• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO EVENT (OVER): Global Catch Challenge (Nov. 20 - Dec. 1, 2017)

Zexy

Quaxly Boy
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
A new event has been announced, and this time it's following a style similar to the one first seen in GO Fest. Introducing the Global Catch Challenge!

View: https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/932324956251279360

In a few words, the goal is to catch 3 billion Pokémon worldwide from now until November 26th. When certain milestones are reached, the respective rewards get unlocked:
  • For 500 million catches, double XP and Lure Modules that last for 6 hours.
  • For 1.5 billion catches, double Stardust is unlocked as well.
  • For 3 billion catches, the regional specific Pokémon Farfetch'd becomes available worldwide and Kangashkan becomes available in East Asia, both for 48 hours, until the event's end in November 28th.
After recent clarification: https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn....=957355ea8bee03b529b9606b0707720b&oe=5A139324
The rewards get unlocked as soon as possible and last until December 1st with the exception of the two regionals.
>Gold tier (Farfetch'd available worldwide and Kangashkan in East Asia for 48 hours, Double XP, double Stardust, and 6 hour Lures) has been unlocked!

There are also shop bonuses available at this time. They are:
  • Super Incubator - 200 Coins
  • Special Box: 20 Great Balls, 6 Lucky Eggs, 1 Premium Raid Pass, 4 Lure Modules - 380 Coins
  • Ultra Box: 16 Lucky Eggs, 4 Premium Raid Passes, 8 Lure Modules, 30 Ultra Balls - 880 Coins
The event is now over. Stardust and XP are now at the normal rate. The shop bonuses are still available for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to find statements of how many Pokémon have been caught in a time period. No luck. So here are my thoughts on this.
We have 6 days to catch 3 billion, because everybody wants Farfetch'd. The first 500 million will be the hardest, because once we get 2x EXP it will help motivate to catch more.
I have seen statements that there are 5 million to 50 million daily players. If there are 5 million daily players, we're screwed, because the average of 100 a day seems unattainable. I don't believe the 50 million daily players because the average would be 10 a day and that's way too easy. I'm hoping for about 16 million daily players so an average of 33 a day.

A bit less than 1/10th of the goal in 1/7th of the time... that doesn't look good, but as soon as we reach 500 million and double XP/6 hour Lures get unlocked, this number should start increasing rapidly until the hype dies down a bit again. That's when the event really begins for most people, me included; it's what we've been waiting for since Halloween. So this is what I'm going to cover for the rest of the post:

PREPWORK:
>Get Pokemon GO Plus. Just did it earlier today :) It was about time honestly, I held off on it a bit too long. I've decided to hold off on getting USUM for its sake, but I believe it's worth the sacrifice; USUM is a great game yes, but GO is something I'm playing much more and more consistently; knowing me my excitement for USUM would die out somewhat soon just like it did for Su/Mo, while GO persists. As for why I actually need the Plus more than ever now, it's so I can maximize Lucky Egg efficiency; this is the first XP event I'm taking super-seriously. It's also a long-time investment on the game, it will keep paying off in future events.
>Get a Pokemon Storage upgrade. I was torn on this one, I was thinking of saving all storage upgrades for the release of Gen III, hoping we'll get a discount; but I desperately needed the +50 now, because I can't fit all my 2000+ CP keeps from Halloween, 75 slots for evolutions and a few more free for Plus otherwise.
>Stock up on Poke Balls and Berries (?) I'm torn on this one too; just stocking up and unleashing it all once double XP kicks in is kinda selfish, I should be catching as much as I can until we reach the 500 million goal too. So I'm not totally shutting down on catches still, but I'm certainly more picky with when to use better quality Poke Balls/Berries now than I'll be after the double XP kicks in.
>Buy a pack of 8 Lucky Eggs. To be done as soon as the event hits if there's no discount announced by then, although I'll probably get a few more singles.

GOALS:
>Get as much XP as possible. Ideally reach Level 36 before the event is over, because reaching Level 35 is pretty much certain. As for how to do that? Camp a spot with 4 Lured PokeStops (that will have Lures active 24/7 thanks to them lasting 6 hours). Two things I can do from there:
>>Lucky Egg pops: To be done whenever I reach 75 evolutions ready to go. Lucky Egg popped, mass evolving, spinning/catching everything with Plus. Should lead to more than 150.000 XP per pop, not sure how much yet. I also have 5 Incense from the Box last event that will be used here.
>>Non-Lucky Egg pops: Just keep spinning/catching everything so I can replenish the 75 evolutions until I pop the next Lucky Egg.

The time-based schedule so far says that with just the Candy I have, a few catches to replenish the evolutions and the 8 Lucky Eggs, I'm very easily hitting Level 35, which will give me 2 Incenses and 1 more Lucky Egg. From there it's an uphill ride hopefully to 36 and maybe even further. Once double Stardust kicks in I can start farming that too. Then, if we get Farfetch'd, I have to focus on getting one; once that's done, it's back to farming till December 1st. Meanwhile I wrap up the Raikou Raids for some more XP and Candy there and it's all coming out nicely.

Here are some rough figures
hours
1-24 - 12,500,00 per hour
25-36 - 16,666,666 per hour

Assuming we have 5.5 days left to get 2,500,000 we need to average 18,900,000 per hour

Last edited:
Yeah we need to up it just a bit more but I have a feeling that after this announcement, some people will take it more seriously; and after Silver hits all the players who care about Stardust and not XP should join in more and we can do even better.

Oh, the boxes for the event have been announced too, forgot to post about this earlier:
> Super Incubator : 200 Coins
> Special Box: 6x Lucky Egg, 1x Premium Raid Pass, 4x Lure Module, 20x Great Ball - 380 Coins
> Ultra Box: 16x Lucky Egg, 4x Premium Raid Pass, 8x Lure Module, 30x Ultra Ball - 880 Coins

Personally I think these aren't as great compared to offers we got in past events; I've heard lots of negative criticism for the Super Incubator in particular, no one seems to prefer it over its regular alternative. The two boxes are OK enough, I guess; I did buy a Special one and may buy one more, not sure yet.

Anyways, first day of double XP in and I popped 2 Lucky Eggs (out of the 6 bought from the Box), unfortunately my phone was lagging in the second one (never going to attempt this again after a few hours of playtime when it's heating up) so I only got slightly more than 50 in the second time; first was a good 75 :) I'm only 20000 XP away from Level 35 (one Raikou Raid), so that's a definitely a given for tomorrow. At this rate I should grab 36 in time, problem is it'll be harder to replenish evolutions each time; the Nidoran are almost over, I'm not getting enough Pidgey...

Event's going really well for me as already explained in the Adventure Log, especially with the 100% Farfetch'd which is a little miracle :p. Got lots of XP and will definitely hit 36 before it's over at this rate, 2 more Lucky Egg pops needed with which I'll expend all the ones I have... my dilemma is whether I should buy more and keep going in hopes of getting a headstart on 37.

Stardust's gone to record levels, never got this much before; glad I got a second chance after messing the Equinox event hard. It will keep rising of course, wonder how much it'll end up being. My guess is a bit above 500k at this rate.

What I need to do but never get around it because of how bored I get at the mere thought of it is using up the 7 Incense from the Halloween box and the 35 levelup... it means I need to walk for 3 hours and a half at the seaside park ugh -_- My original plan was for Friday morning but I had to cancel it and since I managed to get a Raid done today I can actually do it tomorrow when I won't have to worry about Raids after all.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom