• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English character names

Shiny Noctowl

Go! PikaBot!
Reaction score
Guess the English names for the human characters in Black/White!

My guesses:
Prof. Araragi - Prof. Willow (sounds better than Prof. Yew)
Makomo - ?
Cheren - Charlie or Jared (both sound sort of like Cheren)
Beru - Belle/Bella
N - N

Last edited:
I think the professor will keep her Japanese name. I like the way it sounds, and I dunno, it just feels feminine to me and thus is appropriate.

Araragi will be called Prof. Orchid.
Makomo will be called Cheren's Mom.
Beru will be called Bella
Cheren will be called Charlie (I still think it's a s/he)
N will be called Atlas (Bioshock ref!)

I think the professor will keep her Japanese name. I like the way it sounds, and I dunno, it just feels feminine to me and thus is appropriate.
Last names needn't sound feminine, even for females. The only thing necessary is that it be some sort of tree, preferably a rather well known kind of tree.

Bella will work, and N could stick. Dunno about the others though. Actually, Professor Willow sounds fine.

Araragi will be called Prof. Orchid.
Sounds good.
The_Noob said:
Makomo will be called Cheren's Mom.
Yep
The_Noob said:
Beru will be called Bella
Twilight reference ftl. It does sound nice, but it will forever remind me of Bella Swan.
The_Noob said:
Cheren will be called Charlie (I still think it's a s/he)
Also in Twilight, Charlie Swan. And it's just an ugly name in general.
The_Noob said:
N will be called Atlas (Bioshock ref!)
No. Not ever.

^ Just because a shitty character had that name doesn't mean the name is bad. Either way, I think it will be Belle or Bell, not Bella.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody's suggested an already-taken name, either. Remember Hihidaruma = Infernape?

The thing that's wrong with Maple is that it's been used by me in a fanfic. As a male character.

Prof. Araragi- Prof. Yew
Makomo- Idk...
Beru- Belle, Bella is overrated. And if they name her Bella, Cheren better not be Charlie.
Or the rival Edward *shivers in disgust*
N... Maybe something like Nathan?

Professor Araragi—Professor Yew
Daughter:Beru—Belle—Named by player​
Makomo—Ms. Rice? In english, it's used as a name for stems of wild rice.
Son:Cheren—Charlie—Named by player​

Last names needn't sound feminine, even for females. The only thing necessary is that it be some sort of tree, preferably a rather well known kind of tree.

I know that names to not need to sound masculine or feminine. I merely stated that the reason that I would like it to stay the same as the Japanese name is because I, as me personally no one else, think it sounds feminine and that has an appeal to me.

Here's my next guess for names.
Cheren could be, against the general boring majority's Charlie, called Chester. Will this happen? Probably not.

Prof. Araragi - Prof. Yew
Makomo - Melinda
Cheren - Christian
Belle - Belle
N - N

I have no doubt in my mind that we're going to get some kind of tree/plant for the Prof.'s name. I'm not really sure about all the others though... I'm wondering if "N" is just his codename for some reason.:-/

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom