• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Evolution in Anime

ehh123

Reaction score
The thread is basically how evolution is handled in anime. How it looks, when it is used etc.

However, a scene from the first animated trailer of the 2019 anime got me thinking about one aspect of evolution I never really thought about before: How the Pokemon react to their evolutions.

Now, when a character in fiction has their body been involuntarily changed in a major way, they can react in a variety of ways. Panic, confusion, joy, and plenty of other moods. However, when Pokemon evolve in the anime, they barley acknowledge it most of the time beyond a "Check me out!" pose. It's the trainers who are reacting to their new forms. Now some of this can be due to context because they evolved during a battle or dangerous situation.

To start off this thread, I would like to know if there have been any moments in the anime when a newly evolved Pokemon have to process their new form. I mean things like looking at their new paws or their reflection with expression and posing that says "Is that me?"

First of all, evolution is a natural and common process in Pokemon, so that drastically reduces the effect of surprise. It’s quite similar to "growing up" in other animals. Pokemon probably know they’re supposed to evolve sometime or the other.

Secondly:
involuntarily
The anime has often pointed out that the process isn’t completely involuntary: Bulbasaur and Piplup were able to reject it because they didn’t want to evolve. I personally believe Torracat suppressed its evolution till the end of the battle so it wins as a Torracat against Kukui's Incineroar but I've got no way to prove it so it’s not really an argument, just something I personally feel.
Pokemon probably know when they’re "ready" to evolve and are prepared mentally to an extent.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom