• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English names for Iris and Dent revealed: Iris to keep her name while Dent's name cha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: English names for Iris and Dent revealed: Iris to keep her name while Dent's name

Cilan sounds kinda girly like "Salon" but cool job a awesome translation n' strange name just like Dento.

Re: English names for Iris and Dent revealed: Iris to keep her name while Dent's name

I think it's pronounced Sill-awn. Not Sall-on.

Cilan is a terrible, terrible name.
I will stick to Dento no matter what.

Glad Iris remained Iris.

Eh, I was pronouncing it as "Sy-Lawn". :x
Lol at people sticking with the Japanese names. You're gonna be watching the show when it comes out in English, right? Then might as well accept the new names. T_T

Sill-awn(Seel-on)Salon I cant help but think that.

It's not Seel. It's a short "i" like "Dill" or "Mill"

Not all of us live in the US.
I'm not going to be watching the English dub.

but dear Arceus, I think the Spanish names will be even worse.

I love his new name. Personally prefer it way better than his japanese name.

I think Cilan makes him sound cuter and personally made me like him even more.^-^

My girly side is coming out.
Very rare when that happens since usually I'm a tom boy like girl.lol

Keeping Iris was kinda expected... Since the name didn't sound japanese, it would be easy for an english choice.

Sil-on then still sounds like Salon.

Not so much "on" but "an" though depending on your dialect I'm still probably not communicating this right. Don't see the point in IPA transcription when people can't read it, but Google Translate seems good at pronouncing words. I just typed in "Cilantro"

For all I know we're actually pronouncing it the same and our pronunciation of Salon is different...

Glad they're keeping Iris' name.

Cilan's an okay name, but I personally liked Dento better.

Not so much "on" but "an" though depending on your dialect I'm still probably not communicating this right. Don't see the point in IPA transcription when people can't read it, but Google Translate seems good at pronouncing words. I just typed in "Cilantro"

For all I know we're actually pronouncing it the same and our pronunciation of Salon is different...

Ive heard girls at my school talk bout' that food Cilantro n' they say it (Sa-lawn-troo)

Wait... so is Cilan pronounced like Dylan? *is confused*

Ive heard girls at my school talk bout' that food Cilantro n' they say it (Sa-lawn-troo)

Well, a lot of words only have a one-phoneme difference, and that's what attaches different meanings to words, so I never actually see it as Salon.
Wait... so is Cilan pronounced like Dylan? *is confused*

More like Dylaan. It's not a long "a" sound like "say" but the last part is pronounced for a longer period of time.

Cilan? As in Cilantro? (Coriander to some).

That's actually not terrible. There might be a joke somewhere on how some people will hate the name or love it but I'm not making it.

People who think Dent's new name tastes like soap are genetic freaks! There, I said it.

Heh, calling Basil as the name of one of Dent's brothers now.

I would have been annoyed if they changed Iris's name.

People who think Dent's new name tastes like soap are genetic freaks! There, I said it.

Says the guy who likes having characters named after corn.

Really, a lot of these complaints are terrible. Sounds like another word? Well Dent really makes me think of teeth.

Says the guy who likes having characters named after corn.

Really, a lot of these complaints are terrible. Sounds like another word? Well Dent really makes me think of teeth.

AloeDentToothpaste_large.jpg

That feelin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom