• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Everybody is a Different Type of Mafia Mafia [Cancelled]

Reaction score
Good day, everybody! Apologies for the late start on this; the holiday season was a real nail-biter, and with my daughter just having her 9th Birthday, I am finally caught up to where I need to be. That said, I've got it all ready to go, so here we go, the official Bulbagarden's Elieson Presents Everybody is a Different Type of Mafia Mafia Version 1!

General Rules:
  • In this type of game, everyone submits an Alias. They will go by that for the purpose of night actions. Do with that what you will. There are no limits (with the exception of Bulbagarden Rules) to this. You will be most often referred to as being this alias, and both you and other players will not know innately the player behind the alias, unless shared.
  • No being a jerk. No Loophole abuse. Consult me if you feel as though you've discovered a loophole. I may reward you for it.
Rules Regarding Roles/Night Actions/Phase Operations:
  • Submission (Joining)
    • Submit all actions formally via your RolePM. These are used for Timestamp confirmation, and will not be accepted by Discord submission or any other way.
  • Phase Time Handling
    • N1 & N2 are 48 hours. N3-> are 24 hours. With only nights, Lynches won't occur (even though the game will clearly take place during the daytime).
    • Once I receive all actions, and publically declare it, actions are considered locked and phase ends.
    • Late Submission/No-Shows for Night Actions (with no justification) get slapped on the wrist the first time and Mod-killed the second time.
  • Action Submission/Targetting
    • All actions will have a predetermined order of Priority. If things occured over a night phase that do not make sense to you, it is possible that the priorities of roles varied from what you expected. This, along with a full list of night actions, roles, etc, will be released in Postgame.
    • No Self-targeting unless your role specifically states so.
    • You may target the dead/nonlisted players and/or aliases, but I cannot promise that results will occur.
  • Results Interpretation
    • If I reply to your RolePM with results, you will be given a count of BPVs, and a full historical breakdown of action results.
      • If you are hit, but also obtained a new BPV, you will be informed of both, not just the current balance of BPVs in your stock
    • If your action or shot has been redirected, you will know who it was redirected to.
      • If I do not specify if your action on [X] was successful/failed, but simply state that it was successful, it means that your attempt of targetting [X] did indeed target [X].
    • If your action or shot fails, you will be given clues to interpret how.
      • For instance, if I tell you "Your shot on [X] failed", it is safe to assume that something prevented you from firing. If I tell you "Your shot on [X] succeeded", but the results are not what you would have expected (maybe you shot a person with doctor's protection), then your shot did what it was supposed to do and a different role altered the results..
  • I will not declare player's Role Type(s) until flips, outside of investigative abilities; that's for you to figure out.
  • RP is encouraged, but not mandatory.
  • When in doubt, follow your RolePM. There may be exceptions of roles which defy the rules stated above. Roles take precedence over Rules.
Rules Regarding Winning/Losing:
  • All users will have two Bullet Proof Vests (BPV) to start. All users have a base factional kill. You will be notified if your BPV has been hit. A BPV will only protect against one hit. If you are targeted by more killing actions than vests that you have during a night, and have no other outside means of protection, you will die.
  • If you die before fulfilling your win condition, you cannot win with your failed win condition.
  • The amount of winners that this game can have is 1 + [Player Count divided by 10]. For example, if 9 players join, there can be 1 winner. If 10-19 join, there can be 2 winners. 20-29, 3 winners, etc.
Rules Regarding Outside Communication (OC), for Players and NonPlayers:
  • No Editing in-thread posts. Please minimize OC log editing (if it cannot be avoided).
  • Posting in thread and communicating via Outside Contact is ok. Heck, it's basically mandatory.
    • As this game is OC, communicate with other players however you want. Include me in your logs though (Skype/QT/PM/smoke signal/HAM radi:bulbaWave:etc). This will make Postgame all the better!
  • Do not screenshot OC conversations or Mod-sent Messages (like your Role and Results) with other players, with the intent to share them with other players. Copy/Pasting is allowed, and encouraged. Logs sent in this format can be meddled with but as long as I have the original, what you send to others is free game.
  • No screenshots of Mod-to-you PMs (aka don't screenshot messages I send to your RolePM). Copy/Paste is ok...or fake it, I don't care! As long as it's not a screenshot, I don't care.
  • Those who are not participating in the game, or those that are dead and out of the game, should not interfere with those who are living, and should minimize communication with outside nonplayers. If someone plans to sub into this game, they would be banned from doing so if they join with outside knowledge. That said, if you want to join the game as an Informed Observer (IO), please post so in the thread, and you'll be included in OC chats.
Banned Roles/Abilities:

The following roles in their original/full form are banned (These have been present in OC games in which I've participated in, or hosted, and have proven to be too imbalanced to be truly fun for the game):
  1. Communism: equalizes BPV counts among all players
    1. This is both annoying for me as a host, and for the playerbase.
  2. Rule Maker: changes the rules of the game
    1. Rules are carefully crafted by the host, and are too hard to limit outside involvement for maintaining balance
  3. Faust: access to the mod sheet
    1. Too much info. 'Nuff said.
  4. Ganon Cannon: an unblockable real time kill which unstoppably kills the target and doesn’t need an Alias but rather a player name for its target
    1. Perfect Aim defies the point of Alias submission, and instant death is too much power for any one person to deserve.
  5. Resurrector: brings a dead player back into the game
    1. This goes against the spirit of Mafia, in my opinion.
  6. Hidden: players that are not on the player or alias list
    1. These players effectively cannot lose, or are too often spoiled before games even start. To prevent this from being an issue, the Hidden type is just banned.
  7. Question Asker: unrestricted QAs that can ask the host anything about game state
    1. Too much info. 'Nuff said.
  8. Permanent Vanillizer: causes a player to lose their roles permanently
    1. I didn't build roles just to neutralize them! That said, Temporary Vanillization is not banned.
  9. Medium: gives access to the graveyard
    1. Graveyard people often have too much info to share, and this is way too huge of an advantage. Also, this often leads to more drama than any human being wants to deal with.
  10. Self-busdriver: a bus driver that is able to switch themselves with another player
    1. When paired with other roles, is effectively immune to actions while also punishing another person.
  11. Immortal: cannot be killed
    1. Does this need explaining?
  12. NOC Enforcer: causes a player to lose their abilities to Outside Contact
    1. Nobody joins an OC game that wants to be stuck talking to nobody, outside of their control.
  13. Real-Time Investigators: Any kind of role which punishes players for early action submissions (real-time Tracker/Watcher, etc)
    1. This is just too powerful, as it's too easy to mess with actions post-submission, and gives unfair info advantages

What's this game's gimmick? Why, it's based on your typing, of course. Every player will submit up to two Types, akin to the 18 types of Pokemon that exist. Each type will have a power associated with it, and based on what you pick for yourself, you'll receive a role based on those types of powers. This list will be summarized in the OP during signups (details below). The way they will work is similar to;

Player 1 submits Alias NuType and Types Electric & Fire. They receive a role which consists of the Thunder focused Roleblocking, and Fire focused Burning, resulting in them becoming an Alternate-Night Roleblocker/BPV Destroyer (On Odd nights, they can prevent X from acting, and on Even nights, they can use an additional low-priority shot which targets and melts away 1 BPV worn by Y).

Alternatively

Player 2 submits Alias Lone Ranger and only the Dragon Type. They receive a role which consists of Dragon focused Power, and have their standard shot augmented to always be more powerful than a regular shot. Because Player B only picked one Type, they only receive one Power, but it's stronger than if they picked say, Dragon & Ghost, giving them two extra shots, but also Evasion from the first shot submitted on them on any night until Night 3.

What this means, is that the aforementioned Roleblocking and BPV Destroyer are not definitively what you can expect to receive with your Type selection. However, what you can expect is that if more than one person selects the same Type combination, (such as Electric/Fire and Ground/Fire), the ability provided by Fire will be the same for both users. Submitting multiple types that bestow submittable actions (Active abilities) will have a strong chance of giving you powers that you can use on those positioned nights. In the above scenario for Player 1, if you swapped Fire and Thunder, the ability order would be reversed. Consider this a hint for early game strategy, as certain powers are often better for N1 than others.

Finally, certain Types will be augmentative types (such as Rock being Strong). These when combined with other types, may change how your role is generated. An example could be picking Rock/Electric, resulting in you being Strong-Willed Roleblocker (on Even nights, you can prevent another player from acting. Your action cannot be redirected, blocked or delayed.

Also, to be clear, there is no "Type Advantage" in here, over others. This is simply a method of determining what powers you have.

The full list of Types, and their expected Abilities (as in, hints suggesting abilities) is listed below:

1. Bug: Swarming
  2. Dark: Nimble
  3. Dragon: Powerful
  4. Electric: Blocking
  5. Fairy: Disruptive
  6. Fighting: Aggressive
  7. Fire: Burning
  8. Flying: Finesse
  9. Ghost: Evasive
  10. Grass: Omnipotent
  11. Ground: Sturdy
  12. Ice: Glass
  13. Normal: Wildcard (Higher power of any of the types, but Type is randomly determined)
  14. Poison: Slow
  15. Psychic: Informative
  16. Rock: Abrasive
  17. Steel: Defensive
  18. Water: Balanced
Consider this game a nod to @Max1996 's War of the Elements non-mafia games, as the conception of this stems heavily from his series of games, and he absolutely deserves your credit when considering joining this game.

Definitions of the Roles, as provided, will not be given pre-game, and if a player dies with a certain role, unless their submission type matches yours, your role may vary from theirs.

What to do if you want to join:
  1. Post in here that you will be joining.
    1. If your post does not include a picture that goes along with the theme of this game, AND the username of the person who posted immediately before you (or close to, if timing is inconvenient and ninjas happen), I'll assume you don't care to read the rules fully and if you can't read the rules, I ain't letting you in!
  2. After posting your Signup post, Send me a PM including your choice of Alias, as well as up to two Pokémon types. When game starts, I'll distribute a PM to you with your Role.
  3. Signups are open until Friday, February 8 (My birthday) at 11:59pm. GMT=0 (7:59pm EST/GMT-5). The game should thus start between February 10 - 11 depending on game size and time required to potentially re-balance.
*Suggestion: Post the best method of OC Communication for yourself when you Signup, to improve your odds of winning.

The Standard Win-Con

You are allied with yourself, and win when you become the most powerful type! To achieve this title, you must be the last surviving member of the game, or in a situation in which nothing can prevent this from occurring.
  • Signups [Living Players]
  • Alias List [Living Aliases], not revealed until Game Start
  • Potentially Relevant Color List [Living Colors], not revealed until Game Start
  • Graveyard [Dead Players | Dead Aliases | Dead Colors]
    1. Winner(s)
    2. Night 1
    3. Night 2
    4. Night 3
  • Not Playing but Still Involved (and How)
..::MAIN SOURCES FOR OC (OUTSIDE COMMUNICATION)::..
How to Contact the Host
Skype=[email protected] | Discord=Elieson#4395
Bulbagarden Username=Elieson | Serenes Forest Username=Elieson

Last edited:
Only if @Max1996 reads the gat'dang rules, and posts a thematic picture!
Derp. :p
My bad, Elieson!

latest

04f.gif_c200
In please! PMs are best for me even if i respond at the pace of a snail to practically anything
h3E679801

also Max1996

Back
Top Bottom