• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Evolution during battle?

megalatias365

Reaction score
Doesn't anybody think that evolution should be allowed in the games. They do it all the time in the anime, and that makes battles cooler and better.

While evolution is cool in the anime, game mechanics are often ignored in favour of story or cool-factor. I don't think the anime physics should carry over to the games, just like I don't think the anime should be 100% faithful to the game mechanics.

Evolution (including Mega) should remain an after-action thing in the games, in my opinion.

If it happened mid-battle it'd be called Mega Evolution. OH WAIT WE ALREADY HAVE THAT.

Canonically, evolution is a permanent physical metamorphosis and we can safely assume it takes some measure of time to progress. Logically it would leave a Pokemon vulnerable during the time its body is changing, and that's not something you'd want to undergo in the middle of a potentially life-or-death encounter.

Logically it would leave a Pokemon vulnerable during the time its body is changing, and that's not something you'd want to undergo in the middle of a potentially life-or-death encounter.

IF it did happen, in my opinion, it should leave the pokemon unable to battle for two turns.

But i still think it should stay as an anime exclusive thing.

Canonically, evolution is a permanent physical metamorphosis and we can safely assume it takes some measure of time to progress. Logically it would leave a Pokemon vulnerable during the time its body is changing, and that's not something you'd want to undergo in the middle of a potentially life-or-death encounter.

If you wouldn't want that to happen in a life or death situation, then why does it happen in the middle of battles in the anime

If you wouldn't want that to happen in a life or death situation, then why does it happen in the middle of battles in the anime

The anime has its own rule sets... and generally, the opponent respects the side that is evolving in the anime, letting it happen. (or in evil's case, probably too stunned)

TECHNICALLY, the evolution does take long enough in the anime that the enemy could take advantage of it and seriously hurt the evolving pokemon while it is evolving.

I personally wouldn't want Pokemon to evolve in the middle of battles like they do in the anime. I consider it cheating there, and I'd definitely consider it cheating in the game, so I'd rather they just leave it as is. It makes more sense to me anyway.

Well, the anime and game worlds are two completely different things. Battles in the anime have to remain interesting and flashy, so viewers don't get bored. This focus on action contrasts heavily with the video game universe's focus on strategy. Plus, evolving during battle (outside mega evolution) is absolutely pointless competitively, as the matches played in the VGC are all leveled down to 50.

The anime is notorious for breaking the fundamental rules of Pokemon for the sake of entertainment, and you're already getting exactly what you're asking for by mega-evolving.

I wouldn't mind mid-battle evolution but I feel like Mega-evolution is the closest thing we'll get in the games.

Eh. It'd be nice, but as has been mentioned, rather unnecessary.

I have to agree with a previous poster they have quoted in the anime before as far as I can remember that they are specifically vulnerable or weakened during and initially after evolution due to the amount of energy that has been used in the process.
In the game this part of the mechanic would probably be represented by a cut in HP which if in the middle of battle could be a big issue especially if its already low in the first place.
I think that the current system and game mechanic work perfectly well and have done since R/G so I say if it ain't broke don't fix it

Yeah I'd like it to happen, makes no sense why it happens at the end of the battle.
You can learn moves in the middle of a match, you can mega evolve in the middle of a match, why not an ordinary evolution in the middle of a match?

Yeah I'd like it to happen, makes no sense why it happens at the end of the battle.
You can learn moves in the middle of a match, you can mega evolve in the middle of a match, why not an ordinary evolution in the middle of a match?

Game balance. Game mechanics.

Certain game mechanics don't make sense in the anime and certain anime mechanics don't make sense in the games. Evolving during combat is one such mechanic that make no sense for the games.

Certain game mechanics don't make sense in the anime and certain anime mechanics don't make sense in the games. Evolving during combat is one such mechanic that make no sense for the games.

I meant, doesn't make sense story wise, ie how can this Pokemon that is about to evolve hold it off for so long, what if the battles goes on for ages?

I meant, doesn't make sense story wise, ie how can this Pokemon that is about to evolve hold it off for so long, what if the battles goes on for ages?

Storywise, I agree it doesn't make sense... And that is the reason why the Anime ignores that mechanic.

But for game mechanic wise, and balance wise, it does make sense.

Evolution is far from the only potential concern about what if a battle goes on for hours/days/whatever how long.

Eh it could be cool now and then I guess but nah not needed.

how would it work if an NPC did it then you lose... say a gym leader. It unevovles? or just you can evolve mid battle? unfair on the cpu then!

how would it work if an NPC did it then you lose... say a gym leader. It unevovles? or just you can evolve mid battle? unfair on the cpu then!

Generally if you lose, it's as if that battle never happened. Look at any heavily scripted battle scene, especially those with the bad guys.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom