• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Evil Team Discussion/Speculation

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
A thread for discussing the prospective evil team of this new region. What ideas might fit, what are you hoping to see?

Team Yell was a funny gag but I'm hoping to finally have an evil team with some menace, and not have a twist villain unrelated to the "main" team like we've had the last few gens.

I don't think we're getting standard evil teams anymore. Morally dubuous organizations that seem benign at first seem like what's taken over the classic organized crime groups.

If the school theory is correct. My money is on the school having some kind of Skull and Bones secret society that's out to stop the player for some reason. Maybe the spider logo we see in the trailer is the logo of this organization.

Since they probably won't be a standard team, they're name will probably be something like the Order of [Ariados/Galvantula/Araquanid/possible new spider] or the Brotherhood of the Web.

I don't think we're getting standard evil teams anymore. Morally dubuous organizations that seem benign at first seem like what's taken over the classic organized crime groups.
I'd be fine with that if Game Freak was capable of doing it well, and thus far they have not proven themselves capable of that, lol. Team Plasma was the closest they've gotten, and even then they showed their evil hand early on.

The only interesting thing about Aether was Lusamine and her relationship to her children, and Macro Cosmos was a joke.

I hope the “evil team” for Scarlet is the Violet school and vice versa. Assuming you are a member of the school, the rival school can contain rivals of varying friendliness, professors and headmasters that have their own hidden objectives, etc.

I'd be fine with that if Game Freak was capable of doing it well, and thus far they have not proven themselves capable of that, lol. Team Plasma was the closest they've gotten, and even then they showed their evil hand early on.

The only interesting thing about Aether was Lusamine and her relationship to her children, and Macro Cosmos was a joke.
Still though, at least in my opinion, Aether and Macros Cosmos did seem more of a threat than Team Skull (disenfranchised millennials) or Team Yell (rowdy fanboys/fangirls). The standard evil teams haven't felt like a real threat since Team Plasma mostly because Team Flair seemed much more cookie cutter than Aether, tbh.

Besides, maybe Aether and Macros Cosmos were just tests. I mean after three generations starting with Lysandre Labs, they probably had to have hammered out the kinks with the idea of having non-standard evil teams by now.

Who knows, maybe since the game was more than likely made by the B-team...they could have better writers than the main team.

If this region is Spain, there is only one choice we logically have to go with.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!

Jokes aside, I'm kinda sick of the evil team or organization gimmick since there is one almost every game even the spinoffs like PMD or Ranger. I'm really just hoping for something new instead of Teams or something similar to Gens 7 or 8. I joke but also half-serious that GameFreak can make Team Evil and expect us to believe their good guys before "ah, they been evil this whole time!? Team Evil!?"

They deconstructed (or should I say destroyed) so much of the concept in SWSH that I don't think a regular team is that necessary nowadays. Maybe they saw Team Rainbow Rocket as the natural conclussion of it and we'll only see solitary villains with a few generic grunts from now on? But if I had to speculate:
  • An Illuminati-like society that operates in the shadows, opposing the light theme of the titles.
  • Pirates (Flare is Team Magma 2.0 in design, so why not Team Aqua 2.0)
  • Marines: An alternative to the above if they think pirates are redundant. The problem is that they would have to use Quaxly.
If the school theory is correct. My money is on the school having some kind of Skull and Bones secret society that's out to stop the player for some reason. Maybe the spider logo we see in the trailer is the logo of this organization.

Since they probably won't be a standard team, they're name will probably be something like the Order of [Ariados/Galvantula/Araquanid/possible new spider] or the Brotherhood of the Web.

An Spanish youtuber named Ishierro confirmed that the web is a real life icon that represents Madrid and how its main streets lead to the center.

Probably not the best place to say this but, I wouldn't even really consider the Aether Foundation or Macro Cosmos to even be "evil teams" more of "Regular Powerful Companys who just have an evil guy in charge". All the grunts weren't really... evil just doing their job. And then in Arceus there was no Evil Team at all, just a single evil dude only in the post-game which honestly, I think is the better way to go about it. Maybe return to an evil team in the future but for now, the stereotypical 'single evil guy who is usually a twist villain' works.

A thread for discussing the prospective evil team of this new region. What ideas might fit, what are you hoping to see?

Team Yell was a funny gag but I'm hoping to finally have an evil team with some menace, and not have a twist villain unrelated to the "main" team like we've had the last few gens.
I'm honestly just hoping they don't go down the route of doing some sort of "evil team plans to spread a deadly virus through the entire world" story after the pandemic we all had to just endure for the past two years.

I don't think I wanna see a repeat of the games having one typical antagonistic group while a seemingly harmless organization turns out to be the true antagonist. I just want a better antagonist after Team Yell and Marco Cosmos. Sword and Shield's antagonists were the weakest out of any game and I really hope Scarlett and Violet improve on this front. I just wanna see one organization built up over time until 85% of the way through the game, they enact their plans we have to stop.

Yeah...they've pretty much taken the villain teams as far as they can go without things getting stale. Though anything after Gen 8 would more or less have to be an improvement...

If this region is Spain, there is only one choice we logically have to go with.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!

1646285491919.png

(Source:

They deconstructed (or should I say destroyed) so much of the concept in SWSH that I don't think a regular team is that necessary nowadays. Maybe they saw Team Rainbow Rocket as the natural conclussion of it and we'll only see solitary villains with a few generic grunts from now on? But if I had to speculate:
  • An Illuminati-like society that operates in the shadows, opposing the light theme of the titles.
  • Pirates (Flare is Team Magma 2.0 in design, so why not Team Aqua 2.0)
  • Marines: An alternative to the above if they think pirates are redundant. The problem is that they would have to use Quaxly.
I can really, REALLY see a dark organization within the Scarlet and Violet schools plotting things, with surprising reveals of staff members you thought were cool being a part of it and you fighting them. It’s definitely Harry Potter vibes, but honestly why not? There’s so many stories with that kind of plot because it’s easy to do well.

I would also be okay if they just didn’t do villainous teams. You can have one bad guy, or a couple, but honestly, legends didn’t have much in the way of villainy, and it’s the most fun Pokémon game in a while. I think the exploration aspect is way more fun, and way more integral to Pokémon, than the beating-the-bad-guys aspect

While they don’t have to completely dismantle Evil Teams in general, I would be down for them getting rid of the...how do you say in English, the formula I guess?

What I mean is the idea that the antagonists are signposted with the title of “Team X” and have a signature symbol and uniform. They tried that in the last two Gens with the bait and switch of Aether and Macro Cosmos being the true villains, but I would like if they could go further.

i honestly think they should just ditch the whole evil team thing by now. it was getting really stale by the time team flare came around. team skull subverted the concept in an interesting way, but that should have been the end of it. i think we can all agree that team yell was dumb, and that's coming from the girl with the Mary profile pic

i honestly think they should just ditch the whole evil team thing by now. it was getting really stale by the time team flare came around. team skull subverted the concept in an interesting way, but that should have been the end of it. i think we can all agree that team yell was dumb, and that's coming from the girl with the Mary profile pic
I fucking love Team Yell lmao.

I don't think the concept of an evil team is going to go away, but it might start to mature a bit.

I wasn't a massive fan of Team Skull (although I liked Guzma) and even less of a fan of Team Yell, who seemed like they were just trying to recapture what they had with Team Skull. (sort of like how Oleana felt a bit like the second coming of Lusamine) I'd like if for the more goofy "team" they went with something like the bandits from Legends and have a Jessie & James kind of duo/trio.

So, I think if we're going to have an actual evil team, I want them to be more threatening (the "evil" part should mean something, otherwise just call them annoying teams!) and keep the goofy antagonists as more of a duo/trio of characters.

I feel like evil teams have been on a downward slope in terms of quality for a while now, so a part of me feels like we can only go up from Sword/Shield but who knows?

I don't know if they would do something like this since it's still a kids game, but I was thinking it would be cool if they leaned into some cult vibes for an evil team.

Hoping that the version differences don't end with the clothes, I'd be interested in the professor and main antagonist being switched in both versions. If the competing schools theory is to hold water, it'd make for a unique experience that diverges from how Hoenn went about having different evil teams.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom