• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Exploit! — Tokyo's Journey

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I have been writing a Pokémon fan fiction in the past couple of years. I was going forward slowly due to my busy routine and lack of inspiration at times. It was 70+ chapters completed and about 20 chapters were left to finish the whole Kanto arc. But I felt that I could have written something more passionately and it could satisfy me more than what it was. Although the decision was not easy, I deleted them all and decided to start over again, except I was mentally too tired to do so at the time.

After a little over one year of nothing to be written, I decided to begin with a Kanto journey last month. Therefore, I have written the first two chapters. I would be happy to share the written chapters here, but I am writing them in my native language for better expressions, so you would not understand. But I would be glad to get feedbacks (if anyone would ever be interested), so I was thinking of ways to somehow have forummers be inclusive.

Translating them? — time consuming
Translating them with online engines? —never the same as its original

Therefore, the last idea I had to come up with is, not explicitly sharing the chapters here, but using this thread more like how Bulbapedia treats weekly Pokémon episodes. I would be happy to give you guys a synopsis with the events of the plot in the chapter, then give some trivial facts that are worth noting. Basically you guys could be following it with the writer's notes and such, that is if you would be interested. I am well aware that it would not quite be the best option for the users who visit this section, but that is also the best I can genuinely offer, so thanks a lot if you decide to bear with me!

banner-exploit.png

CONTENT WARNING | Teen
moderate violence ⦁ potentially abuse of pokémon/people​

The Pokémon universe has always been a fascinating world to me - it encapsules a lot of creatures with unique skills, and each one of them has a great value of mystery to be solved. The Pokémon world, in my imagination, has always been this dangerous world where you have to be either an adventurist and curious to understand the nature of its wilderness, or just play it safe and study to be someone useful to the society. Those who fail to catch up with either experience or knowledge, have rather a calm and easy life where they run their own businesses and be happy with their families and beloved ones.

This story is about a high schooler, who studies science and has no business with Pokémon, until some day he realizes that he is tired of this little old town of Pallet. He wants to explore and discover the world of Pokémon, although he is scared of the reactions he may get from his mother. He never found the right thing to trigger his courage and hit the road, that is until some day mysterious things start happening in Viridian Forest, which is located right next to Pallet Town! This will be his very first step to encounter the dangers of Pokémon in the wild life, and it will be the key point to leave his comfortable, boring routine life behind to understand the Pokémon and help save his beloved region of Kanto!

I want to pretend this story was written the same time as the original games, Pokémon Red & Green were released in Japan, so to say back in early 1996, therefore there are only known 151 Pokémon in this story's Kanto arc. If you read my following posts, you will see that the characters that are originated from the original games have their Japanese names. It is only because Kanto was inspired by a real life Japanese region. If the story took place in Kalos, I would have used the French names of each character. That being said, Pokémon are considered universal, so they have common names all around the world - for easy understandability, their international names are used.

Further details regarding the characters and the first two chapters will be added soon.

• Staff
ARC01.png

27 Feb 96 - 02 Apr 96
(Real Time Release: 12 Mar 23 - ...)

CHAPTERS

CHAPTER 1
An Ordinary Day
27 FEB 96

CHAPTER 2

The Sunset
05 MAR 96

CHAPTER 3

Tokyo's Commands
12 MAR 96

CHAPTER 4

Undecided Steps
19 MAR 96

CHAPTER 5
26 MAR 96

CHAPTER 6
02 APR 96

CHARACTERS

TOKYO.png

Tokyo Akamidori the protagonist
age 16 ⦁ from Pallet Town of Kanto ⦁ debuts in chapter 1

PERSONALITY
Tokyo starts off as a depressed boy who is very successful in his school but he has completely different desires to achieve in life. These desires require a brave heart and courage, but he lacks those things when he is alone, so he always needs someone to push him forward. He is not familiar with the Pokémon species in general and only knows those who live in Pallet Town because he never left there and never paid attention on the Pokémon themselves. On his journey, he is bound to discover Pokémon and what they are all about.

APPEARANCE
He is loosely based on the game character Red although he is older. He has black hair and brown eyes. He is slim.
He wears a red jacket, black shirt underneath, a blue jean and red white flexible shoes proper for running.

TRIVIA
Tokyo is a Japan-related location name. Akamidori is the combination of Japanese words for red (aka) and green (midori) referring to the original games.
The only Pokémon Tokyo explicitly dislikes is his mom's Bellsprout which she keeps in a flower pot in their house. Tokyo always feels like it constantly stares at people in an uncomfortable way and judges everything they do. Also Tokyo hates the scent of the acid that comes out of Bellsprout's mouth, which it cannot control. He finds it amusing that his mother cleans it every day.

kimbu.png

Yokosaya Okido the rival
age 16 ⦁ from Pallet Town of Kanto ⦁ debuts in chapter 2

PERSONALITY
Yokosaya has a bitter langauge when he speaks to people, especially to those he dislikes. He is the grandson of Dr. Okido, one of the most famous scientists in the world. He is stubborn and headstrong especially towards his grandfather. His grandfather wants him to follow his step and become a successful Pokémon researcher, but he is inspired by someone else and wants to become a Pokémon trainer. Therefore he challenges the gym leaders to become the strongest one in Kanto.

APPEARANCE
He is loosely based on the rival character from the games although he is older. He has long, brown hairs.
He wears a purple shirt.

TRIVIA
Yokosaya is a combination of three Japanese city names, Yokohama, Osaka and Nagoya (in total has almost the same population as Tokyo).

profoak.png

Dr. Okido the scientist
age 55 ⦁ from Pallet Town of Kanto

PERSONALITY
Dr. Okido is a respected scientist known from all around the world. He has all the answers regarding the Pokémon behavior. When mysterious and dangerous incidents occured in Viridian Forest, he was the first person to be asked to investigate the mystery. He is a very straight-forward man when he talks to other people and often gets lost in his own thoughts.

APPEARANCE
He is strongly based on the game character Professor Oak from the games.

TRIVIA
N/A

Clara the assistant
age 28 ⦁ from an unknown region ⦁ debuts in chapter 1

PERSONALITY
Clara is a very energetic girl. She is often excited about things and giggles all the time. Her excitement inspires Tokyo to be braver. She is clumsy and easy to be distracted which puts her in trouble most of the time. She is rarely offended by people around her even though she is not always treated the best. She speaks with a different accent from the north, so she is known to not be from Kanto, although her origins remain unknown. She states that she has come to Kanto to work for Dr. Okido and learn more about the Pokémon behavior. She accompanies Tokyo during his visit in Viridian Forest and encourages him to overcome his fears.

APPEARANCE
She has pink hair and green eyes.
She constantly wears a white lab coat to emphasize on the fact that she is a scientist.

TRIVIA
She is based on the Swedish singer Clara Klingenström, hence why she has pink hair and different origins.

Ms. Akamidori the mother
from Pallet Town of Kanto ⦁ debuts in chapter 1

PERSONALITY
Ms. Akamidori is a soft-hearted mother who wants the best for her son, so she does her best to push him towards the best of what he can do, in her standards. She is proud of her son's academic achievements and expects him to achieve great things. That attitude pushes Tokyo away from actually talking to her about his dreams and wishes.

APPEARANCE
N/A

TRIVIA
She is based on the main character's mother in the main games.

Last edited:
I’m very pleased with what I’ve seen so far. Clara the assistant is a very captivating original character. You have so much detail in here with the characters traits along with when exactly each chapter takes place.

Red is an interesting character and you gave this outline a bit more personality with Red disliking his mom’s Bellsprout. I also wonder who inspired Blue to become a Pokémon Trainer. Could it have been Giovanni or Agatha?

I enjoy reading something in this format and just seeing people’s ideas. I do enjoy blabbing my ideas out in front of other people to have a fun conversation. Anyways, keep going with this as this seems like it’s going to be an interesting read-through!

• Staff
Chapter 01
An Ordinary Day
27 Feb 96

Chapter code: RG001
Point of view: Tokyo Akamidori
In book format: 17 pages with 2891 words

Unsatisfied with his life, Tokyo is stuck in Pallet Town and struggling with the unhappiness and depression that comes with following a routine life. Meanwhile, one evening on the television news bulletin, he learns that some interesting events are taking place in the Viridian Forest. According to the news release, some Pokémon in the forest have grown to three times the average size of their species and are attacking their surroundings aimlessly. A team of researchers works in partnership with the police to solve the mystery here. Knowing that the Viridian Forest is very close to Pallet Town, Tokyo has secretly prepares that night and decides to leave his home temporarily to understand this mystery in the forest.

As he is getting ready and about to leave the house, Bellsprout, which his mother nurtured with interest, catches Tokyo's attention. It is watching Tokyo from the flower pot it always stands in. Tokyo has never liked Bellsprout, he thought. It always gives Tokyo a feeling of criticizing everything people do by giving people blank stares from inside the flower pot. Acid would pour nonstop from its mouth, and it gives off a foul odor. Tokyo always has hated the odor. It really surprises him that his mother cleans it with care every day.

When he leaves Pallet Town and reaches the entrance of Viridian Forest, he sees a police officer taking care of his injured Golbat in Viridian Forest. The fact that Golbat's entire body was in scars and it is in pain affects Tokyo very much. Thereupon, he unexpectedly feels afraid to enter the Viridian Forest and returns home crying.

He feels sick the next day because of the unhappiness he experienced. He feels disappointed in himself. Looking out the window, he sees a group of Spearow flying towards Viridian Forest, while noticing a facility-like building. This is where the research team in Viridian Forest works.After making up his mind, Tokyo decides to visit there.

When he gets there, he is greeted by an interesting looking girl with different origins. The girl complains about how carefree and quiet the people in Pallet Town are. She criticizes this by arguing that although there are people from all over the world coming to the Viridian Forest to investigate the anomaly going on there, the people of Pallet Town are so indifferent to everything happening around them. Encouraged by this, Tokyo says that he wants to go to the forest, too. Impressed by what he says, the girl introduces herself as Clara and decides to set off with Tokyo by preparing a fake confirmation report for themselves. But before they leave, she tells Tokyo that he has to make one important decision before going on a journey.

Chapter 02
The Sunset
05 Mar 96

Chapter code: RG002
In book format: 14 pages with 2251 words

Clara takes Tokyo into one of the rooms in the lab to choose his first Pokémon. She shows the three Poké balls in the middle of the room and says that he could get one of the Pokémon in them. Tokyo asks if he can see the Pokémon inside the balls before making the decision. Clara says that would be how it works anyway. However immediately after, voices coming from outside distracts Clara. When she listens to the outside and finds out that the research team in the forest has discovered something new, she rushes Tokyo's decision and grabs one of the PokéBalls randomly, and leaves the lab with Tokyo.

Clara gets in a jeep and drives it towards Viridian Forest on the dirt roads with Tokyo. Meanwhile, when Tokyo looks at the attached note on the Poké Ball Clara had chosen for him, he learns that the Pokémon's name is Charmander and its type is fire. However, Tokyo does not quite recall which species Charmander is, as it isn't one of the Pokémon he knows and sees all the time in Pallet Town.

When they reach Viridian Forest, Clara leaves her jeep on the side of the road and begins to wait. Clara says that even though they have the fake entrance cards that she printed, they could enter the forest more safely in the dark after the sunset. Meanwhile, he realizes that Tokyo does not know what kind of Pokémon Charmander is, and they get out of the vehicle and go out to a large area with Clara's intention of introducing the two to each other. Just as Tokyo is about to summon the Pokémon out, voices come from the area where the police officers and research team are at the edge of the forest. Distracted, the duo approach the campsite to see what is going on. There, they see three crew members who were attacked in the forest being carried away with injuries.

Up to that point, everyone has seen and experienced that the Pokémon bigger than their average sizes would attack everything that moves around them without having any sing of consciousness. But this time, the team is attacked while the two groups of Pokémon are in a war, and they work as a team to attack the people instead. Although Tokyo feels a little more frightened by what he has heard, Clara's desire to enter the forest and examine the surroundings increased even more. This reaction of her gives Tokyo the courage he needs.

Clara holds Tokyo by his arm and starts running around the trees. Clara sees a young man walking around the trees. This is the grandson of Dr. Okido, who leads the research team, Yokosaya. Clara mocks with him by saying that Dr. Okido forbade him from entering the forest. Yokosaya, with a bitter attitude, says that he did the same thing for Clara, as well. Not caring about what he says, Clara invites Yokosaya to join them in the forest as well. Yokosaya humiliates both Clara and Tokyo, whom he sees for the first time, and claims that he would have higher chances of survival in the forest on his own than with them. To Clara's surprise, she asks how Yokosaya would survive in the forest. Yokosaya ignoring her completely starts to walk away. Then it occurs to Clara. She knows that Yokosaya took some of Dr. Okido's strongest Pokémon with him. Clara says that they would never listen to him in the forest because they are only loyal to Dr. Okido. Then she invites Yokosaya do join them again. Yokosaya says that Clara is an incompetent scientist and lacks the skills that require to be a scientist. Clara feels very offended by his claims. Yokosaya asks them to leave him alone and walks away. Clara, because she was hurt by his bitter claims, does not say anything else. She and Tokyo wait until the sunset in silence. During that time Tokyo questions himself whether Clara is a trustworthy companion in the forest to survive with, or if he should reconsider his decision of entering the forest with her.

When the sunset begins, Clara stands up with her usual cheerful voice and face, and asks whether Tokyo is ready to enter the forest, which Tokyo replies yes.

• Staff
Chapter 03
Tokyo's Commands
12 March 96

Chapter code: RG003
In book format: 19 pages with 3106 words

Tokyo and Clara arrive at the police officers' campsite to enter Viridian Forest. Clara demands entry by showing the police officer their fake access cards. In the meantime, she constantly checks on the area. If someone from the research team sees her, they would expose Clara and she would never be able to enter the forest again. So she has to get the police officer to let her pass as quickly as possible. The police officer becomes suspicious when it says Tokyo is 18 years old on his card. Tokyo is unaware that his age is overwritten. When the police officer asks Tokyo his age, Clara interrupts without giving Tokyo a chance to speak, saying that he is 18 years old and this is often questioned everywhere. Tokyo confirms this by deepening his voice, but his imitation is too contrived. The police officer's suspicions do not subside, so he consults the other two policemen there. After a short conversation between them, the police officer gives permission to Clara and Tokyo eventually.

Viridian Forest is a very dark and cold place. The trees are thick and very tall, so almost no light from outside is reflected inside, making the environment always dark. It is much colder than outside because the sun rays do not enter. As they move through the forest, Clara emphasizes that she is cold and tells Tokyo to call his Charmander out to help them warm up. Tokyo quickly changes the subject as he is not yet ready to face Charmander. He holds a light on a tiny Pokémon walking on the ground. The Pokémon moves fast in fear, looking for a safe place. Clara tells him that this Pokémon is a Weedle. When Tokyo decides to pick it up and lift it up a tree to help it, Clara tells him to stop with a sudden reaction. When Tokyo, who had gotten so close to Weedle and stretched out his arm, turned to Clara in surprise, Weedle stings Tokyo with a needle on its head and begins to poison him.

Clara hurries to say that they have to return immediately, but Tokyo refuses to return. After changing his mind so many times, giving up so quickly before getting anywhere far into the forest makes him feel like something is wrong. He then firmly turns down Clara's insistence on returning and says he can handle it until they're done. Thereupon, Clara says she can find jewelweed extract in the forest and make Tokyo drink it, and then it will make Tokyo last for another 48 hours without any serious damage. He gives Tokyo a thin book with information about the Pokémon that can be found in Viridian Forest, makes him sit under a tree and tells him to wait for her and she'll be right back. Although Tokyo tells Clara to wait, Clara quickly runs away.

While Tokyo waits for Clara, he sees and hears the different species in the forest, but he does not experience anything dangerous. Then a Paras approaches Tokyo with angry eyes and coming closer to him quickly. Tokyo finds this Pokémon's information from the book in his hand and wants to protect himself from it, but there is nothing he can do. As a result, he calls Charmander out of the Poké ball, no matter how much he doesn't want to. This orange Pokémon, with a fire on its tail and short arms and legs, is surprised to encounter Tokyo in Viridian Forest, but soon begins to act on its own, completely ignoring Tokyo. Tokyo commands Charmander to attack Paras, but Charmander lies down on the ground and begins to sleep.

Paras leaves without harming Tokyo. Tokyo calls out to the direction Clara left, waiting for an answer, but gets no response from her. Meanwhile, Tokyo questions his decisions. He wonders if he should really trust Clara. After all, she's a girl he met hours ago, and maybe because Tokyo got hurt, she dumped him there, thinking he would slow her down. In order to ease her conscience, he thinks that she might have left this book full of information that she already knows. Tokyo feels more hopeless every time he doesn't get an answer from Clara in these thoughts.

Tokyo is distracted from his thoughts when he sees a Pokémon falling from a tree. He knows this Pokémon because he encounters it in abundance in Pallet Town. This is a Pidgey. Pidgey fell from a tree several meters high and does not move. Tokyo cautiously approaches it to see if it's alive. Although its size reassures Tokyo, he has learned not to trust any Pokémon, even the small ones. When he gets close to it, he sees a Pokémon about 3 meters tall coming down from above. Realizing that that Pokémon is attacking Pidgey, he hides Pidgey in his bag and tries to protect it from the approaching Pokémon. However, this enraged Pokémon targets Tokyo's bag and attempts to attack the Pokémon inside. He puts himself at great risk as he tries to protect the tiny Pokémon from that three-meter Pokémon with all his might. Charmander is impressed when he sees Tokyo's efforts to protect a Pokémon from where it lies down. Realizing that the three-meter-tall Pokémon is an enlarged Beedrill, Tokyo asks Charmander for help. Charmander, impressed by Tokyo's self-sacrifice, obeys his words and attacks Beedrill with Scratch. Charmander, who inflicts unexpected damage to Beedrill's arm, allows to get away from Pidgey before Beedrill gets it.

As Beedrill flies away groaning in pain, Tokyo pulls out the Pidgey he's been hiding in his bag. Although Pidgey is frightened, he is conscious. After Tokyo encourages it a little, Pidgey comes to his senses and flies away. Meanwhile, Tokyo notices a Rattata watching them through a hole in a tree there. Rattata are always contemptuous by the people of Pallet Town because they are known for stealing people's food and valuables. But here the conditions are very different. Rattata is terrified and trusts him after seeing what Tokyo has done. Then Tokyo tells Rattata that it can accompany them if it wants. Then Rattata jumps from the tree in joy, approaches Tokyo's feet and rubs its head against his leg.

Meanwhile, Clara calls out to Tokyo out of breath. She runs up to him from afar. Tokyo is very happy to see Clara. When they are reunited, Clara apologizes for being late but mentions that she has made a big discovery. She says she found enlarged Pokémon that had died deep in the forest. When these Pokémon die, a silvery liquid flows from their mouths. This liquid is a chemical component injected into them. It is this chemical component that enlarges their size and changes their behavior. She has ideas about what's in the chemical compound, but she says she needs to examine it in the lab to be sure.

Tokyo feels uncomfortable and uneasy when the concept of death is being brought forward in such a real way. However, after the recent events, although he is not friends with Charmander as close as he wants to be, he has started to gain its trust, and in addition to that, he has gained a second partner. He also realizes that Clara is a trusted friend and skilled scientist. The latest discoveries and realizations he has experienced have made Tokyo extremely happy. He feels more ready than ever for his adventure.

Last edited:
  • Staff
Chapter 04
Undecided Steps
19 March 96

Chapter code: RG004
In book format: 20 pages with 3256 words

Tokyo and Clara decide to proceed through the Viridian Forest in search of greater evidence. But Clara falls into a pit and gets stuck there. Tokyo leaves the pit with Charmander and Rattata to find a Pokémon to help her out, leaving Clara there. On his way, he encounters a giant Scyther. Scyther projects his anger on Tokyo, attacking him, but Charmander and Rattata protect Tokyo and drive Scyther away. For the first time, Tokyo feels a connection with Charmander and Rattata.

Tokyo loses direction at the end of this battle and takes the direction he thinks is right in hopes of finding Clara again. Some sounds he hears a little further intrigue Tokyo. He sees a man in a black suit and two men in black uniforms. Uniformed men inject some liquids into the Pokémon they keep in cages. The logo with a red R letter is sewn on the man in the suit. Tokyo is caught and held hostage by the man in the suit while trying to get away from there, hoping to tell Clara what he has found.

In their short conversation, the man introduces himself as Hideyoshi, tells the men in uniform to continue their work and drives them away. When Tokyo says that he learned about their experiment and will stop it, Hideyoshi admits that he did an experiment in which he injects these liquids, which he calls Magnum liquid, into Pokémon, turning them into much larger and angrier Pokémon, but does not mention the purpose of the experiment. The giant Pokémon are called Magnum Pokémon. He challenges him with Charmander and Rattata when Tokyo says he'll stop them. Hideyoshi responds with his Nidoking and in a very short time neutralizes Tokyo's Pokémon. When Tokyo realizes they've lost, and remains determined to hold out until the end, a Pidgeotto appears and attacks Nidoking, dealing damage. Clara then appears and directs Pidgeotto to neutralize Nidoking. Later, the area is destroyed with the Whirlwind move used by Pidgeotto. Thereupon, Hideyoshi says that they already got what they wanted, but that he will avenge it, and leaves with his bag.

After Hideyoshi leaves, Clara and Pidgeotto search for something, but Tokyo doesn't understand what it is. She says she caught Pidgeotto when she got stuck in the pit and it helped her get out of there. She tells him that Hideyoshi works for the Rocket Organization. According to Clara, while the Rocket Organization is popularly known as an institute and receives financial support from the government for carrying out important experimental projects, they actually conduct underground operations. Meanwhile, Pidgeotto finds the chemical formula of the Magnum Liquid that has been thrown out of Hideyoshi's bag during the Whirlwind move and gives it to Clara.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom