• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Experiences with hacked mons

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Hello Bulbaforums!
In this thread I want to talk about hacked shinies. I was recently doing some suprise trades in scarlet and violet for sh**s and giggles, when I started getting shinies. Between today and yesterday, I have gotten 6 shinies total. 3 are shiny level 1 charmander, which seem legit enough but I decided to trade away just to be safe. The other 3 were clearly hacked. You know the ones. Luxury balls, shiny, perfect stats, nicknamed a certain website. One was a greninja, which yeah is a desired shiny, but the other two were a random ass dragonite and delibird. Not even that good of shinies. Those three I released.
Anyway, I wanted to hear hacked pokemon encounters, thoughts, and what you should do if you encounter one. Have at it!

Back in 2014, I got a Chansey on a Wonder Trade on my Y file. I can't confirm if it was hacked or not, but soon after using it my game started to become more and more unplayable. I released it as it was the most logical scapegoat but the changes persisted.:cry:

Fast foward to Shield, I got a Shiny Tyranitar which was like level 30 so it was obviously hacked. I walked with it for a while but eventually I decided the best option was going to be releasing it.

Same game, I got like 2 Shiny Regieleki through Wonder Trade too. I should have released them but I wanted to do the Regigigas raid and I had chosen Regidrago and didn't want to play through another file again, so I kept them and so far I haven't seen any consequences.

I live and breathe hacked Pokémon but the only major consequence I've gotten from it was when I caught a glitch mon or something in Pokémon White. I made sure I released it. I can't remember many other details specifically because this was over 11 years ago. My Pokémon White PC got destroyed not long after catching that glitch mon. At first, I could hardly access any boxes without the game crashing, but as time moved on, I was able to access more and more boxes until there was only one specific box I'd crash on, Box 24. The glitch Pokémon was added with an Action Replay.

Sometime in mid 2012 one of my closest friends at the time came across two particular websites. One was known as pokecheck.org. The other was known as pokegts.us. Both of these sites are no longer accessible. pokecheck.org was a complete bank where people could send in any Pokémon they had through the GTS into the website for many other players to copy and use in their games. It was not meant for hacked Pokémon but some of those made it through anyway. The other site my friend discovered was pokegts.us. This site that was my holy grail at the time. It allowed anyone who accessed it to create whatever existing Pokémon they wanted and give them any move, any ability, and unlimited EVs! They could be be set for any level between 1-100 and were able to be shiny by choice. This was reminiscent of the Pokémon Showdown Pure Hackmons teambuilder, but the difference was, instead of storing the Pokémon in teams with internet cookies, they were simply sent into your game's GTS when you were done. It was like the Pokémon Showdown teambuilder, except instead of uploading your team to a pokepaste, you uploaded it to your Pokémon Black and White cartridge. All you needed was your internet connected to the pokegts.us DNS server. No other external device required. It was as magical as it sounds. I started creating lots of hacked Pokémon and then giving them to my other friends. Next thing you know I was playing Pure Hackmons on Pokémon Black and White cartridges! This became my new favorite form of Pokémon battling. I had everything in my arsenal to make these matches truly feel meaningful.

I still semi-regularly hack Pokémon, but I have not distributed or battled with non-legal Pokémon with someone else on cart since 2012. I primarily just use hacked Pokémon to create boss fights on the Vs. Recorder. (Ex: The Hoopa Dome Encounters (ORAS run) Updated: 5/7/23). Sometimes I also just double-check old mechanics. Aside from that I receive genned Pokémon all the time from Wonder Trade and usually just keep them. I rarely distribute genned legal Pokémon elsewhere but I do sometimes tend to use them in online matches (virtually everyone in Gen 6-7 online does at this point).

I have way too many other encounters with hacked Pokémon. Heck, I run the Pure Hackmons metagame on Pokémon Showdown and Smogon! Yes... I was directly responsible for shutting down Gen 8 Pure Hackmons for what Neutralizing Gas and Eternamax have done to it. It was brought back later on due to BDSP not being much if any better, alongside some demand after BDSP failed.

My latest big experience with hacked Pokémon was learning I could fully transfer a Protean Mega Mewtwo Y through Pokémon Bank. Pokémon Bank ACCEPTS this and lets the Protean Mega Mewtwo Y move to Gen 6 and 7 games. When I transferred the Mega Mewtwo Y from Omega Ruby to Alpha Sapphire, the Protean was kept, but when I transferred to Gen 7, the Protean changed to Insomnia.

Last edited:
I remember near the start of ... 6th gen? Some details may be incorrect, but I remember receiving a Zorua in one trade and being so paranoid about the risk of hacked Pokemon that after breeding a Zorua egg for my own use I released the parent (when I could have just traded it off again).

I refuse to take the chances and automatically release all hacked Pokémon I get from the Surprise Trades in both Galar and Paldea. I still choose to keep the held items, however (especially the Apricorn and Dream Balls). And like with @Nicolas721 earlier, I used one of the illegit Regis to capture Regigigas in the Crown Tundra.

It seems like 1/5 trades in SwSh and 1/20 trades in SV get you a hacked result, which sucks for me given all the Spritzee/Swirlix (from the recent Glittering Garden event in GO) I'm trading off end up heading into illegit accounts and deleted, and the items used to make Sachets/Whipped Dreams are therefore wasted.

I got a probably illegal shiny Lechonk in Scarletbut I’m not sure. I already released it so there’s no real point in checking to see if it was legit. lol. But it’s fine as there are plenty more shinies. I remember CandiEvie getting one too through surprise trade so I’m a little suspicious.

I’ve found quite a few “website” illegal shinies of mostly starter Pokémon in SV. Now that I think of it, it’s kind of funny those website sell you hacked shinies and also give them to you for free. I know it’s all a scheme but just an interesting thought.

I did get a shiny illegal cap Pikachu that said its country was China. I held onto it for quite a while until I realized it was an illegal Pokémon.

I only did major online trading for Gen 7, one of the first mons I managed to get was a Shiny Adamant nature 6IV Ditto, really doubt that was a legit, but it sure was useful for breeding so I reluctantly kept it. Also think I might have got a Shiny Chansey that I am not that sure about.

But I mostly avoided those and would not use one for online battles just to be safe.

Hello Bulbaforums!
In this thread I want to talk about hacked shinies. I was recently doing some suprise trades in scarlet and violet for sh**s and giggles, when I started getting shinies.

If you got any shiny from a trade, there is a 99% chance that the Pokémon is not legit. If you got any Pokémon from a trade, there is at least a 1% chance that it is illegitimate. In short, don't trade online, or delete all Pokémon obtained by this method.

However, even if you don't care about illegitimate Pokémon, avoid using them in championships and online battles. It appears that the Pokémon Company recently updated the anti-hack checker and some pro players have been disqualified/banned for this.

Last edited:
If you got any shiny from a trade, there is a 99% chance that the Pokémon is not legit. If you got any Pokémon from a trade, there is at least a 1% chance that it is illegitimate. In short, don't trade online, or delete all Pokémon obtained by this method.

However, even if you don't care about illegitimate Pokémon, avoid using them in championships and online battles. It appears that Nintendo recently updated the anti-hack checker and some pro players have been disqualified/banned for this.
Thanks for the advice. I was mostly trying to finish the dex, as sandy shocks took about 3 years.

a while back (my first time playing sword and shield) i didn’t know much about pokemon yet. i had a gmax melmetal from pokemon home and it wouldn’t listen to me since i didn’t have any gym badges. i thought it was just a bad pokemon or something and traded it for a regigigas (which i later learned was hacked from the suspicious link it was named and got rid of it)

a while back (my first time playing sword and shield) i didn’t know much about pokemon yet. i had a gmax melmetal from pokemon home and it wouldn’t listen to me since i didn’t have any gym badges. i thought it was just a bad pokemon or something and traded it for a regigigas (which i later learned was hacked from the suspicious link it was named and got rid of it)
edit: the melmetal was from pokemon home since i had it linked pokemon go (i forgot to put that lol)

ive received a couple hacked shinies with dubious website names in moon and shield, and i also saw them back when BW was in its heyday. i wound up always leaving them in my box and never experienced any unusual effects, but ive also never done online battles. i could never and still cant understand why someone would pay for somebody else to generate these, even if it was a couple bucks.
The other was known as pokegts.us.
i remember playing around with this site myself when i was younger! and i think maybe a predecessor/alternative for when HGSS was going. i never hacked in perfect shiny mons or anything, but i DID reanimate a long-lost shiny crobat, one of my first shinies, that i'd found as a zubat and loved dearly on a previous HG cartridge (which id accidentally left behind on a school trip :'( and to this day has been the only game i ever encountered pokerus naturally D'x) i even kept it "honest" and gave it believable stats lmao i did put pokerus back on it tho d:

edit: now that i think about it, i should still have this particular HG cartridge which would mean this hacked shiny purposefully-mid crobat still exists somewhere in my house :hmm:

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom