• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Platinum names revealed: Fan site posts info before game's release

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
English Platinum names revealed: Fan site posts info before game's release

Serebii.net on Tuesday reported new information about Pokémon Platinum days before the game's official English-language release. The site revealed the English names of Rotom's alternate forms, Frontier Brains and more.

Read more on Bulbanews

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: U.S. Platinum names revealed: U.S. Platinum names update

Bulbapedia, please BELIEVE FINALLY that Pluto's US name is Charon.

When I meet him in the game, I can give an UNDENIABLE screenshot to make you freakin' believe!

Anyway, I think all the Brain names suck. Argenta? Thorton? DARACH? Those AREN'T people's names!

I'll also check if Secret Key's name is still Secret Key. Using cheats, of course.

Thorton is a name. Granted, it's more recognized as a surname (Billy Bob Thorton, Kirk Thorton), but it's still a name.

Platinum orb should not have been Griseous Orb, don't really like the name. Name should have stayed as it was. Is there a reason for the name change of it?

Because the Adamant orb and the Lustrous Orb aren't the "Diamond Orb" and the "Pearl Orb"?

Thorton is a name. Granted, it's more recognized as a surname (Billy Bob Thorton, Kirk Thorton), but it's still a name.

Actually, that's Thornton. Billy Bob Thornton and Kirk Thornton.

Is Darach an Irish name? Never heard of it.

Never heard of the adjective "griseous". It describes a color, whereas "lustrous" describes a glow and "adamant" describes a feeling.

Nekusagi said:
It's a variant of the Gaelic for "oak".

So... yes.

That is weird. Cochran would've been acceptable to me.

Shinx3000 said:
Is there a reason for the name change of it?

Is there are reason for half the name changes that go on in this franchise?

Yes, kids prefer English names over hard-to-pronounce or "weird" Japanese names.

Except with the exception of Nejiki and maybe Cattleya, none of the names were too hard to pronounce this time...

Seriously, people act like the worst thing that can happen is the characters getting English names.

Yes, kids prefer English names over hard-to-pronounce or "weird" Japanese names.

Young fans of new anime like Naruto generally don't have too many problem pronouncing Japanese names... at this point it's more to fit with everything that had been localized in the games until now.

Many of the D/P names (especially now, Thorton and Darach which are just strange) sound as foreign as the original Japanese ones, but I like Argenta's.

I like how they kept Dahlia's name, but changed Kate's. That just screams 'logical', doesn't it?

I like how they kept Dahlia's name, but changed Kate's. That just screams 'logical', doesn't it?

It's a bit like the changes from "Tina" to "Terra" in Final Fantasy III/IV or "Mark" to "Marx" in Kirby Superstar.

The original names sound exotic to the Japanese ear, but are really common and boring to english-speakers, hence they change it to keep it "exotic" in translation.

Not to mention that they've already named a protagonist character "Kate" already (although there's no chance in hell she'll appear in the anime at this point).

Remember already how Melissa became Fantina (and I don't think that's a name, come to think of it).

Ohh yes Terra. That's an awesome name and creates symbolism with Celes.

Yeah, "griseous" is so much easier to pronounce than "platinum".

You hate learning new words?

Girseous is a good way to discribe platinum. Much in the same way "Adamant" describes diamonds and "Lustrious" describes pearls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom