• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Egg Group Anomalies

SirOni

Driving You Batty
Reaction score
Some egg groups are obvious for certain Pokemon and some address a physical characteristic not represented in a Pokemon's typing. Although there are some Pokemon belonging to certain egg groups that confuse us. The most apparent example for myself is why Tirtouga and especially Archen are in the Water 3 egg group which is usually for invertebrates like crustaceans and mollusks.

Comment on anything that confuses you and try to provide any explanations you can come up with.

HSOWA. 'nuff said.

And non-flying birds in Ground group, like Torchic line. (or maybe Psyduck, although I tend to think it's a platypus)

The Ralts line in the Indeterminate group. It looks like it belongs to the Humanshape group.

The fact that the Zubat line is in the Flying egg group, but not in Ground like most mammals.

Aerodactyl is in the Flying egg group, it should be in Monster, Dragon, or both IMO. I also don`t like the fact that Gligar/Gliscor are in the Bug egg group. I mean, I know they have bug-like features, but they look MUCH more like bats than scorpions and should at least be in the Ground or Flying egg group as well.

The Drapion line is in the bug but also the Water 3 group.

How does that work, Drapion has nothing to do with water!

Scrafty is in the dragon egg group.

I mean, it's a lizard, but not a powerful dragon, if you know what I mean.

Aerodactyl is in the Flying egg group, it should be in Monster, Dragon, or both IMO. I also don`t like the fact that Gligar/Gliscor are in the Bug egg group. I mean, I know they have bug-like features, but they look MUCH more like bats than scorpions and should at least be in the Ground or Flying egg group as well.

Not only are they classified as flyscorpions but they also have stingers, how many bats do you know with stingers?

Archen is an anomaly though. Still, I'm sure there's some clever reason behind it.

Not only are they classified as flyscorpions but they also have stingers, how many bats do you know with stingers?

Archen is an anomaly though. Still, I'm sure there's some clever reason behind it.

So if Gliscor is a scorpionfly, it's stinger is actually it's genitals?

I don't know.

It has a vampire theme going on...

So if Gliscor is a scorpionfly, it's stinger is actually it's genitals? I don't know. It has a vampire theme going on...
Yeah, I guess you can say it`s a vampire bat (I meant in the face, by the way) scorpion that flies by gliding. I guess Gliscor was so awesome to Game Freak when they made it that they thought it should just rape bugs with its stinger and reproduce in some mutant way. Watch out, Caterpie.

Yeah, I guess you can say it`s a vampire bat (I meant in the face, by the way) scorpion that flies by gliding. I guess Gliscor was so awesome to Game Freak when they made it that they thought it should just rape bugs with its stinger and reproduce in some mutant way. Watch out, Caterpie.

Yeah, it's probably supposed to be a scorpion with a hint of bat.

Yeah, it's probably supposed to be a scorpion with a hint of bat.
Yeah, exactly what I think. Ok then, let`s move on- Mawile is in the Fairy egg group. Out of all of the non-fairy like Pokemon in that egg group, this one makes the less sense, imo. I think Human-Like or Amorphous would suit it best, perhaps both. I mean, can you imagine that thing getting it on with Pikachu? :scared:

Cinccino shouldn't be able to breed with Ekans. XD Also, forcing Seviper to breed with Zangoose shouldn't end well...
There are too many to list, like a cat breeding with a bird.

Also, forcing Seviper to breed with Zangoose shouldn't end well...

TBH I thought this was an awesome idea.

More importantly? WHY isn't Flygon in the dragon egg group? DX OK, I can understand why it's in bug but why can't it be in dragon too?

Gardevoir not being in the human-shape egg group is a serious wtf moment. But if it wasn't in the indeterminate egg group, it wouldn't have so many cool moves.

Has anybody ever wondered since the Ground egg group is so huge and contains many mismatched Pokemon that it would have been better for the group that have originally been two or more groups. If so what invented groups would be appropriate?

Has anybody ever wondered since the Ground egg group is so huge and contains many mismatched Pokemon that it would have been better for the group that have originally been two or more groups. If so what invented groups would be appropriate?

Agree. There are 3 Water groups, and only a single Ground group.

In my mind, both Jellicent and Eelektross are in a strange Egg Group. If you are wondering what that group is, it's the Indeterminate Group, together with all other anomalies. Both of them seem like aquatic animals, but besides Gastrodon and Stunfisk, they are incompatible with their "cousins", like Tentacruel (Jellicent) and Gorebyss (for Elelektross).

I also find Lickitung and Lickylicky in the Monster Group strange, considering their lack of monstrous characteristics.

Thanks for reading.

Torkoal, Kecloen, Krookodile and Kommo-o should all be in the monster egg group cause all (but Kommo-o) are in the field egg group, which doesn't feel right

Serperior should also be in the dragon egg group instead of field

EDIT: Armaldo should be in the monster egg group

Last edited:
With Let's Go being a test mule for Gen 8, and lack of breeding in those games, I suspect Game Freak could reset the Egg Groups.

If that happens, I want Eevee and his Eeveelutions to be in Fairy Egg Group too.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom