• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English dubs of first three Pokémon movies coming to Region 1 on Blu-ray disc: Arriving ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
English dubs of first three Pokémon movies coming to Region 1 on Blu-ray disc: Arriving ...

For the first time ever in Region A, Viz Media, in partnership with Warner Home Video, will release the English dubs of the first three Pokémon movies on Blu-ray disc in a limited edition triple feature Steelbook pack.

Continue reading...

I know I should be happy about this, but I'm very disappointed in the covers... They're so bland and not at all similar to the original ones... How hideous, really...

81UXefgFMKL._SX385_.jpg

81SNfDSxaLL._SX385_.jpg

815M1%2BcWlVL._SX385_.jpg

81PCfMCZtfL._SX385_.jpg

Kinda late on the news there! Either way, as much as it sucks that they refuse to include special features anymore, but I still have those old DVDs if I want to watch them. I am just thrilled to finally see these released in 16:9.

Also, I am liking the steelbook case the Blu-ray is coming in. Sure, the art is bland, but I wouldn't call it really bad either (the new DVD cases I don't like at all, but the Bluray set art I don't mind).

Geez, Viz, what is it with you and lazy covers? o_O

Besides, I doubt there will be much to them. One can do more with Blu-ray than DVD, but all know Viz WON'T. :(

Heck, I'm not even sure if they'll look as good/sound as good as Blu-rays are supposed to...

I would definitely upgrade my DVDs to these blurays, if it weren't for the fact that the special features have been removed.

Very strange that Pokemon hasn't officially announced anything despite them coming out early next month.

The lack of additional features is likely a contractual issue-I'm guessing that after the original rights expired (WB apparently had 10 years after the theatrical release to sell them), the films kind of splintered after that. We know that the shorts are somehow separate (the AU distributor wasn't able to secure them for last month's release), and I wouldn't be surprised if the same held true for the others (including the extended version of "Mewtwo's Origin").

I'd much rather have these out now (in time for the 20th anniversary of the franchise) than wait even longer for more complete versions. TPCI has a small staff, and that's probably why it's taken so long.

Very strange that Pokemon hasn't officially announced anything despite them coming out early next month.

The lack of additional features is likely a contractual issue-I'm guessing that after the original rights expired (WB apparently had 10 years after the theatrical release to sell them), the films kind of splintered after that. We know that the shorts are somehow separate (the AU distributor wasn't able to secure them for last month's release), and I wouldn't be surprised if the same held true for the others (including the extended version of "Mewtwo's Origin").
Something tells me that even if they were able to secure the rights, there's still a chance that they would not be able to include Pikachu & Pichu, due its banning in Japan. Not necessarily, but highly likely. I'm still excited for this release, if only for the movies finally being in widescreen. I'm probably still going to keep my 2009 The First Three Movies set for the bonus features, though.

I'm not even sure an HD version of "Pichu and Pikachu" even exists, in Japan or anywhere else.

BlackButterfree said:
I'm very disappointed in the covers... They're so bland and not at all similar to the original ones... How hideous, really...

They're at least better than the hideous covers the first two movies had back in the early 2000s.

I'm not even sure an HD version of "Pichu and Pikachu" even exists, in Japan or anywhere else.

The version of Pokemon 3 on iTunes US from 2009-early 2011 had the short and was available in HD (rental only-purchase was 480p widescreen). I know the 480p version still exists because if you bought it back then you can still download it.

They're at least better than the hideous covers the first two movies had back in the early 2000s.

Actually, the original dub cover of 2000 is one of my favorite movie posters ever, but that's another discussion.

I know I should be happy about this, but I'm very disappointed in the covers... They're so bland and not at all similar to the original ones... How hideous, really...

81UXefgFMKL._SX385_.jpg

81SNfDSxaLL._SX385_.jpg

815M1%2BcWlVL._SX385_.jpg

81PCfMCZtfL._SX385_.jpg

I'm with @BlackButterfree on this one. I'd rather have
Movie_1_poster.png
P2kposter.jpg
SpellOfTheUnown_poster.jpg

than some cheap stock vectors. Not that that's going to stop me from getting this set, though.

Last edited:

Speak for yourself, the posters are awesome.

Movie_1_poster.png

P2kposter.jpg

than some cheap stock vectors. Not that that's going to stop me from getting this set, though.

These all slay me so, so hard. :'( How dare GameFreak not give these movies those covers?

Movie_1_poster.png
P2kposter.jpg

...are spoilers necessary for posters/covers that've been around for over 15 years? :confused:

...are spoilers necessary for posters/covers that've been around for over 15 years? :confused:
No, but they're necessary to get them to show up in the post (and also so as not to make mobile browsers lag).

BlackButterfree said:
Speak for yourself

Well, yes, I obviously am speaking for myself.

I think the posters 4Kids made up for the first two movies were ugly as shit. You think they're awesome.

Sometimes people have different opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom