• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces info fo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces inf

It has been 22 Nov in Asia, Australia and Eastern Europe. :|
Still waiting :|

It's for the US site :I

Re: English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces inf

It has been 22 Nov in Asia, Australia and Eastern Europe. :|
Still waiting :|

I'm assuming the site is run by Nintendo of America. And here in America, on the east coast, it's 5:17 P.M., November 21st.

So we might still have quite a wait ahead of us...

i don't want to wait...

with a mustache...

This reminds me...there's a cycle that's about to begin!

Beginning of a New Generation
* Japanese names are revealed. People use the raw translation. Or Pokemon are simply called "that _______ Pokemon".
* Names begin to be romanticized. Multiples romanizations exist. Most people either use the one they like the best, or stick with the raw translation.
* Official romanizations appear. By now, the Japanese names are ingrained in most fan's minds, and they think that the names are "perfect" and this will be the Generation where NOA will keep all the names intact!
* A Legendary/Lucario has their English name revealed. It is exactly the same, only with the name properly romanticized instead of a raw translation. People freak out and declare the name ruined.
* Pokemon begin to appear with completely different names from their Japanese counterparts. Disbelief occurs when people discover that the perfectly acceptable name of "Ishizumai" has been replaced with a pun.
* A change in NOA, which may have no part in the names, is blamed. "The names were better when Nob was in charge!"
* "There's no way I'm using that name...I'm going to nickname it its Japanese name when it comes out...hah, Gamefreak won't stop me from still naming it Futachimaru!"
* Melkor/Serebii leaks all the English names. Total meltdown. The series is ruined...domestically!
* Games come out. People buy the English version regardless. Forget about the whole naming issue for the most part.
* Names begin to become accepted across the fandom. Most fans forget the Japanese names entirely.
* Someone uses a Japanese name still. "NOT EVERYONE REMEMBERS THE JAPANESE NAMES YOU ELITIST!"
End of a Generation
This is soooo true

I'm assuming the site is run by Nintendo of America. And here in America, on the east coast, it's 5:17 P.M., November 21st.

So we might still have quite a wait ahead of us...

i don't want to wait...

with a mustache...

Which raises the question: When are they going to update? Will it be at midnight, or sometime in the morning or (God forbid) even in the afternoon?

Which raises the question: When are they going to update? Will it be at midnight, or sometime in the morning or (God forbid) even in the afternoon?

I think they usually update at midnight, but I could be wrong.

I hope they update at midnight, but I'd be fine if they updated in the morning. If they wait until the afternoon, however, then we'll have a problem.

With a mustache.

Rusty Shackleford said:

Beginning of a New Generation
* Japanese names are revealed. People use the raw translation. Or Pokemon are simply called "that _______ Pokemon".
* Names begin to be romanticized. Multiples romanizations exist. Most people either use the one they like the best, or stick with the raw translation.
* Official romanizations appear. By now, the Japanese names are ingrained in most fan's minds, and they think that the names are "perfect" and this will be the Generation where NOA will keep all the names intact!
* A Legendary/Lucario has their English name revealed. It is exactly the same, only with the name properly romanticized instead of a raw translation. People freak out and declare the name ruined.
* Pokemon begin to appear with completely different names from their Japanese counterparts. Disbelief occurs when people discover that the perfectly acceptable name of "Ishizumai" has been replaced with a pun.
* A change in NOA, which may have no part in the names, is blamed. "The names were better when Nob was in charge!"
* "There's no way I'm using that name...I'm going to nickname it its Japanese name when it comes out...hah, Gamefreak won't stop me from still naming it Futachimaru!"
* Melkor/Serebii leaks all the English names. Total meltdown. The series is ruined...domestically!
* Games come out. People buy the English version regardless. Forget about the whole naming issue for the most part.
* Names begin to become accepted across the fandom. Most fans forget the Japanese names entirely.
* Someone uses a Japanese name still. "NOT EVERYONE REMEMBERS THE JAPANESE NAMES YOU ELITIST!"
End of a Generation

I've been saying this for years. The fact that people are so quick to throw away the names they've been using for the past six months or so is disgusting. The Japanese names aren't beta names, or placeholder names, or any of that.

Yeah, I had you in mind when I wrote the last phase of the cycle. :p

I've been saying this for years. The fact that people are so quick to throw away the names they've been using for the past six months or so is disgusting. The Japanese names aren't beta names, or placeholder names, or any of that.

... We're talking about a fucking kid's videogame here. I don't think mere names of fictional characters shouldn't matter, it's the game itself that counts. People automatically switching from the Japanese names to the English names for whatever reason is just how they roll... it's not like it's a crime or somethin'.

If you really want to see something that's truly "disgusting", go read a fucking newspaper and see all the bad stuff that's happening out there in the world.

I really find the idea people care so much about names such weird thing. Same thing goes for cards. Many trading card games have the same trend. Am example if you will entertain.

In Yugioh, there is a monster called Red Demon's Dragon. However, the English version is Red Dragon Archfiend. Once the dub comes out, people balk at it (hate for dub yada yade ...) but once the card comes out, they go all freakish over the name, and when Konami reports on it in their blogs, using the TCG name, people come to like it.

Names are just that, names. If you call something what you want, then go ahead.

Midnight came and went and no reveal yet. I suspect they'll at least wait until it's the 22nd throughout North America first.

Whatever Mijumaru is, it will stay Mijumaru in my mind >_<

I think I made a blog post about that, actually >_<

@ The main article: It's kind of ironic that there are people who actually depend on official releases from TPCi, who are banking on and still speculating about this information, while we're discussing it here like it's old news.

Midnight came and went and no reveal yet. I suspect they'll at least wait until it's the 22nd throughout North America first.

Could follow central time.

Probably going to go by Pacific time if history is to be believed.

Probably going to go by Pacific time if history is to be believed.

im not staying up till 3 for that, i'll look in the morning. Im looing forward to the new names

Well, I'll be up this. Poor Miju

Ooh, goody, I can pick it apart satirically.

Romanticized, as in emotionally charged?

*cough*Zekurom*cough*

Also, "Buoysel". It was perfectly fine the way it was "romanticized", in my opinion.

"Feraligator" instead of "Oodile" comes to mind. So does "Abra-cadabra, Alakazam" instead of "Casey, Yungerer, and Houdin".

Yes they will. "Futachimaru" has eleven letters.

But there is another spike because they will consider the other parts of the game ruined as well. Voltorb Flip, anybody?

This happened to me when I made a Contest Hall thread between Kolink and Merriep. About 30% of everybody voted for the joke option "Why aren't you using the English names?", claiming srs bsns.

Last edited:

You Westerners are lucky because you don't have to wait till the day to see the names. I guess it's our turn to get them during the day. when it was in Japan, we only get them at night, since it's only a few hours after (and before) Japan's time.

Thanks for reading.

I do agree with this to an extent.

I don't have a preference either way, I choose my name based on what I like better.

I don't call infernape infernape, I call it Goukazaru

And whatever Pokabu and Mijumaru end up being, I'm keeping them Pokabu and Mijumaru, because I like them.

I may or may not try to warm up to whatever Tsutarja is, but in the long run I might just keep calling it Smugleaf/Tsutarja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom