• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces info fo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces inf

Cool! We're gonna get the English names, uh-huh! But, seriously, what's with the silhouettes? It's not as if we don't know what the starters are yet.. So, pokemon.com doesn't need to post silhouettes of the starters just because they're gonna release the English names.

Well when you usually reveal something, you also reveal its name at the same time.

I'm not sure it would've made any sense to reveal the starter's in design only and then like have a blurred out name or something telling people the Pokemon's names will be revealed in a few names, it seems rather pointless since the name usually isn't that important compared to the Pokemon itself.

If they revealed a Pokemon's name and said who is "Mijumaru?" find out in a few days then maybe. But I doubt they'd reveal something without it's name. Especially if they're just trying to hype up the Pokemon.

Edit: Though I have to say, I would laugh my ass off if Pokemon.com revealed them and had their Japanese names on there and said the names are tentative.

Re: English Isshu starters to be revealed Monday: Teaser on Pokémon.com announces inf

Well, it's an official name now. It's been used in the games.

and the TCG if I recall

This reminds me...there's a cycle that's about to begin!

Beginning of a New Generation
* Japanese names are revealed. People use the raw translation. Or Pokemon are simply called "that _______ Pokemon".
* Names begin to be romanticized. Multiples romanizations exist. Most people either use the one they like the best, or stick with the raw translation.
* Official romanizations appear. By now, the Japanese names are ingrained in most fan's minds, and they think that the names are "perfect" and this will be the Generation where NOA will keep all the names intact!
* A Legendary/Lucario has their English name revealed. It is exactly the same, only with the name properly romanticized instead of a raw translation. People freak out and declare the name ruined.
* Pokemon begin to appear with completely different names from their Japanese counterparts. Disbelief occurs when people discover that the perfectly acceptable name of "Ishizumai" has been replaced with a pun.
* A change in NOA, which may have no part in the names, is blamed. "The names were better when Nob was in charge!"
* "There's no way I'm using that name...I'm going to nickname it its Japanese name when it comes out...hah, Gamefreak won't stop me from still naming it Futachimaru!"
* Melkor/Serebii leaks all the English names. Total meltdown. The series is ruined...domestically!
* Games come out. People buy the English version regardless. Forget about the whole naming issue for the most part.
* Names begin to become accepted across the fandom. Most fans forget the Japanese names entirely.
* Someone uses a Japanese name still. "NOT EVERYONE REMEMBERS THE JAPANESE NAMES YOU ELITIST!"
End of a Generation

oh dear god he's right

we go through this every Gen..

and it's gonna happen again in about 4 years

* Japanese names are revealed. People use the raw translation. Or Pokemon are simply called "that _______ Pokemon".
* Names begin to be romanticized. Multiples romanizations exist. Most people either use the one they like the best, or stick with the raw translation.
* Official romanizations appear. By now, the Japanese names are ingrained in most fan's minds, and they think that the names are "perfect" and this will be the Generation where NOA will keep all the names intact!
* A Legendary/Lucario has their English name revealed. It is exactly the same, only with the name properly romanticized instead of a raw translation. People freak out and declare the name ruined.
* Pokemon begin to appear with completely different names from their Japanese counterparts. Disbelief occurs when people discover that the perfectly acceptable name of "Ishizumai" has been replaced with a pun.
* A change in NOA, which may have no part in the names, is blamed. "The names were better when Nob was in charge!"
* "There's no way I'm using that name...I'm going to nickname it its Japanese name when it comes out...hah, Gamefreak won't stop me from still naming it Futachimaru!"
* Melkor/Serebii leaks all the English names. Total meltdown. The series is ruined...domestically!
* Games come out. People buy the English version regardless. Forget about the whole naming issue for the most part.
* Names begin to become accepted across the fandom. Most fans forget the Japanese names entirely.
* Someone uses a Japanese name still. "NOT EVERYONE REMEMBERS THE JAPANESE NAMES YOU ELITIST!"
End of a Generation

This is so true that it makes me want to die a little inside...

End of a Generation

Ahahaha! Spot on! I chuckled so heartily there I coughed my cigarette into my lap.

I'm really looking forward to the english names now. For me it's another marker on the road to Generation V being "real"; tangible, even.

This is the first time I've followed the run up to a release of a Pokémon game so closely, I didn't see the point before as I don't speak japanese. I always thought "the only language I can speak completely fluently is english, I'll just wait until the details are in english".

I now realise it's a really cool thing to share with my fellow Pokémon fanatics. I've never felt more ingrained in a community than I do here, talking about our new favourites from Generation V and making guesses at english names. I love the whole process.

EDIT: Wow, that came out of no where. And had no apparent context. :p

This is new for me as well, as i didnt really pay attention before Gen 4 came out, so im anticipating the new names. I intrigued with what they might call Tsutarja, and honestly i dont really want to guess anymore. The only thing I do expect is that it wont be Smugleaf.

Nintendo hasnt picked a fan name over their own before, and they also probobly would dislike it because it creates sort of a character for evry pokemon of that species, which i think they wouldnt want to do to make it appeal to eveyone. To pick Smugleaf as Tsutarja's official english name would be quite historic, but be unlikely to happen, so i wouldnt hold your breath. Smugleaf will be a nickname that everyone chooses for their(insert the official english name here).

End of a Generation

damn thats exactly right....
i can't belive that this happens this way...

Tsutaja = Arborake (combination of the words 'arbor' and 'snake')

Pokabu = Pyropork (combination of the words 'pyro' and 'pork')

Mijumaru = Hydrotter (combination of the words 'hydro' and 'otter')

End of a Generation
I dont think there will be too many leaks based on the recent cease and desist situation

End of a Generation

This looks quite correct and reasonable.

Your inside sources abandon you? I know you had legit ones for English info.

I hope they don't go for Wotter and Pignite but just for a laugh I might nickname my tustarja Smugleaf but I think Emboar is quite good for Chauboo or Enbuoh but in my opinion Wotter is just too obvious Pignite is just pure dum and bad,but I find Jalorda best in looks Enbuoh best in a situation if your low on HP and Daikenki just the best for everything else Daikenki for me

I'm starting to get excited for these games. I am thinking of starting with fire!pig. ^^

I really hope the starters have good English names -crosses fingers-

I want these names:

Pignite
Smugleaf
Wotter

Your inside sources abandon you? I know you had legit ones for English info.
Nope. Don't be silly. I'm just not going to risk incurring the wrath of Nintendo by doing anything stupid. Nothing too early but don't worry.

Just look at the BW coverage...after the C&D hit, everyone stopped...it put fear in people and this is why I said I wouldn't expect it. Nintendo actually sent out legal notices to several fansites to get them to stop. We now know where the line is and we're all to be very careful not to cross it again

Aww, Serebii knows? That makes me more anxious to find the English names. After all, this is only the names we'll be calling them the rest of our time...

OK, I just wanna say this.

Although nothing's definite when it comes to Pokemon, I am fairly sure that Mijumaru will not be called Wotter. No matter how I try to pronounce it, it either sounds too much like "water" or just plain weird. I just don't see it happening.

The other ones, though, Smugleaf and Pignite, however, those I could see happening, somewhat.

EDIT: So, Serebii knows them already. Can't say I'm surprised.

With a mustache.

Ugh, you know? FFFF-

Well err... When are they gonna update the site? I hope they don't wait until about like 6-8 AM EST to. I'd love it if they did it at Midnight.

About what time are they gonna update?

It has been 22 Nov in Asia, Australia and Eastern Europe. :|
Still waiting :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom