• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

English Platinum names revealed: Fan site posts info before game's release

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
English Platinum names revealed: Fan site posts info before game's release

Serebii.net on Tuesday reported new information about Pokémon Platinum days before the game's official English-language release. The site revealed the English names of Rotom's alternate forms, Frontier Brains and more.

Read more on Bulbanews

Last edited by a moderator:
追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Re: U.S. Platinum names revealed: U.S. Platinum names update

Bulbapedia, please BELIEVE FINALLY that Pluto's US name is Charon.

When I meet him in the game, I can give an UNDENIABLE screenshot to make you freakin' believe!

Anyway, I think all the Brain names suck. Argenta? Thorton? DARACH? Those AREN'T people's names!

I'll also check if Secret Key's name is still Secret Key. Using cheats, of course.

Cheers to the Freeze
Reaction score

Thorton is a name. Granted, it's more recognized as a surname (Billy Bob Thorton, Kirk Thorton), but it's still a name.

Reaction score

Platinum orb should not have been Griseous Orb, don't really like the name. Name should have stayed as it was. Is there a reason for the name change of it?

Cheers to the Freeze
Reaction score

Because the Adamant orb and the Lustrous Orb aren't the "Diamond Orb" and the "Pearl Orb"?

The Pumpkin King
Reaction score

Thorton is a name. Granted, it's more recognized as a surname (Billy Bob Thorton, Kirk Thorton), but it's still a name.
Actually, that's Thornton. Billy Bob Thornton and Kirk Thornton.

Reaction score

Is Darach an Irish name? Never heard of it.

Never heard of the adjective "griseous". It describes a color, whereas "lustrous" describes a glow and "adamant" describes a feeling.

Reaction score

Nekusagi said:
It's a variant of the Gaelic for "oak".

So... yes.
That is weird. Cochran would've been acceptable to me.

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score

Shinx3000 said:
Is there a reason for the name change of it?
Is there are reason for half the name changes that go on in this franchise?

追放されたバカ
Reaction score

Yes, kids prefer English names over hard-to-pronounce or "weird" Japanese names.

Badass office lady
Reaction score

Except with the exception of Nejiki and maybe Cattleya, none of the names were too hard to pronounce this time...

never ever giving up
Reaction score

Seriously, people act like the worst thing that can happen is the characters getting English names.

more like tangela
Reaction score

Yes, kids prefer English names over hard-to-pronounce or "weird" Japanese names.
Young fans of new anime like Naruto generally don't have too many problem pronouncing Japanese names... at this point it's more to fit with everything that had been localized in the games until now.

Many of the D/P names (especially now, Thorton and Darach which are just strange) sound as foreign as the original Japanese ones, but I like Argenta's.

Load of Belloni
Reaction score

I like how they kept Dahlia's name, but changed Kate's. That just screams 'logical', doesn't it?

PDL

Not into Ponies I swear!
Reaction score

I like how they kept Dahlia's name, but changed Kate's. That just screams 'logical', doesn't it?
It's a bit like the changes from "Tina" to "Terra" in Final Fantasy III/IV or "Mark" to "Marx" in Kirby Superstar.

The original names sound exotic to the Japanese ear, but are really common and boring to english-speakers, hence they change it to keep it "exotic" in translation.

Not to mention that they've already named a protagonist character "Kate" already (although there's no chance in hell she'll appear in the anime at this point).

A black and white world
Reaction score

Remember already how Melissa became Fantina (and I don't think that's a name, come to think of it).

Ohh yes Terra. That's an awesome name and creates symbolism with Celes.

PDL

Not into Ponies I swear!
Reaction score

Yeah, "griseous" is so much easier to pronounce than "platinum".
You hate learning new words?

Girseous is a good way to discribe platinum. Much in the same way "Adamant" describes diamonds and "Lustrious" describes pearls.