• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Election Day Extravaganza Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evkl

Person-about-Bulba
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm putting this up in The Real World to increase its visibility. Feel free to get soap box-y, debate it up, but remember to be respectful--all normal forum rules are still in effect. If I'm by a computer tomorrow night, I'll make a new thread that constantly updates returns but is otherwise locked.

Anyway.
Let the election discussion begin!

Good luck getting someone to take you up on that bet.

Last minute pushes are everywhere. Some idiotic 527 is talking about how Obama not wanting to build new nukes is a bad thing. If McCain somehow win this, between nuclear plants and nuclear weapons, I'm buying a radiation hazard suit.

Whoever wins, I'll be glad the political calls are over. They come like clockwork every 15 minutes and they're pissing me off.

Also, I fail to see why the democrats are not in favor of Nuclear plants when a fairly good number of other countries are creating such plants. Nuclear power plants would be a major step forwards in going towards a post-petroleum powered society. Especially considering the inefficiency of wind and solar.

I'm scared. I'm scared. I'm scared I'm scared I'm scared. If McCain wins this thing I'm going to have to find a way to get out of Israel real quick because it's just not going to last. I think there's a big Israeli community in Australia.

(The plan was always to ditch Israel as soon as I possibly can, but I've always wanted a ten-year window in which I could get a degree and plan my immigration smartly. I think I won't even have five years before Israel just plain explodes if McCain/Palin will be in charge.)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/03/obama.grandma/index.html
Obama's grandmother has lost her battle with cancer. Obama is expected to speak on this.

That's awful. =( I hoped she'd make it to November 5th, at the very least...

Also, I fail to see why the democrats are not in favor of Nuclear plants when a fairly good number of other countries are creating such plants.

You really don't need to fuel the nuclear fire. You really, really don't. By now it's overfueled and it won't take long for it to explode if you keep making the damn things.

Yeah, I agree with Misty. I'm so sick of this election. It had such promise, but then everything just plummeted downhill. I'll be voting Obama tomorrow (like it matters here, but at least it'll be one more vote in the popular vote). And I'll be voting against making the right to hunt a part of the state constitution (and I'll save everyone my rant about that).

Also, I fail to see why the democrats are not in favor of Nuclear plants when a fairly good number of other countries are creating such plants. Nuclear power plants would be a major step forwards in going towards a post-petroleum powered society. Especially considering the inefficiency of wind and solar.

Uhhh...wind isn't inefficient. In fact, several states, and several energy businessmen (T. Boone Pickens, anyone?) are making drastic steps in adopting wind technology.

Nuclear has two BIG drawbacks: Meltdowns (VERY rare, but...really...isn't ONE far too many?) and waste. Our current nuclear waste...place/pile's runoff goes directly into Las Vegas's major drinking supply (which explains SO much). Plus, if I recall, most of the halflife for nuclear radiation is somewhere in the 70s, meaning that most of the nuclear waste (if not all of it) is still very much radioactive.

You've forgotten natural gas, clean-burning coal (never understood that one), and hydroelectric (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). And for cars, there's still hydrogen technology, which is proven very viable, if we could just get more fuel stations.

Whoever wins, I'll be glad the political calls are over. They come like clockwork every 15 minutes and they're pissing me off.

That I completely agree with.

There really is no need to fuel neclear fire, like Snake Bandage said, not to mention 'so many other countries are doing it is not a very good reason for the U.S to switch over =P. And solar and wind energy is not being used to it's full potential, in Hawaii and desert states, it can be used to power the entire area without that many problems.

Oh, look, wiki is being cute.

For November 4th, they're going with "Today's featured ArticleS" instead of "Featured Article", featuring both Obama and McCain for today.

...even cuter in that, since they rotated Featured Articles on GMT time, by the time we have results, Obama and McCain won't be featured anymore, so will be editable.

Last edited:
Though I can't vote yet, I'm just glad that tomorrow's election day. Tired of seeing mud slinging every frikken commercial break

I'm scared. I'm scared. I'm scared I'm scared I'm scared. If McCain wins this thing I'm going to have to find a way to get out of Israel real quick because it's just not going to last. I think there's a big Israeli community in Australia.

(The plan was always to ditch Israel as soon as I possibly can, but I've always wanted a ten-year window in which I could get a degree and plan my immigration smartly. I think I won't even have five years before Israel just plain explodes if McCain/Palin will be in charge.)

That's awful. =( I hoped she'd make it to November 5th, at the very least...

You really don't need to fuel the nuclear fire. You really, really don't. By now it's overfueled and it won't take long for it to explode if you keep making the damn things.

I'm sure you remember the 2006 war with Hezbollah well, but it seems you've forgotten that the Iranians were the ones who supplied Hezbollah with all of the rockets that fell on Israel. McCain voted to declare the Iranian Revolutionary Guard the terrorist group that it is, but Obama didn't. Both of them are committed to Israel's safety and the Palestinian peace process, but McCain has proven that he'll take a smart but tough stance against Iran (don't forget 5 Secretaries of State have endorsed him). At the same time, Jesse Jackson is talking about how an Obama administration would sweep out the "Zionist" influence in the US government.

Back to a direclty election-related topic, as a Georgian I'm really interested in how the Senate race will play out. Right now Saxby Chambliss is leading, but within the margin of error. This is extremely significant because Chambliss would be the most likely 60th seat pickup for the Democrats. What's even more interesting is that Chambliss, although ahead, isn't topping 50% of the electorate because of the Libertarian candidate. Under Georgia law, if no candidates get a majority, then there has to be a runoff. If the Democrats top off their Senate gains at 59, and there's a runoff in Georgia, the election drama is far from over. I'm worried that Georgia might become like Iowa or New Hampshire during the primaries, as both the Democrats and Republicans will focus a huge amount of resources and energy on Georgia if a runoff occurs.

Voting to label the military of a sovereign nation a terrorist organization is not smart. It's beyond stupid. And the fact that bill was authored by a senator more loyal to Israel's most hawkish wing than his own state makes it even worse.

And of those five Secretaries of State four are chicken hawks and one was a low rank interrogator. The one who actually had stars on his shoulders and face combat, endorsed Obama.

Democrats are out for blood in the Georgia senate race. We want that little bastard out of office.

I'm sure you remember the 2006 war with Hezbollah well,

I wish I could forget.

but it seems you've forgotten that the Iranians were the ones who supplied Hezbollah with all of the rockets that fell on Israel. McCain voted to declare the Iranian Revolutionary Guard the terrorist group that it is, but Obama didn't. Both of them are committed to Israel's safety and the Palestinian peace process, but McCain has proven that he'll take a smart but tough stance against Iran (don't forget 5 Secretaries of State have endorsed him).

Declaring them a terrorist group would've accomplished nothing, especially since the IRG is a completely legal group in Iran (part of their law enforcement force, I believe) and officially declaring it a terrorist group would've just pissed the Iranians off. I hate the Iranian government, but I don't want them pissed off. They can't nuke YOU from there, but us...

At the same time, Jesse Jackson is talking about how an Obama administration would sweep out the "Zionist" influence in the US government.

You seriously believe that nutcase? All Obama's gonna do is he's going to bitchslap the hell out of us and tell us to grow the hell up already. Eight years of Bush turned our government into a giant spoiled brat and it's time we got an American leader who isn't afraid to say "no" to us. Precious allies or not, we're not the 51st state and the United States doesn't bloody owe us anything.

Voting to label the military of a sovereign nation a terrorist organization is not smart. It's beyond stupid. And the fact that bill was authored by a senator more loyal to Israel's most hawkish wing than his own state makes it even worse.

And of those five Secretaries of State four are chicken hawks and one was a low rank interrogator. The one who actually had stars on his shoulders and face combat, endorsed Obama.

Democrats are out for blood in the Georgia senate race. We want that little bastard out of office.

Wrong, Alexander Haig fought in both Korea and Vietnam. None of those are exactly chickenhawks: after all, Baker was hardly supportive of Bush in the Iraq Study Group and Kissinger pursued detente with Communist China.

The Iranian Revolutionary Guards are not the regular military forces of Iran. There's not really a comparable group elsewhere in the world, but it's essentially a huge militia that exerts itself internationally. If Barack Obama can run around talking about how we're going to go into Pakistan whether they like it or not, I think we can have some frank discussion about what the Revolutionary Guard is doing in the Middle East.

As for the Senate race, I don't know who will win, but it won't be over 50%. I don't know who would be favored in a runoff either, as both sides would have time to zero in on Georgia. Obama would be able to campaign directly for Jim Martin, but Martin wouldn't have the advantage of the black+youth vote surge that's happening right now.

*Looks over his notes* Whatever. Powell was still the only flag officer which was my point.

I can't help but laugh at another 527 ad. They have Wright screaming "God damn America" but the censor bleeps screws up the sound and make it sound like he says "God fuck America".

The problem is, Obama's kind of a softcock on foreign affair issues. He might carry the big stick, but he won't use it. In fact, he may try to snap the stick in half.

I still don't get why Obama wanting to use diplomacy instead of war makes him "softcock".

In the previous thread I had told everyone about the woman who refused to give candy to the kids of Obama supporters. Kieth Olberman has given her the Worst Person in the World title.

If Obama is a softcock on foreign affairs, then America NEEDS a softcock on foreign affair.

Slapping people around and telling them what to do is what you've tried for the past eight years, and the only thing it has accomplished is shoot whatever international credit you had to hell and back.

Big sticks are cool and all, but turning the big stick into "my way or the highway" is the best way to lose all your friends. And without friends, there are limits to even what a big stick can do.

I still don't get why Obama wanting to use diplomacy instead of war makes him "softcock".

In the previous thread I had told everyone about the woman who refused to give candy to the kids of Obama supporters. Kieth Olberman has given her the Worst Person in the World title.

Because the President of Iran isn't playing games here. He has said he wants Israel wiped off the face of the earth, and simple diplomacy isn't going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom