• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

End of a Volume, what happens to the pokemon?

Roulette

The People's Champion
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm nearing the end of Volume 1 in my first fan fic, and I want the main character to go to a new region for volume 2. I also would like the character to swap out all of his pokemon, for natives of the next gen (which will be a canon region, possibly Kanto or Hoenn), but I don't know how to make a believable reason to leave his other pokemon behind. I don't watch the anime a lot, so how does Ash usually do it? Keep in mind, this doesn't inclue his starter, only his other five party pokemon.

In short, I want him to keep the pokemon, but not take them to the next region. I guess I should say, the pokemon will stay with the regional professor, but I need a reason why they are, nt just "I want new pokes, you guys are old and boring.". Anyway, if you can help, I thank you!

So, you have the Ash conundrum.

There's no easy answer to this. Any method you use will leave something to be desired.

I could make a few suggestions, but they'd be far from ideal.

Well, since my fic is based 15-25 years pre-Red, the PC system isn't around yet, so his pokemon will just stay with the prof. I just don't know why. I want the protagonist to have new pokemon, for obvious reasons, but the character can't just leave his others behind for no reason. I'll spoiler this:
I know what I'm doing with his starter, it wouldn't be ideal to start a region with a Salamence, so I figure I'll get rid of it as well, and I have a special way I'm doing it.

Maybe I'll have him travel to the next region on a ship or something, and they won't let him take pokemon on board. When he gets to the next region, he'll decide to just use the regional pokemon instead? Idk, that is subject to change.

Lol thanks for that! I'll figure something out. I have about 10 chapters left so that gives me time to think it over.

1) All of his Pokemon catch a deadly virus and die.

2) Strict Pokeimmigration laws.

3) Trainer is such a dick that he gets bored of having strong Pokemon.

The weak reasonings are endless! =D

Genius! Looks like all of Derrick's pokemon are contracting pokeherpes in chapter 8...lol jk

talking about the "blinking green light of death" that the mitsubishi tvs get? lol

No, they get killed by flashes of green light.

(A cookie to whoever understands the reference fully.)

Harry Potter.

I'd say it makes sense to have them be forced to be left behind by Kanto/Hoenn law. Like, they don't want invasive species being brought from other regions and ruining their ecosystem. Sort of like the second thing Gastly's Mama suggested.

No, they get killed by flashes of green light.

(A cookie to whoever understands the reference fully.)

You are talking about how in Harry Potter, he is initially told by his uncle and aunt that his parents died in a car crash, only to learn the truth on his eleventh birthday that they were actually killed by the Dark Lord Voldemort. At the moment he learns the truth from his new friend Hagrid, he vaguely remembers the 'green light' a.k.a. The Killing Curse.

To answer the question, the anime way of doing this is to have ASh's pokemon stay with Professor Oak, as Ash likes to start new regions off fresh with only PIkachu.

You are talking about how in Harry Potter, he is initially told by his uncle and aunt that his parents died in a car crash, only to learn the truth on his eleventh birthday that they were actually killed by the Dark Lord Voldemort. At the moment he learns the truth from his new friend Hagrid, he vaguely remembers the 'green light' a.k.a. The Killing Curse.

AVADA KEDAVRA!

Lol i was joking, I've read all the harry potter books twice. So its settled, at the end of this volume, voldemort will come through and kill Derrick's pokemon, thanks! lol

...ALIENS. PERFECT.

Anyway, Ash normally just shoves all of his Pokémon with Professor Oak. Though nobody wants to do that, so I would suggest either Pokémigration laws as suggested earlier or, um, having them all stolen. :c

Pokeimmigration seems the best one, but I'm going to randomly make up a dumb one:
His Pokemon all get kidnapped and he gets knocked out, but sees a Team Magma/Aqua/Rocket Ship taking them away. Therefore he tracks them to Hoenn/Kanto/Sinnoh/Johto and tries to find his Pokemon, and has to catch new ones to get them back. Eventaully, he can run into them and send them to the Professor.

AVADA KEDAVRA!
FUCK DAT SHIT! Lady, say hello to my twin cores!

I like the idea of Poké Rus mutating into a bad virus that spreads quickly throughout all the regions apart from the one he goes to. Thus, the region says 'FUCK DAT SHIT! GET YOUR POKÉS OUT OF MY COUNTRY!'.
I was actually going to use this for my old, old, old fic to make a sequel but it's abandoned.

Hmm... Sort of like The Andromeda Strain, but with Pokémon.

Neat.

My idea of an epic ending of a story-

Charecter is allowed to take Pokémon to the next region. He arrives by plane (or whatever) and is mugged by a Pokémon robber (maybe a bad guy for the new story or something)

Then the opening for the next one
With all his Pokémon stolen the injured Charecter is found my the regional professor and is given a new Pokémon. He could try looking for his stolen Pokémon while battling the gyms in the region.

Just my idea for your story! :)

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom