• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Expectations for 2022

Megumi Hayashibara solo Pokemon song is one of my bucket list fantasies alongside Rocket movie and canonisation of my ship at the end of the series… Which is why I fully expect it never to happen and cannot even remotely entertain that idea :p

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if the next OP isn’t a Satoshi/Go version of 123. Let’s see.

I don't have high hopes honestly. We've gone two years and this series has taught me to keep my expectations low.

Also we're LOOOOOOONG overdue for a new opening. How many versions of 1 2 3 are we even gonna get?

This what i said in my first posts here in the thread my friend ^^.

Only maybe a new movie will appear as pokemon didn't provide new movie in 2021. Also, maybw they will finish the pokemon championshop, let the entire gym leaders in both Shield and Sword appeared.

want to hear new op or ending from rica matsumoto. She did first op in sun moon and then dissapeared from pokemon ops and ending.

Also looking for dawn new pokemon

My expectations/hopes for 2022:
  • More former companions/rivals to appear (hopefully that interview isn't giving me false hope!)
  • Finally getting more dubbed episodes on Netflix...
  • The next movie (I've quite enjoyed the AU films and actively look forward to the films again because of it)
And I guess this one could be more wishful thinking than anything else:
  • Journeys concluding
In all honesty, the series has grown on me a little more over time, but overall, I'm still getting pretty bored with it. It's just frustrating that there continues to be so many squandered opportunities with this particular series. At this point, I'm pretty much ready to move on Journeys. I won't be mad if this doesn't end up happening, but if it did, I think I'd end up being relieved.

I don't expect much, but I may as well make a reasonable wishlist:

• Two completely new openings, or at least one filled with spoilers and references to the PWC masters cup.
  • An ending that doesn't suck that doesn't involve kids singing, stock art or Masuda's production (sorry man, go back to the games).
  • Ash beating at least 1 member of the Elite Four (not from Alola) before the Masters Eight.
  • The Masters Eight battles not being less than 3vs3. And please, let Ash use reserves, even if it's just the popular ones, seeing so many Pokemon rotting at the lab for 10 years because of inconsistent writing breaks my heart.
  • Do something with Suicune. Ideally it should be released, but since that's not happening at least make the controversy worth it by Goh using it against a treat or something like that.
  • Don't make Gary go away after a cameo like last time, give him a clear path to go after his role in Project Mew is concluded. And give him a new Pokemon.
  • Resolve Eevee's mystery in a satisfying way. We do not need another Sandy.
  • Resolve Lillie's quest for his father, it's about time.
  • If travelling companions are going to come back at least give them new clothes.
  • SNOM AND FROSMOTH!

My expectations are fairly low but I'll be happy if we get at least 3 of these:

• More Dracovish screentime
  • ANY type of new capture for Jessie. SWSH introduced way too many fun Pokemon for her to stay with solely Wobbuffet the entire series
  • A true showdown between Ash and Giovanni in the Master Class
  • More episodes dedicated to solely one protagonist like JN032
  • More frequent appearances of the TRio
  • Any type of good win for Sirfetch'd...
  • A completely original opening.

My Pokémon main TV anime expectations for 2022 are that:
  1. All Ash's old Pokémon at Professor Oak's Laboratory and in training, that didn't not physically appear in Advice for Goh!, but will return in the future Journeys episode include, Squirtle (along with the rest of the Squirtle Squad), Kingler, Primeape, Noctowl, Swellow, Sceptile, Torkoal, Glalie, Staraptor, Torterra, Gliscor, Gible, Unfezant, Snivy, Scraggy, Leavanny, Palpitoad and Boldore.
  2. Other new voice actors will replace the some of the formerly available original Japanese-language voice actors' voice roles as some of Ash's old Pokémon at Professor Oak's Laboratory and in training, that's all.

Last edited:
This'll probs be Journeys' last year. So we'll see the endgames of Ash, Goh and Chloe. Ash might have more 1-2 matches in hyper class (3v3s again, with Gengar and Dragonite as aces maybe). Then master class, where he might face 3 opponents (Cynthia, Raihan, Leon) but I don't think it's all gonna be 6v6s rn. Goh will finish up on trial missions (maybe 1 more basic one) then get accepted as a chaser, where they have an episode finding Mew and resolving his storyline (maybe another 2-parter here). Chloe still needs to meet Leafeon, Sylveon and I guess Jolteon and Flareon as well (but they skipped past those two so idk). So that'll be 1 episode each and she'll likely get her final 'closing' episode which just focuses on her and Eevee basically making sense of everything.

Then there's the rest of the companion and character returns. We'll probs get Brock/Misty, May/Max, Serena/Clemont/Bonnie and maybe Cilan (in person) for 1 episode each. Like episodes 37 and 65. giving us all the continuity there. For rivals I'm guessing Paul, Sawyer and Alain. They could do Ritche/Morrison/Cameron if they wanted but I doubt it, maybe just a quick mention. Paul might not appear since he's also got a mention, but he's really popular. They also need to wrap up on the Mohn arc and surely give Ash an opportunity to catch up with Lillie/Gladion.

^That's all the obvious stuff but there's gonna be smaller stuff+fillers in there too. Biggest thing I'll wanna see is Ash's team getting more focus. But that's bound to happen as he progresses anyway.

In terms of specific Pokémon?

Here are my expectations:

Pikachu - One of three of Ash's Pokémon in the tournament to get a win. Actually gets to appear in fillers, unlike the rest of Ash's team.
Dragonite - One of three of Ash's Pokémon in the tournament to get a win.
Gengar - Jobber because its DMax form is a giant immobile tube.
Sirfetch'd - Jobber because the writers don't know what to do with it and its rebellious personality was more interesting.
Lucario - One of three of Ash's Pokémon in the tournament to get a win.
Dracovish - Jobber (in the tournament only) because it can't evolve, Mega Evolve or DMax so it ends up getting 0 development episodes meaning none of the writers get a chance to like it.

Cinderace - Barely appears.
Inteleon - Barely appears.
Grookey - Doesn't evolve or learn any moves.
The rest of Goh's Pokémon - Either don't appear or get a brief cameo.

Eevee - Is never revealed to be a partner Eevee with higher BST than other Eevee.

Morpeko - Appears twice in the year and then the writers forget it even exists. The next series starts with everyone acting like Morpeko wasn't a thing to being with.
Gatcha - Appears 10 times in the year.
Wobbuffet and Meowth - Only TR Pokémon to appear every/most episode(s) Jessie and James do.

I'd like to see Brock again or some reference to May's journey being a coordinator.

Arbok/Wheezing reuniting with Jessie/James/Meowth or giving babies to their trainers.

James getting Cacnea back. That was one of his best pokemon.

Honestly, I'd love to see a new protagnist. Not Go, I don't like him nor developed an attachment to him or Journeys, and I'd like to see Ash move on. He won the Alola League & the Orange League, there's really no reason for him to continue on his journey in my opinion. Maybe age Ash up to an adult like he should be. To me, Go seems like Ash version 2.0.

AJ. We haven't seen him since that battle back in Indigo League. I'd be interested to see how he fared and if his Sandshrew evolved into Sandslash.

I would prefer the end of Journeys and go back to the drawing/animation of say Sinnoh or Unova. In those, Ash at least looked more mature, then in sun and moon Ash became childlike in the animation and design. I had a difficult time getting into S&M due to that.

More regional forms and mega evolutions. I think that's a thing most pokemon fans from the old times (90s) want and wish had stuck around. To me, mega evolutions are more interesting than the Z-moves introduced in Sun and Moon and as for Gigantamax...I would prefer that never existed. Same with Dynamax.

A new region with new pokemon. You know like Unova and...was it Hoenn or Sinnoh...that had all new pokemon compared to different regions? I'd love to see a new region like that with new pokemon we've never seen before. Maybe an aged Ash mentoring new trainers in either Kanto, the orange islands or alola (since he's champion of both Alola and Orange Islands). To me, that means his journey is done and his job is to keep his title and remain in one of those regions, doing his job. I'd gladly watch Pokemon again if we got a new reason region with a new protagonist who actually aged...maybe come from a new region or started in one of the older regions. A trainer starting out from Johto would be interesting or even the new region with new comrades and a new villain team. Cause if Ash leaves Pokemon, then there's no reason for TR.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom