• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Evil Team Discussion/Speculation

i honestly do hope that the different clothes and version exclusives are the only differences. i don't want to have to play both games to get the full experience. though i guess it could be similar to teams magma and aqua, where they just swap places without any story differences.

i honestly do hope that the different clothes and version exclusives are the only differences. i don't want to have to play both games to get the full experience. though i guess it could be similar to teams magma and aqua, where they just swap places without any story differences.
I feel like just a general culmination of everything would do alot
Version Exclusive Pokemon
Different Box Legend
Different Evil Teams but they both play a similar role
A few of the Gyms are different between games
And different starting outfits/theming (In one game things are orange colored and there's oranges everywhere and in the other the same things are grape colored and grapes are everywhere oranges once were)

And different starting outfits/theming (In one game things are orange colored and there's oranges everywhere and in the other the same things are grape colored and grapes are everywhere oranges once were)
Grapes and oranges grow in quite different conditions, so I don't think this would be as easy as you suggest.

In my opinion, if GameFreak wants to keep having teams/organizations as antagonists, reduce the size of them. Instead of a big organization with multiple levels such as grunts and admins, make it a group of about 5 people. All 5 members would be equal in rank and each one is fought at a particular point in the game.

Another route they can go is to make the matador/bullfighter one of the antagonists of the game. The bullfighting could be portrayed as the evil plan that the villain wants to enact and the pokemon are forced against their will.

Another route they can go is to make the matador/bullfighter one of the antagonists of the game. The bullfighting could be portrayed as the evil plan that the villain wants to enact and the pokemon are forced against their will.
They would never do this. Team Plasma was one thing, that's vague generic animal rights stuff, but what you're proposing would touch on a very live wire real-world political issue.

They would never do this. Team Plasma was one thing, that's vague generic animal rights stuff, but what you're proposing would touch on a very live wire real-world political issue.

That's a fair point. With the issue being controversial there's no way GameFreak or TPC would want to pick a side.

i dont quite know if this is an unpopular opinion or not... but my idea for a new evil team would be to not have one while still having some sort of conflict thats reminiscent of an evil team. like if there was an evil team in the past, but now theyve disbanded, but also the effects theyve had on certain characters and stuff is still present. i do quite like evil teams, but i also do think that gamefreak is starting to lose its grip on writing them. team skull was a nice subversion, and while team yell is effectively harmless, theyre just redundant - unlike team skull, they werent convincing. everyone could see that rose (and oleana, i guess) would be the true villains from miles away. theres no doubt that they could make another good not-evil team like team skull, but like... weve already got team skull. people are just going to figure out who it is if it turns out to be another bait and switch.

so either they just dont really have any sort of active evil team, or (pla spoilers) they have just one or two evil people messing around. like what they did in pla, though not needing a twist, probably.

on the other hand, if they DO make another evil team... id love to see a team rocket two. like, not team rocket coming back Again, just. a team whos evil just because they can. like team rocket. team rocket is very entertaining, i think. everything weve seen about the new games so far (what little we have of course) makes me think it might be sillier than previous entries. or at least more light hearted. so id love to see them do another team rocket. just my two cents.

I want an evil team who is both slightly funny yet very dangerous, more dangerous than previous teams. A group of cultists or a secret order is the perfect setting for this. You may have a group of people who aren't even that bad but seriously deranged still. I guess it's time for a slightly mad villain. Maybe even a well intentioned one but mad. (Lusamine is a bit too selfish for my liking. Where's a grand scheme to change the world? She is not mad and bad enough, she is simply greedy and strange) I really hope we'll get a team with many admins with distinct personalities this time. Also, more guy admins. Why are admins mostly girls? Team Flare admins didn't have any personalities at all. (Of course they compensated it with their leader having a very interesting personality in my opinion)
If I had to choose, I'd choose a group of comical yet dangerous black clad cultists whose leader is a 'prophet' and needs to 'save the world' from some disaster he foretold - and which, as you can guess, he will actually cause himself.

A group of cultists or a secret order is the perfect setting for this.
asking for a group of cultists and still wanting them to be slightly funny is... incredibly distasteful in my eyes, im sorry. cults are terrible, you know. like, way worse than any of us can imagine at times.

id rather keep the theme of cults away from pokemon, thanks. they can barely make an evil CEO right (looking at you rose), i really dont trust game freak with handling such a dark topic as literal cults.

asking for a group of cultists and still wanting them to be slightly funny is... incredibly distasteful in my eyes, im sorry. cults are terrible, you know. like, way worse than any of us can imagine at times.

id rather keep the theme of cults away from pokemon, thanks. they can barely make an evil CEO right (looking at you rose), i really dont trust game freak with handling such a dark topic as literal cults.
Death Eaters in HP is a cult, in a way. Team Plasma is ruled by 'sages' and is heavily implied to be a cult.
'Distasteful' depends on how it's done. As long as they are not referencing any real life cults, there is nothing distasteful about that. If you rule out cults as distasteful why not rule out evil teams as distasteful at all? Some of them are obviously implied to be political parties and political parties are, you know, sometimes are as terrible as literal Nazi party.

To be honest, I would have liked to see this for some change. And maybe to build up an arsenal of Pokemon to prepare a reactionary insurrection against the region and bring back the Generalissimo lol

Last edited:
A thread for discussing the prospective evil team of this new region. What ideas might fit, what are you hoping to see?

Team Yell was a funny gag but I'm hoping to finally have an evil team with some menace, and not have a twist villain unrelated to the "main" team like we've had the last few gens.

I'm not sure what the villain team's real motivations are, but from what I heard from some "Brazilian fanfictioners", the villainous team will be an ancient sailor's creed linked to some Legendary Pokémon that favored the region centuries ago (in the times of great navigation). This team, for a reason I don't remember, wants to find/awaken this mythological Pokémon again, and they believe that the Protagonist is competing with them in the search for this apotheotic being.

However, the protagonist is on the hunt for another legendary Pokémon, a Bull that will be on the cover of the games, which, later, together with the protagonist, will prevent the disaster caused by the encounter of the villainous team with the all-powerful Pokémon.

Last edited:
If there is an evil team, I want it to be conquistador-themed and have that Sagrada Família-inspired building as their base.

I also want them to have a total influence on the region and the League, and all the gym leaders and champion (and elite four if they're exist) are member of the team. Making them more dangerous and harder to take down.

Just, please, no faux villain team rubbish this time. Aether Foundation and Macro Cosmos being the real "villain teams" were both very clunky reveals and I did not care for Lusamine and Rose as antagonists whatsoever. I'd appreciate it if we drop these charades and get back to the promoted and advertised bad guys actually being the true bad guys for once.

If there is an evil team, I want it to be conquistador-themed and have that Sagrada Família-inspired building as their base.

I also want them to have a total influence on the region and the League, and all the gym leaders and champion (and elite four if they're exist) are member of the team. Making them more dangerous and harder to take down.
I wonder if we can also have them hold political power as well, like Persona 5's bad guys, or the yakuza or the mafias. And people are apathetic because of how dangerous, intimidating, and politically influential this team is and opposing them has long been considered not worth whatever threats they're willing to carry out. Or is that going to be too much?

Spooky place to live, then. The new region would look more like Brazil than Spain Lol. Personally, I really liked this idea, but it deserved to be displayed in a game based in southern Italy, not the Iberian peninsula. Just my opinion, anyway.

Just, please, no faux villain team rubbish this time. Aether Foundation and Macro Cosmos being the real "villain teams" were both very clunky reveals and I did not care for Lusamine and Rose as antagonists whatsoever. I'd appreciate it if we drop these charades and get back to the promoted and advertised bad guys actually being the true bad guys for once.

I didn't mind Aether Foundation so much but it wasn't exactly a surprise to learn that Lusamine was up to no good.

Macro Cosmos was an absolute shambles however. Probably the most forgettable "evil team" ever, it never really felt like they had much presence in the story and then suddenly they were important right at the end.

Personally I like the idea of surprise villains, the problem with Pokemon is I don't think they're very good at being subtle about this kind of thing. It's like how it's almost always plainly obvious who the champion is. So I don't really trust Game Freak to be able to really pull off a good shock villain.

Personally I like the idea of surprise villains, the problem with Pokemon is I don't think they're very good at being subtle about this kind of thing. It's like how it's almost always plainly obvious who the champion is. So I don't really trust Game Freak to be able to really pull off a good shock villain.
Yeah. Just because your series is aimed at kids doesn't mean you have to treat your older fans like children...

The formal needed to be shook up. Plots involving Legendary Pokemon and mystic artifacts had SEROUSLY gotten old. Though I'm not sure if they things they've tried to change it up have worked and they need to do better...

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom