• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Elite 4, do you train prior?

Blockhead Pippi

North America's only Pippi fan
Reaction score
How ready is your Pokemon team to face the Elite 4 when you first reach them? Are they just about the right level, or severely underleveled?

For me, my Pokemon are always underleveled whenever I reach the E4 in any given game. Often my team is either 10 or 20 levels short, and then I have to spend several days training them all to be fit to fight them.

This is especially worse in Generation I. As much as I love that generation, I groan everytime I reach Victory Road, because my Pokemon are usually around the 30's then, whereas the Elite 4 and Blue are around the late 50's to 60's. So I have to train them about 30 levels for each. It's so irritating.

The only game where I did not train my Pokemon for an eternity prior to the E4 was probably in White, but that was mostly because I got impatient and fought them early. Still won and still got to beat N and Ghetsis, but I pretty much had to empty my bag of items doing so. I did have to train them before re-challenging the E4 though.

So, how about you guys?

I train my team to reach around the same level as the Elite 4's as much as possible. It was impossible for me get my Platinum team to their lvl 60s faster, when I first thought their levels will be the same as D/P's, so I went with lvl 55.

I train a little bit purposely, I usually get done on the victory road.

My standard has always been to raise my Pokémon 10 levels between the final Gym and the Elite 4, so more often than not, they are ready.

I train till I have levels that are higher than the first member of the 4.

I rush through victory road, and then train my Pokemon up until they are at the nearest level of 10 below the Champions strongest. Ie if Champion has a level 68, i will raise mine all to level 60

I always grind for a while before every new Gym so that my Pokémon are either the same level or just a few higher. Normally, if you keep doing this throughout the game, your Pokémon should be at least level 50-60 by the time it's time for the Elite 4.

I usually level grind so that my Pokemon are about 3 or 4 levels higher than they were when I arrived at the league. I would train them further, but I always get bored out of my mind and decide to take the Elite Four on early, hoping strategy will pull me through.

Most of the time they're a couple of level under the first E4 member, or just about even, I think. I don't really grind that often before facing them, but I just battle the E4 again and again, increasing the levels until I beat them.

But it has happened occasionally that I'm very underleveled when I reach them.

Yeah, always. I try to level all of my Pokemon to at least equal those of the third or fourth member, to make things smooth. In Black & White, however, it was a lot easier as every member of the E4 had the same leveled Pokemon.

Not really, i find it much more fun if it's a challenge. Usually I'm a few levels bellow the first elite four member.

I guess i tend to over level them by ten levels in the first 4 gens. However in my black version i overdid it cuz i havent play black for a certain period of time and i just kept on training them and i forgot what i was suppose to be doing. All of my team was at LV. 80 by the time i got to the Elite Four... :sweatlol:

My standard has always been to raise my Pokémon 10 levels between the final Gym and the Elite 4, so more often than not, they are ready.

You know, I've always kind of wondered if that was always the intention with the developers.

I really should be doing that more often in normal runs.

Yes, since there's always a level gap between the last gym and Elite 4. I usually just match the level of the highest-leveled Pokemon in the Elite 4 (or in B/W's case, Elite 6).

usually the victory road is enough to get around 5 levels beneath the E4! But the starter is on the same level! the rest is a little behind! The E4 differs with the 8th gym leader about max 10 levels! and so I don't have that problem! My problem is I never catch the right Pokes to defeat the E4

In most cases, I'm about seven levels below the elite four (depending on the game) due to victory road and whatnot, so normally, I need to train before facing the Elite Four (though I sometimes just spam revives/potions if leveling up is taking too long, or if I'm ten levels below or more).

I rarely ever do level grinding, as by the time I get to the Pokemon League my Pokemon will always match the third E4 member at least. The reason my Pokemon are always in their mid-50s by the Pokemon League is because I battle every trainer in the game, and I rarely ever run away from battles either, which means I'm barely ever underleved.

I usually train until I reach the E4's levels, even if it will take a whole month. Though all I needed to beat it on White were my Lv.50 Reuniclus and my Lv. 64 Hydreigon with good movesets and strategy.Well, at least that extra training prevented me from losing a battle when I started to face trainers with Pokémon 10 levels higher than mine.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom