• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Names of D/P Pokémon

Purugly... Appropriate since it is ugly but the pronunciation is horrible. The dub of its debut episode will be interesting.

I LOVE the Starly line's names!

*goes crazy*

All we need is Minomutchi for the first five DP episodes to start being dubbed.

Well Serebii said today that he knows the names for like all the pokemon, he just was planning on releasing them over time.

Sure he does. Especially when Pokexperto posts up the names, and he has them several minutes later claiming he knew them. :/

Purugly = awesomeness.

Can we keep the sniping out of this, please?

I like all of these new names, even Purugly......except for Stunky. First one I actually hate.

I really like Skuntank. It fits it well. I don't know if this was intended or not in the name's meaning, but you can get "stank" out of there, also. Stunky is cute.

The Starly line is definitely cool, especially Staravia. Torterra and Monferno are nice, too.

The others made me cringe. :p

Except Purugly, then I cried. It's cute! Stunky is uglier with its butt-face.

Hyourinmaru said:
*STILL waiting for Hyouta*
Amen.

There's only one thing I don't buy: that the -avia in Staravia is supposed to come from 'aviation'. 'Avian' would be the simpler and more logical deduction. *nitpick* *birds are a long-standing passion of her's*

And I'm appalled, even a day later. D8 Purugly?! Glameow is HARDLY glamorous, and Purugly is NOT ugly. ;.; Freaks! Monsters! Shallow hooligans! ... I know there's the thing about the mentality of not letting your pokémon evolve because then it's be uncute, but....who didn't love Garfield?! XO Bad NOA, no friggin' biscuit for you! And no Pearl either!

Half the fan-base seems to hate Purugly just for being fat...-_-

Chimchar Evo Line - APPROVED! AWESOME!
Prinplup - Yes, it does sound close to Piplup. But need I remind you of the Nidoran lines?
Purugly - Poor thing. I don't think it's ugly at all
Staravia, Staraptor - Both names rule!
Stunky, Skuntank - I'll STILL just be adding these guys for their Dex entries.
Bibarel - Well, it is wearing a bib.
Kricketune - That sounds like the coolest name ever. Now we only have the rest to get through.

Purugly and Bibarel fail miserably. Others are good, though.

How does Bibarel "fail"? It's quite clever, actually. It comes from "barrel", and as most know, barrels are hollow, and well, Bibarel is clearly meant to be dumb, so yeah...Barrels also usually hold liquids, and Bibarel is part Water, so yeah. I think it's a pretty creative name.

How does Bibarel "fail"? It's quite clever, actually. It comes from "barrel", and as most know, barrels are hollow, and well, Bibarel is clearly meant to be dumb, so yeah...Barrels also usually hold liquids, and Bibarel is part Water, so yeah. I think it's a pretty creative name.

. . . Barrels are known for being dumb?

This is news to me. I didn't think barrels were really thought of having any personality attributes.

-_-

Barrels are hollow. People can and do refer to people or creatures that are less than intelligent as "hollow" (particularly in the head, as in brainless...as in stupid...). How you misunderstood my post to mean...THAT, I'll never know.

And...IIRC, one of the definitions of the word "hollow" is actually "dull".

Last edited:
I don't care about the new names since I"m not going to use them, but...is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the way Serebii's announcing these? His news posts have this asinine air of granduer about them, and the way he's all like "so-and-so shall be henceforth known as..." and "so-and-so is no longer known as blank, but shall be known as blank now" is really irritating.

And anyone who needs an explanation on who Napoleon Bonaparte is shouldn't be allowed to get enjoyment from the pun in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom