• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Entertainment associated with with opposite gender you enjoy?

Antiyonder

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Wondered if this might be suitable for the Pride forum, but always intended to post this at some point.

But yeah whether exclusively or just cause you have flexible tastes, this is to share some favorites presumed/associated with say the gender opposite of ourselves.

Too many to really get into, so I'll just mention more if the thread gets going.

Heck in my case, even if the concept of guilty pleasures wasn't in my vocabulary during the 80s (Not even in the double digits age), for example, I still recognized that G1 My Little Pony was as fun to watch as Transformers of that era too. As in G1 Transformers, fun, but good would be more like DuckTales or The Real Ghostbusters' first 65 episodes.

Various, but some main favorites:

1. W.I.T.C.H. (Animated Series), Sailor Moon, Kim Possible and Powerpuff Girls (Original)

2. Occasional Christmas romcoms

3. Regular Manga Dub romcoms on YT

4. Polly Pocket (2018)

5. Strawberry Shortcake, both previous versions and Berry in the Big City (Even have a few Mid-2010s comics from IDW)*

6. Several Shojo/Romance manga

7. Had fun binging various Barbie shows on Netflix, and yeah if I could find/afford them, I'd get the Marvel Comics licensed books.

8. Phoebe and Her Unicorn which is a legally free comic strip. Kind of Calvin & Hobbes meets MLP. Have the most recent volume, but pic of the first 18 books:
my_collection_picture__261_by_antiyonder_dfpv6yf-414w-2x.jpg

9. The Baby-Sitters Club. Never did read the original BSC books, but saw the short-lived live action series from the 90s and the slightly longer Netflix series.

The GN novel adaptations and it's spinoff (Yes BSC in comic form) are my regular pick ups:
Not all, but most of what I have:
my_collection_picture__149_by_antiyonder_dfpanhs-414w-2x.jpg
my_collection_picture__183_by_antiyonder_dfpiykn-414w-2x.jpg

When i was a little kid, i had a pretty advanced reading level (I think I first read Harry Potter when I was seven lol) and found myself reading a mix of books aimed more towards boys and girls. I remember being a big fan of captain underpants and geronimo Stilton I think? Which I guess are more aimed towards boys, but I read quite a few of more girly books too

also I think Pokémon is considered more of a boys thing? But looking at the fandom it’s pretty diverse in terms of gender

yea idk

edit: I love Bsc and I also think I own one of the phoebe and unicorn books. Magic storm I think. I just dont know where it is lol

I don't really believe things like entertainment/interests can be gendered. I understand target demographics, but to say an activity is exclusively the domain of one gender over the other has always seemed ridiculous to me. That said-

As a female person I have always been involved in things traditionally considered masculine. I love combat sports. I watch MMA matches when I think it'll be an actual good brawl and not a wrestling match on the mat. I fight and have always fought myself. My present discipline is Muay Thai and I probably shouldn't love the rush of fighting as much as I genuinely do. I was the only girl on my school's wrestling team for several years in both middle and high school, as well as the only female bassist in my orchestra, I also took male roles in more than one theater production. Gundam Wing was my first favorite anime and even collected and assembled some models, which I haven't met many other women that do.

I was a semi-professional competitive gamer and participated and even won several tournaments for fighting games specifically (shout out to the middle-age man I made rage cause a middle school age girl stole the title of regional champ from him in Soul Calibur 2). I still game religiously and presently hold the highest rank in Apex Legends and Dead by Daylight among my tournament teams, 70-80 percent of which are male. Admittedly I'm an elitist in this space, and kind of judge casual games that tend to me more popular among female audiences such as The Sims or Animal Crossing. (Not because they're female focused, purely because they don't require cultivated skills to play well.)

I like to rough it in the wilderness. I love dirt and insects. I love fire and knives and tools of survival, I love survival video games for that matter too. I love marksmanship and firearms even though I'm a big proponent of regulation. I'm a techie and have not only built my own computer but also taught myself to code and work with Linux operating systems.

I also taught myself how to repair and maintain my vehical. Which feels silly to add (everyone who drives a car should know how to fix one, period) but car mechanics are also overwhelmingly male so I will add it regardless.

Think the only one I can think of is My Little Pony which I started watching by chance in 2012 out of curiosity as there were a lot of people using pony avatars on forums at the time and decided to watch a few episodes of Friendship is Magic to see what it was about and ended up liking the show and watching the whole series and now following the G5 series too.

Think all the other entertainment I like is either aimed at a male or mixed audience though.

I gotta say, I'm not sure I've ever had an interest in what's regarded as "girly" before ? But these days, there are so many interests that everyone can enjoy regardless of gender that I don't think even the closest thing to a girly thing I might have liked would be considered as such anymore.

But if I had to name the closest thing, I'd say looking at cute fanarts of some of my favorite characters.

I gotta say, I'm not sure I've ever had an interest in what's regarded as "girly" before ? But these days, there are so many interests that everyone can enjoy regardless of gender that I don't think even the closest thing to a girly thing I might have liked would be considered as such anymore.

But if I had to name the closest thing, I'd say looking at cute fanarts of some of my favorite characters.
It's such an arbitrary thing, isn't is?

I've had people tell me before that fanfiction was a "girly" thing.

It's such an arbitrary thing, isn't is?

I've had people tell me before that fanfiction was a "girly" thing.
Agreed overall. As for my opening, yeah just a matter of it being the best I articulated.

Hence emphasizing things deemed for particular genders, rather than are.

And some of the specific manga and GN I have:
my_collection_picture__95_by_antiyonder_dfp9hme-414w-2x.jpg

my_collection_picture__96_by_antiyonder_dfp9hoi-414w-2x.jpg

my_collection_picture__94_by_antiyonder_dfp9hjk-414w-2x.jpg

my_collection_picture__97_by_antiyonder_dfp9hte-414w-2x.jpg

my_collection_picture__93_by_antiyonder_dfp9hi4-414w-2x.jpg

my_collection_picture__258_by_antiyonder_dfpv664-414w-2x.jpg
my_collection_picture__259_by_antiyonder_dfpv68o-414w-2x.jpg

Agreed overall. As for my opening, yeah just a matter of it being the best I articulated.

Hence emphasizing things deemed for particular genders, rather than are.

And some of the specific manga and GN I have:
Wow, there's some old school ones in there. I haven't thought about Marmalade Boy in literal decades.

Looking at the last selection of more Western work has me wondering if you've read or would be interested in reading Paper Girls. I went through the first book and enjoyed it, but never picked up the rest. I hear Netflix is looking to turn it into a live action now, so I better get to it before they ruin it for me like so many other things

Sports are usually seen as a guy thing, but I enjoy playing them! I was always physically active and enjoyed P.E classes aside from the annoying warmups. >_>

I know we moved past the "fighting games are specifically for men" era years if not decades ago, but I also happen to like characters who aren't made with appealing to women in mind. For instance, I main the grappler in the one anime fighter I regularly play.

I know we moved past the "fighting games are specifically for men" era years if not decades ago, but I also happen to like characters who aren't made with appealing to women in mind. For instance, I main the grappler in the one anime fighter I regularly play.
Forgive the tangent since you've hit my special interest. Certain fighting games designed almost entirely with the male gaze in mind can be insufferable in that sense. Outside of it being clunky performance wise, that's why I absolutely hated the Injustice series. All the female characters were dressed more like erotic dancers than warriors, and also fought in strange, provocative, almost knock-kneed fashion in order to look sultry rather than at all intimidating. This was especially egregious when trying to play Hawkgirl who in almost every other canon is portrayed as blunt, brash, and nearly brutish at times.

Street Fighter can fall into that trap sometimes depending, but I can appreciate them more since they actually make their female fighters visibly muscled and look like they fit the part.

Forgive the tangent since you've hit my special interest. Certain fighting games designed almost entirely with the male gaze in mind can be insufferable in that sense. Outside of it being clunky performance wise, that's why I absolutely hated the Injustice series. All the female characters were dressed more like erotic dancers than warriors, and also fought in strange, provocative, almost knock-kneed fashion in order to look sultry rather than at all intimidating. This was especially egregious when trying to play Hawkgirl who in almost every other canon is portrayed as blunt, brash, and nearly brutish at times.

Street Fighter can fall into that trap sometimes depending, but I can appreciate them more since they actually make their female fighters visibly muscled and look like they fit the part.
Fair point. I think the fact that I was introduced by a game where the women are generally presented as equally competent to the men has affected how I view the genre as a whole.

Fair point. I think the fact that I was introduced by a game where the women are generally presented as equally competent to the men has affected how I view the genre as a whole.
Mind if I ask what game that was? Always looking to add another good arcade fighter to my roster.

Transformers... I reaaaally like Transformers. And Tron! There's plenty of other things I like that used to be seen as more 'masculine' in interest but isn't so much now. In general a lot of games I like have male dominated culture, so I don't really count those since they're such a given for me. I find this topic pretty interesting, so I'll cook more here later when I'm not super sleepy.

If we're going birth gender, I used to enjoy the cartoons Totally Spies, My Little Pony (Friendship Is Magic ftw) and the Powerpuff Girls. Also dress up games. Young me would find those fun sometimes

If we're going gender the I identify with now, Sonic and Lego Ninjago (not really into Ninjago anymore tho). You could also count Helluva Boss I guess? It's a male-led show with an MLM couple as the main relationship displayed, but I think it and Hazbin Hotel are more gender neutral

Most of my current obsessions interests are gender neutral for the most part though

I've always enjoyed some Shonen anime/manga. Perceptions have changed but video games and Pokemon have always been seen as at least somewhat masculine. but hey, we girls have always played video games and Pokemon!

Yeah, back in the olden times when I was a child, my interest in video games was considered masculine. Honestly though, the video games I did play I wouldn't even consider to be the stereotypical masculine, because I was never into things like shooters or fighting games. Only really enjoyed plot heavy JRPGs, though I guess those were kind of male-targeted because the male characters usually got more character development and focus whereas females were generally just love interests. Pokemon was also considered more of a boy's thing back in the 90s and early 2000s.

I generally shied away from specifically feminine media because a lot of it seemed to have less effort put into it or just didn't appeal to my interests. As a result, I mostly had male friends growing up, because they were the ones who were allowed to express their interest openly whilst girls were discouraged from that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom