• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Names of D/P Pokémon

pkmn Trainer Zach

Reaction score
Yesterday, Empoleon was revealed to be the Piplup's fully evolved form's name. Today, two more English names were revealed, this time from the Turtwig line:

Grotle is the English name of Hayashigame;

Torterra is the English name of Dotaitos

I don't know about you, but I think Torterra is the best possible name for this guy.

Will post more as names are revealed...thanks to serebii.

1-253-1.png
Gro?
388-1.png

*writes in his compendium of names*

Last edited by a moderator:
At least im not the only one to have noticed the Grovyle/Grotle similarities

Torterra is the best name revealed so far, IMO. It's the only one I've first looked at and didn't cringe.

Well, Grovyle's Gro comes from grove while Grotle comes from Grow. I'm surprised no one is complaining about the squrite similarities in both the japanese and english names then. (but not as much)

I like Empoleon and Torterra a lot though.

All of the names can also be found on this site:
http://www.pokexperto.net/index2.php

I wrote a Bulbanews article, but with a rumor warning as those names aren't confirmed by an official source yet.

EDIT: I acciddentally posted this in the Empoleon thread before, but I actually intended to post it here.

We must remember to thank nYoo for putting up a site with all the starter names!
It's not my site. o.o

EDIT 2:
lol and suddenly Serebii adds more names. And from what I hear, he accuses that Spanish website to have stolen the names from him lol. I have seen the names on that Spanish site hours ago and Serebii adds those names just after I report about it on Bulbanews.

Well it his own fault if he believes he is the only one getting not yet revealed English names and thinks he can post them whenever he feels like doing so because of that.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the "Grot" comes from Grotto...

I showed Serebii that site. Please don't kill me. :( At least it made him cough up the one that was misspelled.

Serebii sent me this message:

Hey

Please can you relay this to the English Name thread. I would do it, but as you know, I am banned (albeit a bit unfairly). This is in response to nyoo's post. Cheers if ya do

I never accused the spanish site of stealing from me. I was moaning that the note in both spanish & english about exclusivity is a stab at me. I actually had Grotle and Torterra up before tham and thats why I'm slightly miffed at the slight jab. Yes I did move up my reporting of those from the weekend to now, but thats because it is public knowledge now and I cannot be held responsible for that so rather that reporting it days late, I posted it then.

I also do not CHOOSE to sit on the names. I'm not allowed to reveal them. Since Empoleon was leaked yesterday, it was logical to reveal the other starter names and so I did that with the intent for gradual release so it is not fair to bash me based on that.

Serebii said:
but as you know, I am banned (albeit a bit unfairly).

Can't people who are banned stop trying to look like they're the victim and just...accept it? Christ. XO

Well, yay, now I really can't choose 'tween Turtwig and Piplup, but I must admit, Chimchar's evo-names don't make me bash my head into my desk like Chimchar itself does. 8D Although Monferno and Infernape is...really cheap, when you think about it. If you were gonna stick with 'inferno' as the basis of 2-of-3, Chimchar's name could've at least been spiced up some. 'Char' doesn't quite measure up to the magnitude of 'inferno' without a step in between.

8D Yay, I nitpick.

I'm Melkor, the one who supossedly accused Serebii on getting me information. I did never say such, I know my news on the starters names where posted later than Serebii's news on Empoleon and Grotle/Torterra, and I know how Serebii is getting his information, too, so I wouldn't accuse him on getting me information.

But, hey, Serebii, you were not the only one with that information, and if somebody happens to destroy your plans for the weekend you should just face it and not accuse anybody of accusing you of stealing information, because that didn't occur.

I would like to talk with Joe more personally, whoever knows him please report this message to him, and give him my msn account:

puyi_666 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Hey

Please can you relay this to the English Name thread. I would do it, but as you know, I am banned (albeit a bit unfairly). This is in response to nyoo's post. Cheers if ya do

I never accused the spanish site of stealing from me. I was moaning that the note in both spanish & english about exclusivity is a stab at me. I actually had Grotle and Torterra up before tham and thats why I'm slightly miffed at the slight jab. Yes I did move up my reporting of those from the weekend to now, but thats because it is public knowledge now and I cannot be held responsible for that so rather that reporting it days late, I posted it then.

I also do not CHOOSE to sit on the names. I'm not allowed to reveal them. Since Empoleon was leaked yesterday, it was logical to reveal the other starter names and so I did that with the intent for gradual release so it is not fair to bash me based on that.
Well, if Serebii didn't accuse him of stealing, then sorry and I guess there's no problem then.

I'm OK with them, but does anyone else thin Prinplup is a little TOO close to Piplup?

Yeah, just adding two letters isn't super great, but really it's not bad, probably just cause Piplup's not a bad name to begin with.

I don't see a problem with it...it's easy to tell the difference.

So...Skuntank is still Skuntank....and Bunyat is Purugly.

Back
Top Bottom