• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Emerald game corruption...

Saelyra

Oh Noes!
Reaction score
I had bought two pokemon Emerald version games off of ebay some months ago, from different people; one I gave to my sister, which she began playing, and the other, I lent to my friend to entertain himself on the long car ride back to where he lives in another city. I only just got that one back to play for myself.

Now, about a month ago my sister said that her game's save file corrupted and she had to start over. I thought this was odd, but figured she must have turned it off while saving or somesuch. Now, just yesterday I picked up my copy of the game and began a new save file. I've now had to start over three times because the save game file sems to corrupt every other time I save. Is this known to happen with Emerald version? Perhaps the cartridge was damaged in the shipping process (from Hong Kong, I think it was?) Maybe I just got faulty copies someone else was trying to resell to get their money back off of?

If this isn't known to happen frequently with Emerald, then I'll just go out and buy two new copies off the shelf locally, but if it is, then I don't really see the point in buying it again just to have the files deleted later :/

Ooh man, that sucks. I haven't heard of Emerald corrupting itself before, but the most recent game I have played is Crystal, so what do I know?

It's risky buying stuff like that overseas. Sorry hon--hopefully, you will have better luck next time.

Never buy Pokemon games off eBay. Always buy them in well-known stores like Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

TK n Happy Ness said:
Never buy Pokemon games off eBay. Always buy them in well-known stores like Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

Yeah, I hadn't known that previously... >_> I had just gotten an assortment of various items off of ebay (some figures, a PS2 game I couldn't get elsewhere, etc..) and at the time figured I might as well get my two emerald copies off of there aswell. Now I know that most of the pokemon games on ebay seem to be pirated copies... :/ I'm now pretty certain that my copy is indeed pirated, as it has all the signs (clocks dont work, constant file corruption, sloppy print job on cover, booklet only has 10 pages yet refers to a page 23..)

Now I'm just wondering if the *real* copies of Emerald don't have problems with files being deleted as well. If they don't, then I'll get one from EBgames or somesuch.l

From personal experience, I would say the store-bought copies work just fine. I've probably had about 6 Emerald games completed with no problem at all, and thus seems very reliable to me. I'd say your best bet is to purchase it at your local game store, I certainly wouldn't expect it would give you any problems.

Saelyra said:
Now I know that most of the pokemon games on ebay seem to be pirated copies... :/ I'm now pretty certain that my copy is indeed pirated, as it has all the signs (clocks dont work, constant file corruption, sloppy print job on cover, booklet only has 10 pages yet refers to a page 23..)

Now I'm just wondering if the *real* copies of Emerald don't have problems with files being deleted as well. If they don't, then I'll get one from EBgames or somesuch.l

Same dilemna with me.. (mine's regarding FireRed).. i think both of us were able to get the Taiwan version... i have the same problems (specially the 10 paged leaflet...) :disgust:

i'm scared of things like this happening so I ask to play it as a demo at the store first. (I don't know if your mall does let you, but give it a shot next time.)

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom