• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Eevee and Eeveelutions - Overrated? Overpowered? Overestimated?

Reaction score
People talk about Eevees everywhere. But aside from the fact you can choose an evolution for it, Eevee has never appealed to me so much to make it a must-have in my team. Except for Vaporeon, I find the others quite useless and disappointing when I tried to raise them. Raichu was far better than Jolteon and Flareon's attack stat was wasted. Umbreon was a good wall, but that was it. Espeon died too easily. Leafeon didn't learn anything good, and I didn't raise Glaceon because by the time I reached Icy Rock, I'd be so exhausted and frustrated from the snowy path that I'd just evolve it and box the fox.

So why do people like them so much? Are they useful in a way that I don't know? Is it because of their so-called gorgeous looks? What?

Eevees are popular because they cute and varied

I like how they all have helping hand and generally quick so can quick pound down an enemy in 2v2 before they move

You didn't raise glaceon?.... It's a good Pokemon. I'd rather have it in my party more than any others since it can take down pesky dragons,and has good special attack. >.>

The only Eeveelutions are seem to be decent are Vaporeon, Espeon, Umbreon, and Leafeon. Flareon is still lacking Flare Blitz and other good physical moves, and Jolteon and Glaceon don't have any decent coverage against their weaknesses.

Eeveelutions are so overrated and overhyped. Although they are very good indeed, people give them so much hype that is totally unnecessary to the point of ridiculousness. I love Eevee and its evolutions, don't get me wrong, but they don't need all that attention.

I personally like Eeveelutions and the fact that you can choose which type to evolve it into or even have more than one on your team if you choose. Some of them are pretty good, IMO. I was impressed with Leafeon and I like most of them, although some of them I havent tried using yet. Overall, I think they are descent Pokemon. I plan on using a Glaceon for White 2( Im evolving it in White then trading it over) I just like Eeveelutions, maybe people just like them.

I always like Eevee evolutions. I've actually made a team for them in the game. But since non of them could fly, dive, use strength or anything, they aren't much to look at.

I just like having them for some reason... Always loved Eevee and the evolutions but I'd never really use them I suppose. Collectors items for me :)

Well I like them cause in my experience they turned out to be quite useful ingame.I used Jolteon in my hg, vaporeon in my fr,leafeon in my pt and now I'm using Glaceon in b2.My favs are Leafeon (in pt mine was beast and let's just remember how people underestimete grass types) and Glaceon is amazing and after Froslass my fav ice type pkmn.
Ofc no need to mention their cool designes( except for Flareon- never liked it)

The only Eeveelutions are seem to be decent are Vaporeon, Espeon, Umbreon, and Leafeon. Flareon is still lacking Flare Blitz and other good physical moves, and Jolteon and Glaceon don't have any decent coverage against their weaknesses.

Choice specs Jolteon with HP Grass OHKO-es most of the ground types I've battled. Jolteon is,in my opinion,the best Eeveelution battle-wise probably tied only with Vapoeron.

I'd say Glaceon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, and Flareon are the best for battle. Mainly so I can kick the "eon" out of Jolteon, Espeon, and Umbreon.

Choice specs Jolteon with HP Grass OHKO-es most of the ground types I've battled. Jolteon is,in my opinion,the best Eeveelution battle-wise probably tied only with Vapoeron.

But not everyone is fond of Hidden Power, aside from the really competitive players.

I think Espeon trumps them both because of its Dream World ability.

I don't understand Eevee and its evolutions' popularity... I spend a lot of time on a forum that's mainly made up of preteen and teenage girls, and pretty much every Pokemon fan on there obsesses over Eevee (if not, then they adore Vulpix, Riolu, or Zorua). I can't find a single role play on there that doesn't have at least two Eeveelutions. Everyone claims they're "cute", but I just don't see the appeal (then again, no one on there gets why I like Bug-types). I've resorted to using them a few times in the games (I think I've used Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon), but they never struck me as magnificent there, either.

I had a Vaporeon and an Espeon on my team in HeartGold. They were both VERY fast with high special attack, but Espeon especially seemed to go down way too quickly. Other than those two, I've never used them on my team. I've been thinking about going with a Glaceon when I play through Black2 though.

Overall, I like them aesthetically, they're all very cute and it's fun to decide what and when to evolve them. I do agree that they are over hyped, though.

I think Espeon trumps them both because of its Dream World ability.

While magic bounce is great,it forces Espeon to run a defensively oriented dual-screen set,which doesn't utilize it's great sp.atk and has to make use of it's low def. and hp. Vaporeon,on the other hand,can easily wall most stuff even though it has same def.,but it's hp is huge,it can hit hard on rain teams,be a Wish passer,switch in with Water absoreb etc. Jolteon can also switch-in for free Volt-absorb healing,outspeeds Starmie and ties with Aerodactyl and it has STAB advantage over both of them. Also,if played carefully,it can Volt Switch around and fits perfectly on any team with a rain support,flying-type/s or a levitate users. The only thing it lacks is a more diverse movepool which Vaporeon has.

The Eeveelutions were a mixed bag at times. Glaceon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, and Espeon were the stars of the family tree, while Umbreon, Jolteon, and especially Flareon could be outright the pits. It just depends on how you look at them (no, I don't mean appearance). They all had some form of strength, but Glaceon and Leafeon were the stars of the show.

Leafeon had high Attack and Defense, as well as great Speed, making it a good physical sweeper (and giving Grass-types a bit more backbone). All you really need with Leafeon was Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Aerial Ace, and Dig and it could be a beast. I raised on in my spare Platinum, just to try it. I was not disappointed, and I'm not fond of Grass-types. Likewise, Glaceon (although a pain to evolve at that far point in the region) was best in Defense, Speed, and monstrous Special Attack. All it needed was Ice Beam, Water Pulse, Shadow Ball and Barrier and it could either sweep away its opponents, or stand strong against them.

I've used all of them over the course of the generations. At first, Vaporeon was my top Eevee form, giving me access to a quick and easy-to-raise Water-type. It still is high on my charts. The ones that were not so good were Jolteon, Umbreon, and Flareon. There were better Electric-types out there, so Jolty lost some luster, Umbreon is a good wall, but that's about its only strong point, while Flareon has the worse moves for its stats; more Special moves over Physical. The most "powerful" move Flareon could use with its proper Attack AND STAB is Fire Fang, the rest are all Special based. Espeon is, you can say, the middle-of-the-road; it has wicked moves and great Special Attack and Speed, but like most Psychic-types, it could fall pretty quickly to a Crunch or two.

Really, overall, the Eeveelutions can be categorized very easily: Awesome, Lacking, and Mid-ranged. Awesome would include: Glaceon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, in that order. Lacking would have: Umbreon, Jolteon, Flareon, in that order. And lastly, Mid-ranged is easy to figure out: Espeon. It's a mixed bag, depending on your choice and needs. The best thing about them is the fact you can decide what Eeveelution you want, whenever you want. You've got (currently) seven options. Whichever one fits your play style is the one you can decide you want to use. Sometimes, it's not about type advantage/disadvantage, but maximizing the strengths of the Eeveelution you picked. To put it simply, they are specialized players, fitting a particular niche, and doing that very well. It may mean they are lacking in various fields, but if you want a certain one for a particular situation, then there's a pretty good chance one of the Eeveelution can fit that bill. Just remember it that way: they are designed for a certain purpose in mind (i.e. Espeon: special sweeper, Umbreon: wall, Glaceon: special hitter/defender, etc).

In one sense, they can be overhyped, but most of that hype comes from Eevee's ability to pick the form most needed for a situation, and just stick with that. So, no the Eeveelutions are not totally overrated or overestimated, but some do pull out ahead over others. Basically, you just have to pick the one that best suits what you need it for. For me, for example, Glaceon and Leafeon can totally snuggle up in my party, since they've got what I look for in them. That's just how they roll, so you have to roll with them.

Maybe it's partly because I hate Ice-types in general that I didn't want to raise Glaceon in the first place. How I had been disappointed when my Rampardos barely had to lift a finger to sweep Candice and her rematch team... To be specific, they're weak to my fav types - Rock and Steel, so I don't find them particularly attractive when an Aggron would kill them easily.

And as I said, Jolteon was far less useful than a Raichu cuz the big mouse has a relatively large movepool and is also fast enough.

Umbreon got me disappointed when BW got rid of Dark Pulse - one of the better Dark Type moves. So no Umbreon in Gen5 for me. Flareon still sucks. I prefer Gardevoir over Espeon because of Trace. Leafeon...I guess we could still see it okay, but the more common grass type pokemons seem better to me. Whimsicott with Hurricane would pwn it, no?

The only useful Eeveelution to me is Vaporeon. I almost never chose Squirtle as my starter in FRLG because I knew I'd be getting a Vaporeon - not to mention it put up a good fight against Lorelei.

And as for cuteness... yes they are cute, but not overly cute for all the hype there. Also, there are plenty of other pokemons of the same monotype that are far better - so the eevees seem overrated to me.

Leafeon had high Attack and Defense, as well as great Speed, making it a good physical sweeper (and giving Grass-types a bit more backbone). All you really need with Leafeon was Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Aerial Ace, and Dig and it could be a beast. I raised on in my spare Platinum, just to try it. I was not disappointed, and I'm not fond of Grass-types. Likewise, Glaceon (although a pain to evolve at that far point in the region) was best in Defense, Speed, and monstrous Special Attack. All it needed was Ice Beam, Water Pulse, Shadow Ball and Barrier and it could either sweep away its opponents, or stand strong against them.

It's too bad Dig can't be used in a serious battle, for one could easily switch out to a Pokemon who resists Ground such as a Flying type. And Glaceon? Its speed is awful, so it can't outspeed a Dragon type not named Druddigon, and its defenses are wasted as Ice is a terrible defensive type (being only weak to Ice itself). Water Pulse is not a very good move either due to its BP. Glaceon would've been better if it had a decent Water move and traded one of its defenses for more speed.

I think the Eeveelutions are very versatile for many needs if they can fit on a team. They also have really great designs.

I'm using a Vaporeon on my B2 team. It's the first time I've ever used an Eeveelution on a main team, and I really like it. That HP is MONSTER and she can be a great wall while hitting with Surf.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom