• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ever wonder how the Contest World is doing?

Are you curious about the contest world from time to time?

• Always

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Never

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Nickelback4Ever

Reaction score
I mean Contests were apart of the show for 8 years......10 if you count showcases as Contest-adjacent(I don't, necessarily but with Palermo encouraging Serena to do them to help her out and the appeal round vs freestyle......yeah)

May, Dawn, and Serena all partake in them currently (at least, we have no reason to believe otherwise).
Dawn vs Zoey (while a great match) does not satisfy me as the final contest battle we get to see on TV....

So many questions left unanswered:
-Did May ever beat Soledad or win The Grand Festival?
-How are Drew and Harley doing?
-Did Dawn enter a second Wallace Cup and ever see Kenny, Ursula, and Zoey again?
-How would Dawn interact with Drew and Harley?
-Would matches like Drew vs Zoey and Dawn vs Soledad be a possibility?
-How was Serena's first contest and how would she do in her first Grand Festival?
-Where is Nando in all of this?

I am curious about all of this and more. I think I know the answer to this question but: am I alone?

I think I know the answer to this question but: am I alone?
No, my friend, you are not.

I think there should be a late-series Alola Contest Expo as an excuse to bring Serena back for her obligatory stint, give all our favourite coordinators a cameo and reintroduce the kiddies to the wonder that is contests!

I do, but sadly I don't see the anime revisiting it anytime soon. They were just so enjoyable and dynamic. It would be nice if we had some closure on Dawn, May, and Serena's Contest exploits.

I'm still shocked they didn't have like a Serena/Lisia special promoting ORAS and Contest Spectaculars.

It's nice to know others feel the same. I share your same sentiments. Seriously! I don't know how Sun and Moon has not even brought up contests, have they?

Anyone think the interview the writers did right around when Misty and Brock came back in SM will come true? You know the ones where we hear from old protagonists potentially?

It seems pretty hard to believe that Clemont/Bonnie got a special (including the second post Unova appearance of Cilan), but the extremely popular Serena isn't going to get anything. I think it would have been a wonderful opportunity to show her participating in her first contest, but it seems way too late for that now. I still think they will have something with Serena at some point. Maybe contests could return in Gen 8 (even though the in-game versions aren't too popular, if the Switch game has a ton more capacity, they could definitely throw in 1 contest hall (like Emerald) for those of us who love contests) and then they could have a special (or two, or three, or more please?) showing all our favorite contest protagonists. Unfortunately I think it is next to impossible we will see characters like Drew, Harley, Solidad, Zoey, Nando, Kenny, Ursula, Marina, etc because they (basically) never bring back support characters like that.

But as an answer to your first question, yes a million times I wonder how the contest world is doing. It would be really awesome to see some of these cross-regional matchups, I think Serena's first contest being against someone like Harley or Ursula would be super entertaining. I would really like to see Dawn against Drew too, I think that would be pretty fun. And of course I just want to see May in any way possible (although please not in SM art style).

I think a contest expo in SM is a slight possibility, but I find it very unlikely, I think the best hope we have is if gen 8 has contests, and even then its pretty unlikely considering even ORAS didn't get us any more than a passing mention of contests in the anime.

It seems pretty hard to believe that Clemont/Bonnie got a special (including the second post Unova appearance of Cilan), but the extremely popular Serena isn't going to get anything.

Legit, if we never hear from Serena again it's as if the writers want her to solely be remembered as the girl who kissed Ash before she said goodbye.

Unfortunately I think it is next to impossible we will see characters like Drew, Harley, Solidad, Zoey, Nando, Kenny, Ursula, Marina, etc because they (basically) never bring back support characters like that.

Marina <3 It'd be awesome to see a female character own the contest world with a Feraligator at that! And unfortunately this is too true it seems.
I mean, the Wallace Cup definitely got my hopes it. All the cameos from May's rivals and the reason any coordinator from any region can join, makes it one possibility but a long shot.

But as an answer to your first question, yes a million times I wonder how the contest world is doing. It would be really awesome to see some of these cross-regional matchups, I think Serena's first contest being against someone like Harley or Ursula would be super entertaining. I would really like to see Dawn against Drew too, I think that would be pretty fun. And of course I just want to see May in any way possible (although please not in SM art style).

ALL OF THESE ARE GREAT POSSIBILITIES. Serena running into Ursula or Harley for her first contest or even having to face "Jessilina" after a comeback would be awesome. I also think Dawn would give Drew a run for his money depending on which members of her team she used.

I feel like if you threw all the coordinators we ever saw into an epic Contest reunion, who knows who might be victorious.

I think a contest expo in SM is a slight possibility, but I find it very unlikely, I think the best hope we have is if gen 8 has contests, and even then its pretty unlikely considering even ORAS didn't get us any more than a passing mention of contests in the anime.

I sure hope so. It's unfortunate the writers dropped it so quickly. I feel if there is enough outcry in Japan, there may be a shot to see them again.

I wonder, but their time has passed. Chances are we'll likely never see any again :(

The Games aren't using them anymore (outside of remakes), so there's little point in them being in the Show.

That's all there is to it. It sucks and is a little unfair, but that's just the way things are.

The best we can hope for is them being used to promote Gen 4 remakes, and even then that's doubtful.

I wonder, but their time has passed. Chances are we'll likely never see any again :(

The Games aren't using them anymore (outside of remakes), so there's little point in them being in the Show.

That's all there is to it. It sucks and is a little unfair, but that's just the way things are.

The best we can hope for is them being used to promote Gen 4 remakes, and even then that's doubtful.
It's really sad :(. I liked them both in the anime and the games. I hope it comes back... somehow. :(

I've missed Contests so much over the years and I do wish that they were still featured in the anime. It was a great way to give the female leads something to do and it was another form of battling that helped to make the series last through a generation. I can't blame them for not including them after DP. They weren't featured in the games outside of remakes, so it wouldn't make much sense to promote a sidequest that wasn't featured in a main series game. Even so, it felt like the anime lost something important when Contests were removed and they haven't found a good replacement for it even after all this time. If anything, Pokemon Showcases made me miss Contests even more because they actually required effort and strategy as opposed to dancing along a stage, doing a pretty similar routine every time, like what Serena did, and being voted based more on popularity rather than actual skill.

I would love to find out how May and Dawn are doing. I'm still upset that we never found out how May did in the Johto Grand Festival or how Dawn did with Hoenn Contests after going through the Wallace Cup again. I would love to see them bring back Contests so that they could have another coordinator in the main cast. That might be hoping for too much, but I can dream.

368.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.

I do sometimes wonder how the world of Pokemon Contests are doing. I especially wonder how Serena has managed in Hoenn so far. The last we ever heard of contests was when Serena decided to travel to Hoenn to become a coordinator after Palermo suggested it, so it does make me wonder. I still sometimes wonder how May, Dawn, Drew, and all the other coordinators me met are doing.

This really should've done a contest episode/arc in gen 6. Just have them go to Hoenn for no reason. They did it for Kanto in gen 7, so... yeah. Also... Kanto in gen 3.

Serena learns about contests from a returning Dawn or May and learn that the Wallace Cup in is in Hoenn next week. Serena wants to try it out. We all go to Hoenn and suddenly, all the former guys we cared about are there! Serena is runner up to Lisia, who is claimed to be a multiple GF winner. She won them whist Ash was outside Hoenn. Each win was against a former protag :L

I love Lisia lol. Give her them world titles.

if they would want to make a spin off series or part of the show about contests then the 3 girls could get more screentime.
Would be interesting to see if Kalos would chage it's contests into more battle oriented ones in future.
Loved gen 3 and 4 contest battles, especially the full ones.

Thank you for this thread. I miss Pokémon Contests so much and it's nice having a thread to talk about them again.

-Did May ever beat Soledad or win The Grand Festival?
Doubtful. Solidad was presented as this talented af Coordinator and she studied May's battling style during the Kanto Grand Festival to use it against her, so even if May changed the way she approaches Contest Battles, Solidad was probably aware of that if the two were running into each other often while in Johto. Also, when May appeared for the Wallace Cup, she mentioned she was having trouble with her rivals, and Solidad is hands down the strongest and most skilled of the bunch. About the Grand Festival, I don't think May won because main characters aren't allowed to win their major competition.

-How are Drew and Harley doing?
Pretty good I think. Drew has evolved his Roselia into Roserade and taught it Mega Drain after two Pokémon Contest circuits in which Roselia had the exact same moveset, so that's a plus. About Harley, well, May said she couldn't beat him and his Wigglytuff, so I guess his skills have improved.

-Did Dawn enter a second Wallace Cup and ever see Kenny, Ursula, and Zoey again?
She did travel to Johto to compete in the Wallace Cup a second time and it's a shame we never got to see that. As Dawn said to Kenny, as long as they share the dream of becoming Top Coordinator, they will see each other again. (Zoey is already a Top Coordinator but she is best friends with Dawn so I guess they keep in touch?)

-How would Dawn interact with Drew and Harley?
Dawn gets along well with most people. Before her appearance in the Best Wishes series, there were comments about her interaction with Iris and how their personalities were different, but the two actually discussed things which they did have in common, so as the annoyance caused by one of their traveling companions (Brock's flirtatious nature and Cilan's hobbies) and the disobedience of one of their Pokémon (Mamoswine for Dawn, Dragonite for Iris).

-Would matches like Drew vs Zoey and Dawn vs Soledad be a possibility?
Dawn vs Solidad is possible, but I don't know if Zoey went on a new journey after she fulfilled her dream of winning the Grand Festival. We know that some Top Coordinators start a new circuit after their victories, such as Robert and Solidad, but some others will stop competing in Pokémon Contests, as did Johanna. Maybe Zoey is teaching kids about coordinating at the Snowpoint Trainers' School, maybe she's traveling again.

-How was Serena's first contest and how would she do in her first Grand Festival?
Terribly. I can count Serena's battles on one hand and four of them were interrupted. Serena is not a good battler and Pokémon Contests do have a Battle Stage, so it is very unlikely that her first experience in these competitions ended well. Hopefully she didn't go bald after losing.

-Where is Nando in all of this?
Probably still partaking in both Pokémon Contests and Gym battles, and being a better Coordinator than a Trainer. Zoey was right.

I was and still am
When Serena left to go do them, I got excited thinking her special(Which she hasn't received) would revolve around the contest scene and debut Lisia. Maybe give Serena a Mudkip too....
Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed she hasn't gotten a special. I guess I'll have to settle for a class trip to Hoenn, where the gang partake in a contest and meet Serena. Hopefully she's had some team changes unlike Brock/Misty :/

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom