• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Eevee’ Gender Ratio Changed! (Temporarily)

Mr_Creative

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Eevee’s in-game gender ratio is 1:7; meaning for every 1 female, there are 7 males.

However, in Pokémon Shield, I encountered 32 Eevees, and I counted:

18 Males

14 Females

These numbers do not line up with the established 1:7 ratio, so I concluded that in Pokémon Shield, Eevee’s gender ratio is 1:1.

I did test this in Pokémon Violet and Let’s Go! Pikachu, too, but since I found way more males in each game, I think the gender ratio is back to 1:7 in them, but I think it’s wild how Eevee’s gender ratio changed temporarily!

Is there anyone who can confirm that my game cartridge is not bugged and this is actually part of the Gen 8 games? Thanks and God Bless!

I think you need a muuuuuuch bigger sample size for it to even out into actual results? I don't think it's exactly a bug or anything, just a bit of nice luck!

Bulbapedia still says that it's a 1:7 ratio for Eevee, and in the case of Gen 8, that'd rely on the gender threshold for Eevee (00011111), so if you'd like you can look at the hex values yourself somehow — but I think that if there was any change it'd certainly be noted on the page?

Especially because Bulbapedia also notes that yes, there is difference in gender determination between generations, but the 1:7~7:1 system is still kept. Also note that due to a glitch in the Gen 8 games' code, symbol encounters have a 1:1 gender ratio, which could have also interfered with your mini-study.

Because you say that the other games you tested exhibited normal behavior, I believe that the 'temporary change' you think happened could have possibly been luck?

But if you're really curious, take a look at the hex values somehow!

I think you need a muuuuuuch bigger sample size for it to even out into actual results? I don't think it's exactly a bug or anything, just a bit of nice luck!

Bulbapedia still says that it's a 1:7 ratio for Eevee, and in the case of Gen 8, that'd rely on the gender threshold for Eevee (00011111), so if you'd like you can look at the hex values yourself somehow — but I think that if there was any change it'd certainly be noted on the page?

Especially because Bulbapedia also notes that yes, there is difference in gender determination between generations, but the 1:7~7:1 system is still kept. Also note that due to a glitch in the Gen 8 games' code, symbol encounters have a 1:1 gender ratio, which could have also interfered with your mini-study.

Because you say that the other games you tested exhibited normal behavior, I believe that the 'temporary change' you think happened could have possibly been luck?

But if you're really curious, take a look at the hex values somehow!
Ah, I didn’t know this stuff. Thanks for letting me know. I’d thought I’d found something unique. God Bless!

That's just the way statistics works, just because the odds line up a certain way doesn't mean the results will actually pan out that way. It's a 12.5% chance each time, not a 12.5% chance out of all of your attempts.

To illustrate this concept, try flipping a coin 10 times in a row. Even though it's a 50/50 chance of heads or tails you're not going to get 5 heads and 5 tails in every batch of 10 coin flips, sometimes you might get 6 of one and 4 of the other, sometimes you might get 7 and 3, heck sometimes (albeit very rarely) you could even get all 10 of them to come up heads or tails! Each coin flip is an independent event, meaning the outcome of your 2nd, 3rd, etc. coin flip is not affected by the outcome of your 1st.

So don't put too much stock into the actual results of your encounters, it takes MUCH more than simply running into 100 Pokemon to determine if the odds have changed.

That's just the way statistics works, just because the odds line up a certain way doesn't mean the results will actually pan out that way. It's a 12.5% chance each time, not a 12.5% chance out of all of your attempts.

To illustrate this concept, try flipping a coin 10 times in a row. Even though it's a 50/50 chance of heads or tails you're not going to get 5 heads and 5 tails in every batch of 10 coin flips, sometimes you might get 6 of one and 4 of the other, sometimes you might get 7 and 3, heck sometimes (albeit very rarely) you could even get all 10 of them to come up heads or tails! Each coin flip is an independent event, meaning the outcome of your 2nd, 3rd, etc. coin flip is not affected by the outcome of your 1st.

So don't put too much stock into the actual results of your encounters, it takes MUCH more than simply running into 100 Pokemon to determine if the odds have changed.
Yeah, I get that now, my results are not all conclusive, and since I’m no data miner, I can’t be certain. I was just sitting on the idea for a while that what I was finding was something of note that I thought people would be interested to know. So maybe it was a bit of luck or a glitch on my cartridge. Anyway, God Bless!

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom