• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Elephant in the room: Infinity Energy (and Keystones I guess)

The Outrage

Reaction score
So are we not going to talk about how modern-day technology in ORAS is also powered by Infinity Energy? Mr. Stone confirms that the Devon parts were part of a motor that helped Submarine Explorer 1 run on the stuff, and we know that the Mosdeep rockets are fueled by it, with the Episode Delta rocket containing more energy than AZ's ultimate weapon.

How exactly was this energy harvested? Was there a "cleaner" source? I know in DPPt, Rowan mentioned that Galactic studied the energy released from Pokemon evolution. Did the Devon Corporation somehow fit their Pokeballs to capture the excess energy in the MEvo-universe? That wouldn't be as harmful (if at all), but then Zinnia still mentions that using the rocket would involve a lot of sacrifices, and Steven basically says "What choice do we have!". At the time, Steven didn't know about alternate dimensions, nor did he believe Zinnia. If the Infinity Energy used to power the current rocket came from safer means, surely he wouldn't have said a line like that....which begs the question of what exactly happened to get that energy.

Then there's the fact that we know Sea Mauville was a facility used to "extract natural resources" from the bottom of the ocean. It was functional in the same generation as Mr. Stone's grandfather. We also know his grandfather developed Infinity Energy, yet it wasn't this new source of energy that ran Sea Mauville out of business--it was concern for Pokemon. Was the natural resources being harvested at Sea Mauville the life energy of Pokemon?

And then there's Keystones. Prof Cozmo says the dimension shifter is going to be powered by Infinity Energy and the human energy found in Keystones. What exactly went into making Keystones? It's already heavily implied that Infinity Energy played a crucial role in the formation of (at least Kalos') Mega Stones.

I'm not one for wanting to imagine Pokemon to be "Darker and Edgier" just for the fun of it, but these are some of the thoughts I've been having after going through the game.

I do think that Infinite Energy should be expanded upon in future games. I think it was meant to finally give us an answer to Mega Evolution, but it just left us with more questions than answers. I wonder what else Infinite Energy can offer besides Mega Evolution. Hopefully the theoretical XY DLC will touch upon this some more, preferably through Zygarde. if not, then I really hope future generations expand upon this concept.

I get the feeling that this "Infinity Energy," Megavolution, and Primal Reversion are all tied to this "life force energy" in the world. (Kind of the same concept of the Lifestream of FFVII.) This energy, vital for life, is the raw source for life and probably what the Devon machines run on. It's also likely that this is what Sea Mauville was mining for... I imagine the Cave of Origin is a wellspring of life energy, where it's most strongly concentrated, and Mt. Pyre is kind of like port for deceased spirits to re-enter the Lifestream the world's energy.

I doubt Devon would suck the life forces directly out of Pokemon, but it is possible, the first and foremost example being the Ultimate Weapon. Devon likely had a less extreme way about it; I'm thinking they might've... I dunno, drilled for it like oil? Or maybe absorb only small amounts of energy at a time, thus not completely killing a Pokemon? The whole thing is a bit dark, now that I'm thinking about it.

This whole infinity energy thing and the hints about Devon Corp being the Mauville Corporation really makes we wonder where Lysandre fits in. It was hinted that Devon Corp was originally the Mauville Corporation but after word about the Sea Mauville's working conditions got out, they went bankrupt. They started up a new company called Devon Corp. I don't trust a word the Devon Corp says. There's more this Infinity Energy than they're saying. I think they're sketchy.

This whole infinity energy thing and the hints about Devon Corp being the Mauville Corporation really makes we wonder where Lysandre fits in. It was hinted that Devon Corp was originally the Mauville Corporation but after word about the Sea Mauville's working conditions got out, they went bankrupt. They started up a new company called Devon Corp. I don't trust a word the Devon Corp says. There's more this Infinity Energy than they're saying. I think they're sketchy.

I think you're on to something there! However, I don't think Steven is aware of what his father has been doing with the corporation. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would take part in something like this, at least not knowingly.

Last edited:

I think your on to something there! However, I don't think Steven is aware of what his father has been doing with the corporation. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would take part in something like this, at least no knowingly.

I made a joke on tumblr about Devon doing stuff that affects Hoenn negatively and Steven being the secret mastermind behind everything months ago. I'm going to be surprised if what I joked about turns out to be half true. I'd like to see what's behind everything.

I think your on to something there! However, I don't think Steven is aware of what his father has been doing with the corporation. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would take part in something like this, at least no knowingly.

I'm sure Steven's aware. Zinnia called him out on it, and his response was basically "What choice do we have?" If there wasn't anything insidious about what they were doing (or at least how they managed to get so much Infinity Energy for the rocket in a short amount of time), he wouldn't be responding like that. That isn't to say that I think he's a bad guy, there just wasn't that many options left so sacrifices were made for the greater good (which is more than what AZ did; he sacrificed how many lives just to revive his Pokemon, and then used that energy to wreak revenge). In the sliding scale of morality, Steven was at least in the grey zone. AZ was just awful (which is why I kind of chuckled at this guy on Mt. Pyre who laments that while he wished his Pokemon never died, he thought that bringing it back and giving it immortality without its consent is worse)

Of course, Zinnia's kind of hypocritical there--she aimed to summon Rayquaza by means of Primal Groudon and Kyogre (which was kind of strange since she apparently had a much less destructive plan B, which at worst was just theft)

Seems to me like this only adds more questions in regards to M-Evo.

Wait, wait, wait. Doesn't infinty energy just power the primals? From what text I have read there was a clear distinction that the energy created through the bonds of people is different from the energy of the planet itself, which is why Primals are treated the way they are in battle. The keystones being made of it is an entirely different issue, bu I'm glad that they are trying to explain itwith concrete stuff, and not just through the power of friendship. The real interesting bit is the mega stones themselves. If infinite energy is the life force of Pokemon, and its a concetrared mass of infinite energy, then does that mean mega evolving essentially revives a pokrmon within yours? More importantly, this opens the possibility of finding a way to make Pokemon permanently mega evolve, cause the mega stone mon possibly is the mega species of that mon. Would love to see megas turn into a branch of its own tbh.

'm sure Steven's aware. Zinnia called him out on it, and his response was basically "What choice do we have?" If there wasn't anything insidious about what they were doing (or at least how they managed to get so much Infinity Energy for the rocket in a short amount of time), he wouldn't be responding like that. That isn't to say that I think he's a bad guy, there just wasn't that many options left so sacrifices were made for the greater good (which is more than what AZ did; he sacrificed how many lives just to revive his Pokemon, and then used that energy to wreak revenge). In the sliding scale of morality, Steven was at least in the grey zone. AZ was just awful (which is why I kind of chuckled at this guy on Mt. Pyre who laments that while he wished his Pokemon never died, he thought that bringing it back and giving it immortality without its consent is worse)
"What choice do we have?" isn't completely selling it to me, doesn't necessarily mean he knows what she's talking about. Maybe the original quotes will convince me more, if you know what they are. Your theory is fun.

I'm quite sure he is aware - at least to some extent. He's the heir to Devon, and he's likely has access to all of the corporation's business.

While I'm not entirely sure (I skimmed through some of the dialogue and missed a bit) but did they not mention something about using human life energy?
I was under the assumption that Devon was planning on sacrificing human lives to create the energy - possibly from another universe, even.

And was it me or was Zinnia having a dig at the alternate universe thing? The other Hoenn she was referring to...do you suppose it's the RSE one?

As for Steven, I'm not sure if he's aware. I think he probably believes only what he's informed of, or at least, doesn't want to believe in a darker side to Devon.

Either way this seems strange to me. I never pegged Devon as an evil corporation but now there's so many questions.

Side-note, they mentioned they use the Warp technology powered by Infinite Energy to create Warp Panels and other household items you use every day. I'm wondering if the Escape Rope has one of those doohickies in its fiber or something. It would explain a lot, actually.

Zygarde is the protector of the land, and say that Devon as well as other corporations are searching for this energy, such as Sea Mauville, which was a facility used to "extract natural resources" from the bottom of the ocean. By doing this they are disturbing the environment for such power and if the ecosystem falls into disarray, it appears and reveals its power.. Thus Zygarde comes, who could and probly is the source of Infinite energy, but in order to use this power it needs to learn
Thousand Arrows or Thousand Waves
and like Rayqauza with be able to realese its true power through Mega Evolution. thus the story line for Z Beta and Z Psy is born. :thumbup:

Zygarde is the protector of the land, and say that Devon as well as other corporations are searching for this energy, such as Sea Mauville, which was a facility used to "extract natural resources" from the bottom of the ocean. By doing this they are disturbing the environment for such power and if the ecosystem falls into disarray, it appears and reveals its power.. Thus Zygarde comes, who could and probly is the source of Infinite energy, but in order to use this power it needs to learn
Thousand Arrows or Thousand Waves
and like Rayqauza with be able to realese its true power through Mega Evolution. thus the story line for Z Beta and Z Psy is born. :thumbup:

That's nice, but Zygarde is specifically to balance kalos according to its legend. The world could go to the Distortion World and back but Zygarde wouldn't lay a fing--er, slither - on anything beyond Kalos

Does anyone else feel like Infinity Energy is basically the Pokemon universe version of nuclear power?

For starters, the concept of Pokemon itself takes a lot of inspiration from daikaiju media (ie the big monsters that stomp on Tokyo for funsies). Godzilla was created from a tragedy that killed many people, and was likewise a terrible force of destruction. But over time, the idea of kaiju changed, and there were giant monsters that fought for the good of humankind and other benevolent reasons.

Tajiri: What's more important is that the monsters are controllable by the players. It could be the monster within yourself, [representing] fear or anger, for example. And they are put in capsules...

TIME: None of the monsters is really evil. So how do you know if one of them is with you or against you?
Tajiri: Think of it like this. If a horse runs over you and you die, then the horse is bad. But if you're riding the horse, the horse is your ally. So, if you have a monster in your collection, then it's considered good. But if not, it's still not considered bad, because it could be your friend one day.

Likewise, the power of Pokemon (biologically manifested as Infinity Energy) can be used for good or evil purposes, depending on the person using it. It was used to fuel the Ultimate Weapon, but it's also suggested to power Mega-Evolution. Mega-Evolution is the result of the communication between trainer and Pokemon, and the emotions that result from the pair being able to connect so deeply are what releases the Energy lying inside the Keystone and Megastone.

There's also the fact that IRL France has a huge amount of nuclear reactors generating power.

So in a nutshell, Infinity Energy is the emotional/life energy of Pokemon (and probably humans too) as well as being an analogue for nuclear energy.

So after Delta Episode Mr. Stone says:
Mr.Stone said:
Thanks to the heroic actions of you young people and your Pokemon teams… we have been able to dispel the threat of the asteroid without a single loss!
Perhaps I have put too much of my faith in technology promise alone.
Perhaps my belief that the sacrifice of some might be necessary to guarantee the safety of many - perhaps it was wrong all along.
He says without a single loss – does it mean they took life energies of Pokemon to fuel the rocket, but gave them back after they were no longer needed?

He says without a single loss – does it mean they took life energies of Pokemon to fuel the rocket, but gave them back after they were no longer needed?

I guess that would depend on how the energy is harvested. If they haven't figured out a way of doing it that doesn't kill the Pokémon being drained, then I don't think they would be able to - obviously there's nothing to say for certain that they couldn't, but personally the idea of them just being able to snap their fingers and give the energy back to resurrect those Pokémon seems a bit too... easy. Maybe they had the Pokémon all ready to be drained, but hadn't actually done it yet?

I guess that would depend on how the energy is harvested. If they haven't figured out a way of doing it that doesn't kill the Pokémon being drained, then I don't think they would be able to - obviously there's nothing to say for certain that they couldn't, but personally the idea of them just being able to snap their fingers and give the energy back to resurrect those Pokémon seems a bit too... easy. Maybe they had the Pokémon all ready to be drained, but hadn't actually done it yet?

Hmm. With this revelation, maybe this might mean that the Infinity Energy from the Pokémon was donated? Y'know, like how some people donate blood IRL.

I think that we're all sort of forgetting something about the Mossdeep Space Center's space exploration program... Its manned spaceflight. The Infinity Energy is completely irrelevant to the mention of sacrifices and managing to avert crisis without a single loss , looking at it that way. The idea here being that the rocket itself would have likely been implicated in the dimensional transfer via the Link Cable, causing the loss of life of whoever was aboard, or even failing the activation of the Link Cable, could serve as a suicide bomb to save the world at large.

Alternatively, the sacrifices spoke of may have simply been the lives of the people who worked on the original Infinite Energy project to begin with. The logs within Sea Mauville heavily imply that the staff was worked half to death, and obviously that meant a major sacrifice in terms of family life and social development, and of course the implication that not everyone in that working environment actually made it out alive.

It simply makes no sense to me that the Devon Corporation would be testing and fielding technology that regularly sacrificed the lives of countless Pokémon for mere research purposes, in a world where a group of guys gets their tunnel project shut down by the local government for being too noisy.

Infinity Energy, which is used for Mega Evolution, seems to come from humans and Pokémon. AZ probably sacrificed Pokémon because they were easier to obtain (through catching) than kidnapping humans, although I'm sure he found a few of those as well.

Natural Energy, which is used for Primal Reversion, only comes from nature. It existed when the world was young, and just like the magma in the Earth's surface fell down to the core when the Earth cooled down after a few million years, so did Natural Energy most likely sink into the world. Since the difference between the RSE universe and the ORAS universe is AZ's weapon, it HAD to have dislodged a massive reservoir of NE during the war, causing the battle of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre that the Draconids witnessed.

I definitely believe that if Infinity Energy and Natural Energy are being harvested, they're being done so in a way that is harmless to humans and Pokémon. Remember, AZ wanted everyone to suffer like he did. It's entirely possible that he could've reborn Floette without killing anyone, but instead chose to supercharge his weapon 'cause he felt like it.

Like Sophia Aetheria suggested, if anything, the loss of life would've probably been the pilot of the rocket and no one else. Rockets usually have a team of 1-6 people on it, so those people would've gone with the meteor into the RSE universe or died in a suicide blast to destroy the meteor.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom