• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Excessive Lag

Badal

What the deuce?
Reaction score
Until a few days ago everything was fine, but since then the amount of lag has increased and severed so much that it takes almost a few minutes to load the forums. No other site is giving me any issues. With the release of B/W coming up soon, I think we should take care of this since activity will only increase hereafter.

Ah so that's what it is then. Thank you. I experienced some of the lag when it recently took me a few minutes for my vm to submit and then when I jammed the submit button, I was about to send the same message to the same person multiple times until I saw it, and then I canceled it and clicked back on my profile.

Took me 5 minutes to load this page...But I guess there is nothing we can do about it.

I'm getting lag of at least 10 seconds to half of a minute. Nothing more thankfully. Was experience it yesterday as well. It is mostly happening, in my experience, from 5pm (GMT + 0). I don't know how long it goes to, as I am usually off for the night before it stops. I get off around midnight-ish.

All other times seem fine.

Can I ask that they please relax the double post rule as sometimes this lag problem causes a double post. I have deleted many so far.

What's causing it? Are there just a lot more people online? And is it gonna get worse? Are we gonna start seeing 503s again? I actually got 502'd yesterday.

We think it's the Wiki. But some people say it's something else and etc.

The staff is discussing it.

The lag didn't just start for me, I've been experiencing it for a like a week now, give or take.

What's causing it? Are there just a lot more people online? And is it gonna get worse? Are we gonna start seeing 503s again? I actually got 502'd yesterday.

I got 504'd today~

I've been 500th, 501nd, and 502nd today. The 502 was the most recent one all when sending vms to people for help.

The server lag is a natural result of the massive upswing in traffic we're seeing in advance of the international release of Black & White versions. Specifically, that traffic is being directed at Bulbapedia. For the record, our load balancer is set to prioritise traffic going to Bulbapedia over any other section of the site, simply because it's the ad revenue from Bulbapedia which allows us to pay for all these servers in the first place. A lot of people don't really appreciate how server intensive a wiki is, but there's a good reason 4 of our 5 servers are effectively dedicated to Bulbapedia specifically even under normal usage.

Closer to the B&W launch, we'll be locking the Bulbapedia database to public edits to ensure the greatest uptime during this launch cycle. It's unlikely as yet that we'll add a new server, but if push comes to shove and we're experiencing unacceptable levels of downtime due to the excessive load, we may.

In the meanwhile, I would suggest that forum users looking to speed things up here go to their user control panel and turn off the display of signatures and/or avatars. You'd be amazed how much of a difference it makes.

My guess is that a little while after B&W are released, everything will go back to normal. For now we'll just have to deal with it. I think Archiac is right. There aren't that much more people on the forum than usual. It's probably the wiki.

Well, it's kind of a relief to know that it's the actual site for me. I thought something was up with my Internet connection (mainly because I've been doing a lot of lurking today).

Just out of curiosity, I stopwatched the loading of Bulbapedia (2.37 sec) and BMGf (7.5 sec). both are unusually slow for my connection, but I can definitely see the effect of having Bulbapedia use more servers, since it loaded almost three times as fast.

It's been lagging for me, but, then again, Bulbagarden's servers have always been relatively slow. I haven't been having double post problems, however. But it takes a while to load and I sometimes get 500-series HTTP errors.

Yeah, the lag is getting ridiculously annoying lately.

I think I'm going to take Archaic's advice and shut off avatars for a while.

In the meanwhile, I would suggest that forum users looking to speed things up here go to their user control panel and turn off the display of signatures and/or avatars. You'd be amazed how much of a difference it makes.

Thanks for the advice! I did this and the site loads very fast. :D

Thanks for the advice! I did this and the site loads very fast. :D

I think it's a coincidence. The lag is completely gone now. Around the same time the lag was its peak today, tomorrow, though, I'm sure it'll be back. There's really not much that can be done though, aside from what Archaic suggested.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom