• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Explain Your Avatar

The pose and imagery of Hatenna bouncing on a Poke-Ball references Marx, a notable character in the Kirby mythos. The usertitle and the music link embedded in the signature picture are also allusions to this specific character: the former not only derives from a certain Kirby meme, but there's a YouTube parody video with the same near-verbatim name that features Marx in commemoration to him being playable in Kirby: Star Allies; whereas Milky Way Wishes was the sub-game within Kirby Super Star that Marx debuted from.

Last edited:
Ayato Kirishima from Tokyo Ghoul, my favorite character in the series; specific image is from the manga obviously. Haven't themed him here before so I decided why not, re-read the manga a while back and I've always liked his smug look shown in the panel and thought it'd be cool to use it as an avvie.

I asked for this specific avatar to be made based on my mood one day, sometimes ideas for art just pop into my head and I can't pass them up.

I basically wanted my Pikachu to be lying in the grassy forest of Kanto.

Mai is a boss character encountered in Kaikidan
Bizarre Romantic Story
~ Mystic Square, the 5th game of the Touhou Project and the final installment to be made for PC-98 computers; as the series had long transitioned into Windows systems and essentially had a reboot in terms of continuity, characterization, and world setting.

The character herself is a witch dressed in light-pink (though fanart such as the avatar and the sprite interpret it as white instead) who wields ice magic and has a pair of white wings on her back. Mai is in fact one half of a witch duo residing in Makai (Demon World); her accomplice is a fire-manipulating witch clad in black ironically named "Yuki." Other than her ice-affinity, what distinguishes Mai from Yuki in terms of magic is that her attacks often utilize laser beams. She's als o the quiet one of the two, saying nary a single word in most introductory scenarios.

The main gimmick of their boss battle is that once one of the two witches gets defeated; the background music changes to that of a song associated with the surviving sorceress and she attacks at full power. The demeanors that either witch adopts is highly different: Yuki becomes tearfully infuriated and tries to avenge Mai; on the other hand, if Mai survives, her quiet disposition is dropped and she, with a smug expression, dismisses her late partner as a hindrance and claims that she could fight at full power now. In one scenario, she even refers to Yuki as "dead weight." This perfidious personality is even reflected in her battle song's title: Treacherous Maiden ~ Judas Kiss.

Mai's elemental abilities and her 'traitorous' personality is a homage to the famous three-part poem Divine Comedy. She specifically represents the ninth and lowest circle of Hell: the frozen, four-segmented river named Cocytus. Cocytus is a torturous place reserved for betrayers; who are either submerged into ice or suffer eternal agony from being endlessly chewed upon by Satan himself.

Apparently, Google AI picks up the signature's source significantly better than the avatar; probably cuz I actually Photoshopped the latter to remove a white background.

Back
Top Bottom