• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Evolution of Pokemon

CrystaI

The Pokemon Observer
Reaction score
This is something that just came up in my mind recently that I feel like wanting to ask everyone.

How do you deal with the concept of "Evolution" of pokemon within fan-fiction? That includes not only normal evolution, but also Forme Changes and Mega Evolution and any other unmentioned evolution. How do you feel about this phenomenon in terms of being a plot device? How do you feel about the evolved pokemon compare to unevolved pokemon? How do you utilize it in your fic? What is your general opinion of "Evolution" in writing?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to talk about this because of the "Evolution of pokemons marked the development progress of trainer" saying I read in some previous thread. What I write in the below is merely my opinions.

This expression by itself is partially technically agreeable, which I'm also consent to during my writing of my current journey fic. However, the timing of when a pokemon shall evolve, is highly situational and conditional which varies according to circumstances of each individual character, where that is not only the trainer character, but also the pokemon character as well.
For example, provided that two characters both had very similar personalities like that of a twin, both possess a same species of pokemon, both trained together where both pokemons are basically equal in experience, nonetheless I don't think the pokemon possessed by the two trainer will evolve at the same time. If it is me, I shall also need to account the so-called 'friendliness' in the gaming terminology of the pokemons towards their owners. But moreover, I need to account the need of plot if these two characters are to be utilize in my fic. Hence it is more of a case-by-case issue.

But the main matter of concern from me is rather, is "Evolution" of handheld pokemon really a definite way to jot the progress of a trainer character?
I understand that in terms of game mechanics, especially the ones evolved by experience, they evolve when they reach a certain level. For the ones evolved by friendliness, they evolve when they love their trainer up to a certain measurable value. But, how can such systematical mechanics translate to fictional writing where no systematical mechanics can be apply?
I see quite many journey fic writers hold the mindset of "Hey my protagonist had made up to the nth gym and obtained nth badges. If his/her pokemons don't evolve at this point, it doesn't reflect my character is getting stronger". Hence making pokemon evolution more like a strength progression checkpoint which occurs simply out of duty, rather than any contribution to the plot. That goes the same to the amount of handheld and catching new pokemons during the journey in many journey fics.

But of course I don't mean pokemon evolution must happen in the manner of contributing to the plot, such as evolve during battle, or evolve right at the time when something happens. Even I am currently working on a journey fic, I also have planned some pokemons held by the two main characters to evolve undramatically and unceremoniously. But because their evolution scene is not important, I rather planned to write their evolution off-screen, only have them mentioned in future chapters.
However, when it is evolution of key pokemon characters, the evolution scene will definitely be dramatic and important to the plot and development of both the trainer and pokemon characters.

There is one saying I specifically preferred, is that "Handheld pokemons reflect personalities and characteristics of the owner trainer". Example, in the Pokemon Special manga, Yellow's pokemons were never evolved in Yellow arc, because she dislike evolution, and said to have canceled evolution continuously until the last battle with Lance. Also because she is not specifically a battler, the pokemons she ever caught on her own is merely Rattata and Caterpie, very common pokemons in the wood (even that is with the help of two veteran trainers), all the remaining ones were given by other peoples. Her team is a perfect representation of her mentality and characteristics. Another example is also in Pokemon Special manga, Cheren in BW possessed Snivy that was never evolved even up to Pokemon League final, Black noticed that and questioned Cheren for that matter, which turns out Cheren's view towards "become stronger" had became something else completely different. The unevolved Snivy is a representation of Cheren's derailment of original goal.

Regarding on the pokemon evolution, like I mentioned previously, because normally I don't use pokemon evolution like some progression checkpoint, so handhelds of one trainer character in my fic is never equally evolved, some may be fully evolved and some is not, all depends on the situation and circumstances of the plot progression, and most importantly the concerned trainer and pokemon characters. It is also not any compulsory responsibility where I must include it in the plot for the sake of showing progression, I include it because the story calls for it. But in case that story runs more logical when pokemon don't evolve, I won't let it evolve. No I won't give it a chapter dictating its gratuitous reason of not wanting to evolve, I just simply don't mention it at all until the right time.

Evolution of pokemon, to me, it marks the moment of development of certain specific characters. But I don't agree that it marks the development progression aka being a strength checkpoint of a trainer, and I don't think it is some obligation that it must happens to every handheld of a trainer. If it occurs on-screen, I will definitely make it to be plot important.

I plan to keep perfect track of levels and experience behind the scenes (i.e. they won't be directly mentioned in the narrative or dialogue, under normal circumstances), so evolution generally will not occur until after the necessary level is reached. It will not, however, necessarily occur at the exact moment that the level is reached, instead happening at some later, more dramatically appropriate point.

Item-, stone- and trade-induced evolutions will be handled exactly as in the games, as will Mega Evolution.

Ported over from other parts of the franchise, however, will be BREAK Evolution (from the Pokémon Trading Card Game) and the Burst technique (from Pokémon RéBURST). The former is treated as a "generic" form of Mega Evolution, evenly distributing 100 extra points across all base stats, and is likened to the Bond Phenomenon (from the anime) in "perfected" form. The latter instead multiplies all base stats by 1.5. Both are influenced by Friendship and Affection, the sum of which influences the Link (from Pokémon Conquest) between trainer and Pokémon. Also taken into account are the Synergy Gauge (from Pokkén Tournament) and IQ level (from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon). Once either transformation is successfully achieved for the first time, it may thenceforth be used at will unless the Link is somehow diminished.

I mainly write PMD style stories, so in my mind, evolution is based on the character's maturity and personal experience rather than any objective, quantifiable measure. I think such a method could also be applied to standard trainer stories.

I liken evolution to a sort of mental growth. The point when a pokémon either learns a significant lesson or faces a difficult challenge and succeeds. In PMD, I'll mix that with maturity, in the sense that as a pokémon naturally grows and matures, it'll evolve, but if exposed to hardship or trial it can cause it to evolve as well. Special evolution methods are added to this mechanic as needed, such as friendship, time of day, evolutionary stones, etc...

Basically, I use it to show a pokémon's personal growth and development as a character. Even in trainer fics, pokémon are much smarter than regular animals, capable of emotion and learning and bonding, so when I feel a pokémon has matured both physically and mentally, I'll use evolution to show it.

Evolution's tricky because I've always gotten the impression that an evolution is meant to be a significant event. But that's not always possible, especially if you have a cast of multiple characters with upwards of fifteen Pokemon between them. You can't show every evolution and have it be some big deal. It's necessary to have some of them be, as you said, "unceremonious". I've done that before, and it's gotten comments like "well, that was kind of underwhelming" or "that was random". It's one of those cases where there's no easy way out.

Mid-battle evolution seems to receive quite some love-and-hate impression within Pokemon fan-fictions. To be fair it is understandable.
When use it rightly, it pushes the tension of battle to another higher level. But if use it wrongly, it will just seems like a cheap gimmick to power-up one's pokemon or creating an unbeatable powerful opponent. That goes the same with temporary evolution like ME (or any other similar in spin-off games). But that line of between "nicely" and "poorly" executed is just very ambiguous, so this plot device must be use with care.

Currently I don't have any plan of using any mid-battle evolution in any of my two working fics. But that is more because of the problem of I also often write in 1st person from pokemon's perspective, I just can't imagine how pokemon can react to such sudden change of one's own physical body and be adapt to it instantly the next second upon acknowledgement. "I knew it all by instinct" is IMO not good enough explanation for me.
Though more of the matter of concern is, I don't see the need to include it in any battle in terms of story plot. One of the fic of mine is trainer journey fic, and working hard in one's own best ability to become stronger is one main theme here. Evolution (permanent or temporary) occurs suddenly right in the middle of battle not only defies such theme, but IMO it seems like it will give a false impression to the reader that this battle is then a sure-win, losing is not the option because it will just be anticlimactic.

All of the evolutions I had planned so far within my fics, are either after training/battle, or at the moment when pokemon characters receive important mental development. Most of them are really unceremonious, but nonetheless dramatic, at least IMO, especially for the latter case. Also just to say, I don't think all pokemon evolution should be a congratulatory event to be pleased and feel blessed. It is possible that an unwanted unintentional evolution of one pokemon leads to derailment of one trainer into the wrong way, at least, that is one story plot I had planned for some future chapter.

This is a tough one ... I get the general impression that evolution is one of those areas where readers tend to have stronger expectations that it will work in a manner which is similar to the games. I feel that there's far more one can do with evolution other than follow the methods and rules of the games, where most pokémon evolve due to battling, at the end of the battle. There's also the related problem that most readers expect a more highly evolved pokémon to be stronger in every way to it's predecessor.

I kind of like the idea of pokémon evolution being triggered by more factors than just how many battles won. I often wonder precisely how pokémon naturally evolve in the wild. Wouldn't it be interesting to explore factors like diet or social ranking in regards to evolution? That perhaps pokémon only naturally evolve to their most powerful forms when their environment could support them?

When it comes down to the strength of the pokémon being indicative of the skill of the trainer, I've never been a fan of that direct correlation. I much prefer the idea that the better trainer is one who gets the most out of the pokémon they have access to, rather than the one that simply has access to pokémon with powerful attacks. Apart from anything else, the latter approach gives an author the temptation to avoid much progression in the trainer's ability. Compare, for example, EP014 with EP059 of the anime. In one, we have a battle won because Ash made the best use of his pokémon's abilities (Albeit after being prompted by Brock); in the other, we have a battle won only because Charizard felt like it, not because its trainer actually did anything significant. The EP014 approach is the one I prefer in fanfic - it allows for more interesting and more intelligent battles that take into account the individual physiology of pokémon species.

But in any case, from a narrative point of view, if you were to try and portray an evolution the same way over just six pokémon you could easily run out of ways to make it interesting or dramatic. There's the incentive to go for evolutions that aren't necessarily dramatic or exciting - or to forgo an evolution altogether

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom