• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces info fo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces inf

I've been saying this for years. The fact that people are so quick to throw away the names they've been using for the past six months or so is disgusting. The Japanese names aren't beta names, or placeholder names, or any of that.

They are for the English fans.

There is a difference, however, between saying "What's a Haganeil again?" and referring to it as Steelix all the time. If you used the Japanese names at any point in time, you remember it.

Re: English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces inf

KPTitan said:
... We're talking about a fucking kid's videogame here. I don't think mere names of fictional characters shouldn't matter, it's the game itself that counts. People automatically switching from the Japanese names to the English names for whatever reason is just how they roll... it's not like it's a crime or somethin'.

If you really want to see something that's truly "disgusting", go read a fucking newspaper and see all the bad stuff that's happening out there in the world.

How dare I be annoyed with anything, ever! :rolleyes:

How dare I be annoyed with anything, ever! :rolleyes:

It's a rather petty thing to be annoyed about. I speak English. To hell with Wakasyamo, I'm going to say Combusken. I'm disgusting for doing so?

They are for the English fans.

There is a difference, however, between saying "What's a Haganeil again?" and referring to it as Steelix all the time. If you used the Japanese names at any point in time, you remember it.

Can't say I do. After a decade, it's largely lost information.

Remembering it also might have to do with if you liked it or not. I like Goukazaru, so I still call Infernape that.

I just realized...this is the first time I've ever followed a Pokémon game through it's Japanese revealation and it's release

which means this is the first time I've gone through the entire waiting period knowing just the Japanese names

It's gonna be hard to memorize all of this.....

I just realized...this is the first time I've ever followed a game through it's Japanese revealation and it's release

which means this is the first time I've gone through the entire waiting period knowing just the Japanese names

It's gonna be hard to memorize all of this.....

This is the same for me as well Eitarou

Though I think I'll only hold on to the Japanese ones I like most and might get used to the English ones. But then again, maybe not. It all depends on the kinds of names picked for them.

Ditto, Eitaro.

So, we got anything yet?

I just realized...this is the first time I've ever followed a Pokémon game through it's Japanese revealation and it's release

Same here. I don't know what's going to happen either.

At least we're not the only ones though, right?

Let's not make this a waiting game.

Sorry about that Ryuu. Last thing about waiting; What did you mean by "If history is to be believed"? They did the reveal when Midnight hit the west coast before? I hadn't followed any of the games before release before this, so I don't know what happened around then.

But waiting games are so fun.....heck, I might just stay up til 3:00 am just for the hell of it.

251st post! 2nd Gen FTW!

Yes, same here, too. :p
But, so far, I'm trying not to remember the Japanese name a lot.
I know that the something you don't know will happen, will happen.

I don't know either. :p

Life Alert said:
It's a rather petty thing to be annoyed about. I speak English. To hell with Wakasyamo, I'm going to say Combusken. I'm disgusting for doing so?

You, as a person? Of course not. But I do believe that treating the Japanese names as disposable commodities that we're forced to put up with until the "real names" (i.e. English names) are revealed is disgusting, yes. It's not a travesty or anything like that, but it is pretty annoying to see people unceremoniously dismiss names that they had no problem using just six months before.

But, of course, if you never learned the Japanese names in the first place, then none of that applies to you.

You, as a person? Of course not. But I do believe that treating the Japanese names as disposable commodities that we're forced to put up with until the "real names" (i.e. English names) are revealed is disgusting, yes. It's not a travesty or anything like that, but it is pretty annoying to see people unceremoniously dismiss names that they had no problem using just six months before.

But, of course, if you never learned the Japanese names in the first place, then none of that applies to you.
Languages and diction change over time, you know. It's just a word, afterall. Not like we're dismissing the actual Pokémon.

Sorry about that Ryuu. Last thing about waiting; What did you mean by "If history is to be believed"? They did the reveal when Midnight hit the west coast before? I hadn't followed any of the games before release before this, so I don't know what happened around then.

I remember that the smash bros dojo updated at midnight pacific time, so I'm going off of that.

I remember that the smash bros dojo updated at midnight pacific time, so I'm going off of that.

Ah, alright. Thanks.

I do hope they do that so I have something to look forward to when I wake up.

The WiFi events always start at midnight Pacific time, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom