• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EV Training

Do YOU EV train?

• Yes, it allows for strategy

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No, Math is hard

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I don't play the games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mukubird

Ben Eary
Reaction score
Didn't put this the D/P forum since it applies to other games as well. So, does anyone else here EV/Nature/IV train? I've only started during this gen, since there's Wi-Fi, and I really didn't get into the games of last gen. Frankly, it doesn't bother me when people say that I have no life simply because I EV train. So, what's your guys' experiences about EV training?

Yo, slight question. What's EV training again? I'm sure I know, I just forgot somewhere along the line. =P

But anyway, I don't DV train or EV train. (Atleast I think I don't EV train.) I do train natures, or atleast I will after I finally finish the rush of beating Diamond 3 times, once with each of the starters.

It's a method used by competitive battlers. EV training is fainting the same Pokémon that give out specific EV points. For, example, one that EV trains for Speed will kill Starlys since each kill nets one Speed EV point. Every 4 EV Points in one stat will result in +1 Point on Speed at Lv. 100, with a maximum of 255 EV points in one stat, and 510 EV points in the entire Pokémon. The vitamins also work this way, either giving or taking away 10 EV points in one stat. Items such as Macho Brace and the Power Item won in the Battle Tower, along with Pokérus can help speed up EV training.

I have never EV trained, I dont even really know what it is, nor do I have a clue about how to do it. I dont even check natures.

Though im sure it really helps, I dont know if im dedicated enough.

Maybe ill find a good article that can teach me.

I EV train when it's for a specific event, say, Pokemon to be used in Pokemon Colosseum to earn Ho-Oh or the Battle Frontier. Throughout a typical play-through I refrain. It'd just be too darn boring.

Honestly, I trained a team with EVs and good natures and all that stuff and didn't notice a significant enough difference in game to make it worth the effort. I'm sure it's well and good for competitive battling and all that jazz, but I battle other people just for fun. Anyway, if you want to bother with it then that's fine too.

I don't EV train when I'm just playing in-game since it's useless. You can beat anything with anything in-game. :p

The only time I EV train is when I'm bored and I want to see if I can beat someone in a Wi-Fi battle. The other reason I EV train a few Pokemon is so I can take on the Battle Tower and have a chance since that whole place is hax, lol.

Frankly, Palmer's hax Milotic is more than enough reason to EV train for me.

EV training makes my head hurt. Plus, I don't really have a reason to, since I pretty much only batle for fun. Competetive battling and all that jazz ain't my bag, baby.

I didn't need to anythign until this gen, with Wifi and all. This gen I'll be breeding for IV/DVs and Natures, and then EV training.

I ev train all my pokemon I battle with, Ev training and Iv's,movesets and natures will help a lot when you are battling.

I'm working on EV training a really good team for Battle Tower. I also happened to find Pokerus on my own in the game so that will come in handy. Right now it's Beldum that I'm training.

Yeah, EV training is extremely easy when you have PokeRus and the Macho Brace on a Pokemon. Everything that gives off 1 EV now gives 4, and everything that gives off 2 EV's now gives 8. Extremely handy. ;-) Plus add into the fact that you can Vitamin your Pokemon up 100 EV's in the beginning and you're on a cake walk. :p (Like me. :-D)

I personally say screw EV training, and just take what I get. If I lose, eh, oh well. If I win, great. Sure, when I was radaring, I thought to myself "damn, this'll be helpful in EV training", but only for a second.

Heck, all of those different strategies for different Pokémon? I throw them out the window, too. I really just do my own thing, focusing on the stats of the Pokémon I have and just giving them attacks based on that. High Speed? No Quick Attack/Mach Punch/Aqua Jet/whatever for you. High Attack? Jump on the Physical moves. High Special Attack? Jump on the Special moves. High HP, Defense, Special Defense? Sure, those can help me stick around, but I still look mainly at what the Pokémon's better at dealing damage with.

I do use Pokérus, though. After all, why not?

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom