• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Entertainment Inc Media Club April 2018: Games of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Okay so we're trying something new. So basically here at Entertainment Inc we obviously love media, so why not start a "book club" of sorts? And while we're at it, why limit it to books when we can include video games, tv, movies, comics, anime, manga, etc.
Each month one of the 5 mods will decide a theme for the month, and you guys have to suggest as many options as you can that fit the theme, then we poll the options to narrow it down to the most popular before rinsing and repeating.
To start, I decided to do HD remasters and enhanced ports given today's Nintendo Direct almost solely focused on that.
Give us your ideas in the thread! and no, full fledged remakes like Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are not part of the theme, it's more like Final Fantasy X HD where they just redo minor stuff like graphics and music and add a few new things without starting over from scratch like a full remake usually does.
March 2018: HD remasters and Enhance Ports
April 2018: Games of the Year

Last edited:
This sounds awesome! If I had to pick some options for this one they would be:
Final Fantasy X-X2 HD
Final Fantasy XII HD
Okami HD
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

Definitely all for Okami HD, Beauty and the Beast, Annie, 101 Dalmatians, and maybe Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Listing more movies since they're easier to watch/get access to.

Skies of Arcadia: Legends
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
L.A Noire (HD Remaster)

I'd give some movie suggestions, but admittedly I don't watch many movies at all (my attention span is too short for that haha).

My votes are on:

Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
Okami HD
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Shadow of The Colossus HD

Well looks like there’s not enough interest for the voting phase, so everything nominated thus far will be our dicussion point :/
Let’s just chat about the topic for this month to our best ability while The mods find a way to fine tune this system.
Anyways, I personally like the concept of hd ramasters if the game feels fresh enough that a full remake isn’t nessecary yet. FFX and okami being excellant examples
On the other hand it’s kind of a double edged sword as the ratchet and clank ones were hit hard with glitches and crashes thanks to having to reopen old code.

Hmm maybe this thread doesn't get enough visibility just in this section? Maybe advertise it in Discord/Blogs if there was enough interest there?

I love HD remasters. Some games just need some polished graphics and they are good to go on newer consoles/PC. Its also really nice when the soundtrack gets some arranged tracks. Some of them just sound smoother then original tracks. When Final Fantasy X HD released I vaguely remember a stink made by a small group of people who were just furious over the arranged tracks? Seemed kinda silly to me because the arranged tracks sounded just as good as the original to me at least. I feel like if you're going to remaster a game and up res the graphics why not up res the music as well. Another plus to remasters is the addition of international content or like with Valkyrie Chronicles all the DLC.

I really like HD remasters since its sometimes a pain to plug in old systems just to play some old favorites (especially consoles that are pre-HDMI era), so being able to play them on modern stuff is great. It's also nice to get the crisper visuals, and I like that general the remasters don't change too much, just make the games look better. Like the Sonic Adventure 2 HD remaster (PS3). It is just a fresh coat of paint for the most part, but it looks fantastic and bright and crisp in HD. Remakes are fun for some games too, but I generally prefer remasters since you know exactly what you're getting with a remaster. Some minor changes (like the music in X that CakeFairyForever mentioned above me, most of it was really well-done minus Tidus and Auron's themes imo) is nice too and it's hard to argue against extra content if the devs want to put in the effort. And remasters are of course great to let people who may have missed games the first time around get a chance to enjoy some great gaming.

I think Dreamcast games in particular benefit from remasters since the system didn't last long and many people probably missed out on those games, and the DC had a great library. I wish Sega would remaster more of their stuff, like Skies of Arcadia. It's nice to see Dreamcast-era character models just in higher quality since it was such a charming time graphically.

I don't know if its a thing in all remasters but FFX HD gives you the option to not use the rearranged tracks or ignore the international sphere grid. That way you could skip most of the new content if you really wanted the nostalgia trip. Even Odin Sphere had something like that. If every remaster had something like that I think they'd be more popular. If I wanted to play the original game Id just plug in the old console though so I always play with the new stuff turned on. :ROFLMAO:

The only real remaster that I know of off the top of my head is Secret of Mana. And yes, I will defend that remake until I die, because I feel that the vitriolic hate it's gotten is really stupid and unjustified, even though I do admit the remaster isn't a perfect game. The "skits" you access when at the inn are great in that they flesh out the characters and give them much more personality, the 3D art style is cute (It reminds me of Tales of Symphonia, though I admit the lack of mouth movements does irk me a little bit), the English voice acting isn't as bad as people claim (Honestly, the only voice I thought was bad was Dryad. Why does a cute little tree girl sound like an old lady with strep throat?!), and the remade OST can be amazing at points.

April 8th - May 7th: Games of the Year
this months topic, courtesy of my coworker @Fluttershy of Light is games of the year (and movies too, should that be your fancy instead)
for reference, the most credible sources of what constitutes a GotY are, like it or not, professional reviewers, most notably IGN, Gamespot, and Game informer as those are the biggest 3 game journalists out there.
Here is a list for future reference if you need help on what to discuss (thanks wikipedia!)

Are you wanting us to name our personal game of the year for 2017? Wanting to make sure I understand the question. ^^;

Hm, looking through the 3 biggest game sites, I noticed that a lot of the picks are similar outside of the Reader's Choice sections. I guess that goes without surprise, since critically acclaimed games are liable to be popular regardless of the site. The one that popped out the most for me was Super Mario Galaxy. I definitely agree that it deserved a lot of praise, especially as one of the Wii's best entries. (And earliest to boot) It's a little more striking since Nintendo games have a harder time winning these sorts of awards, even back in the early 2000s it seems.

As I recall Fire Emblem Fates was voted the best-selling 3DS game for 2016. That's gotta count for something.

Looking through a lot of these publications and the winners they choose, it seems like the most highly acclaimed games tend to also be the biggest blockbusters (contrast with the movie industry). It makes sense, since I think a lot of people would say that the game packed to the bursting point with the most sheer amount of stuff kinda “deserves” the recognition, but yeah, I still like seeing publications with other priorities when it comes to the games they consider the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom