• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP01: Enter Elesa, Electrifying Gym Leader!

garrison-san

someone in the dark
Reaction score
BW049 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Ash and his travelling party, now in Nimbasa City, run into their friend Bianca, who shares Ash's ambition to challenge the city's gym leader, Elesa. But when Bianca's father shows up with the intent of forcing his daughter to return home with him, Bianca's future as a pokemon trainer could now be at stake. Her father agrees to let the decision rest upon the outcome of her gym battle with Elesa. But does the inexperienced Bianca really stand a chance against a gym leader as powerful and electrifying as Elesa?

To discuss the new "Rival Destinies" opening, please use this thread: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/rival-destinies-opening-discussion-thread-126993/

Last edited:
This was an interesting ep, but it made me think of all those parodies where the fate of everything can be wagered on something trivial. Are we going to have a separate thread on the new opening?

Well at least I know that I've been pronouncing Elesa wrong - her voice isn't too bad - but her dialogue could have been better. Surely a Gym leader should have been trying to talk Bianca's father into letting her stay on her journey, just as much if not more than Ash? A line about the potential Bianca showed in battle would have been nice. Of course that would have required Bianca to actually show some potential in that battle, a double knockout of Pignite and Zebstrika at the end wouldn't have done any harm. It just all plays in to the huge inconsistency in power levels with regard to Ash and who he wins and loses to.

The father's line to Ash about what Bianca's situation had to do with him seemed to be oblivious to the fact they were all there as a group just seconds earlier. That said, Ash's answer just raises the question of why exactly they don't travel together all the time, more than it gives a reason Bianca should have continued on her own. Either way I don't like the whole lose the battle - go home, thing. The only thing that annoyed me more about the episode was Oshawott - are they trying to make me hate it?

Ash also seemed more interested than his character should have been in the fashion show. Sure, it fits Cilan perfectly and I can kinda understand Iris being interested - but this is the sort of thing Ash usually would usually have to be dragged along to and be annoyed the entire time, but instead he seemed fairly excited. It'd have been nice if Elesa patted Pikachu - it would have made those introductions a bit less awkward.

Pretty solid ep. Not the best, but solid. Bianca's battle against Elesa was a bit too curb stomp for most of us I think, but Hey, pignite kicked some ass....briefly. Bianca's dad's battle transformation was amusing too, even though him smiling after his daughter got her shit wrecked seemed a like a dick thing to do.

You know, we may complain the execution of this ep, but you have to admit they did clearly try to pump some solid emotion and drama into it.

I wish the episode had Bianca's battle against Elesa wasn't a curb stomp and it actually showed Bianca working hard. It could've ended with her winning or her losing after a great battle (with Pignite and Zebstrika as the last ones out) but with her father bewildered over how his daughter had became a good trainer, allowing her to continue her journey. That honestly would've been better since we'd see Bianca's dad's face going from smug prick to shocked (no pun intended) and pretty happy. Seriously, I wanted to punch the bastard for being happy over his daughter's sadness. No wonder we never see many fathers. Norman's cool but this guy... somebody please deck him in the schnoz.

BTW, people said that the season's title "Rival Destinies" might refer to some event later in the season similar to "Galactic Battles"... I think that it actually refers the early episodes of the season, like this ep which dealt with Bianca's "destiny" and one of the next eps that deals with Trip's connection to Alder...

The father's line to Ash about what Bianca's situation had to do with him seemed to be oblivious to the fact they were all there as a group just seconds earlier. That said, Ash's answer just raises the question of why exactly they don't travel together all the time, more than it gives a reason Bianca should have continued on her own.

I think it has to do with her moving at her own, eccentric, pace which is much more sporadic than everyone else's. Not to mention, think how long it sometimes takes Ash to win a gym battle (Brock? Lt. Surge? Brawly? Clay? Lenora?). Now imagine double that because we have two people trying to earn a badge.

I think it has to do with her moving at her own, eccentric, pace which is much more sporadic than everyone else's. Not to mention, think how long it sometimes takes Ash to win a gym battle (Brock? Lt. Surge? Brawly? Clay? Lenora?). Now imagine double that because we have two people trying to earn a badge.
Oh yeah, I understand that, but from the trying to justify it to her father perspective - "she should travel alone because of how good it is when we travel as a group" isn't the most convincing answer.

Hahaha, yeah. It could have been worded better. Like, "She needs to realize her own independence, so I'm glad that she has friends like you to help her out when she needs it." since the writers always make it so convenient that when someone is in need, Ash and co. will be there. :p

This is the second (I think, I missed a few dub eps) that Ash has called Razor Shell "Shell Blade."

Yeah, BW028 (Stephan's debut episode) was the only other time so far when Razor Shell has been called by its Japanese name.

Writers, if you're going to change the moves name, then please use the changed name.

This is only the second time that this has happened with the TPCi dub, so it was perhaps the scriptwriter of this particular episode who had failed to change the name of the attack to suit that of the English version.

This is the second (I think, I missed a few dub eps) that Ash has called Razor Shell "Shell Blade."

Second? I'm pretty sure it's the first time. But whatever.

I'm glad Pignite put up a fight. Remind me why she wanted to trade it for Luke's Zorua again?

The one thing I can say is that I'm glad Elesa didn't mention being "dizzy" all the time like she did in the Japanese version. I was thinking "If you're dizzy that often, you should go to the hospital!" but yeah, I think it was a good place to start a new season. I liked the episode a lot. Pignite is pretty strong! Elesa's Zebstrika is pretty fast too! Bianca's dad is kind of annoying though. Personally I think that was pretty messed up of him. Waiting until she has 3 badges and is about to try for her 4th, knowing she travelled all the way to Nimbasa City just to take her home. I don't care what the excuse was, it was pretty wrong. Nimbasa City is pretty far from Nuvema Town and travelling that far for no reason would've been pointless. If he didn't want her to go on her journey, why did he say yes in the first place! You don't say yes and wait for her to get halfway across the Unova region and change your mind and force her to come home.

The one thing I can say is that I'm glad Elesa didn't mention being "dizzy" all the time like she did in the Japanese version. I was thinking "If you're dizzy that often, you should go to the hospital!" but yeah, I think it was a good place to start a new season. I liked the episode a lot. Pignite is pretty strong! Elesa's Zebstrika is pretty fast too! Bianca's dad is kind of annoying though. Personally I think that was pretty messed up of him. Waiting until she has 3 badges and is about to try for her 4th, knowing she travelled all the way to Nimbasa City just to take her home. I don't care what the excuse was, it was pretty wrong. Nimbasa City is pretty far from Nuvema Town and travelling that far for no reason would've been pointless. If he didn't want her to go on her journey, why did he say yes in the first place! You don't say yes and wait for her to get halfway across the Unova region and change your mind and force her to come home.

I guess he decided to let Bianca travel at first but changed his mind as it was gnawing at the back of his brain and he couldn't help but worry about his little girl. Trust me, it can happen.

Although that doesn't excuse him from being a smug douche-bag.

The only thing is, how can Bianca's father justify his right to make a deal with Ash that would cause him to stop his journey and go back to Pallet Town? I mean does he get a kick out of being the party-pooper? If I was Ash I would just not listen to the guy and continue on my journey if he tried to push me keeping up my end of the deal. You can't just stop a long journey like Ash's by losing one battle.

I LOVED Elesa! Although, she seemed to be overly aloof when it came to Bianca and her dad. She was just kind of standing there waiting for it all to blow over so that she could then get a chance to cuddle with Pikachu...

Pretty good episode to start the new season though, I just hope that we see a lot more of Bianca!

Loved, loved, LOVED IT! The episode as a whole was great, but I was very excited to finally see Elesa in the dub! Her voice was great, too! I can totally see myself screaming alongside the fangirls.

The battles were pretty awesome as well. I especially liked how Wild Charge was displayed.

Bianca was hilarious as usual, and the ending actually made me a little bit emotional...just a little bit, though.

I would say it was the best episode I've seen in a while.

The dialogue was still painful to listen to, and I could not believe what a jackass Bianca's father was, HAPPY to see her losing. Still, the new intro and theme are pretty cool, and Elesa's likeable. Plus, the battles were awesome.

I was going to praise Bianca's dad on his parenting. Finally, a reasonable adult in the Pokemon world who won't just sit back and let his young daughter go off into terrible danger on her own. But really; all four of his Darmanitan's moves are Fire-type, he can't be half as sensible as he likes to think. Figures he would still defeat Ash, though, even with a move and type disadvantage. Sigh.

It was an alright episode. Elesa is a pleasant and likable character, (Though her dub voice seems a bit off, I can't explain it) but frankly, it was depressing. Both battles were one-sided and boring, and I've just about had enough of Ash and Bianca being used as punching bags. I can only hope this is the turnabout point for both of them. Thank Arceus Bianca doesn't have to go home, because that would have been heartbreaking to see.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom