• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Explore A Dramatic New World!

But the 3DS picked up a lot of momentum in 2013 and even though things have slowed down a bit this year, I wouldn't expect new hardware anytime soon.
The hardware sales for 2013 were a fair bit lower than past years as well as Nintendo's forecasts. If by "anytime soon" you mean "not even in two years", then I strongly disagree.

No question the 3DS isn't doing as well as Nintendo had wanted and expected, but it's a far cry from the travesty the Wii U has become. With Smash Bros. and now Pokemon leading a growing 2014 lineup (and with more sure to be announced at E3) it doesn't seem to be the right time to delve into new hardware. Two years, yeah, maybe. But not this E3, not in the relative future.

Two years, yeah, maybe. But not this E3, not in the relative future.
No one mentioned the immediate future.

Oh okay, so we're on the same page. :p For some reason I thought we were talking about new hardware at E3 or something (there is a rumor floating around regarding "Advanced" trademarks but they're clearly a stretch, given most are never used).

Seems like a revamped Hoenn, plus a new Sevii Islands type area but bigger, maybe even to the scale of HGSS Kanto being super optomistic. That would fit being a fresh take on RS while also having a new world.

I've been saying that I think this will be a sequel, but anything is possible. If it will just be a traditional remake, but not the same Hoenn, I'll be very sad.

While im still holding out hope that these are new hoenn games rather than remakes (which would fit with the new world remarks) I cant help but feel like they used comparable wording with Heart gold and Soul Silver.

While im still holding out hope that these are new hoenn games rather than remakes (which would fit with the new world remarks) I cant help but feel like they used comparable wording with Heart gold and Soul Silver.
They didn't:

We learned on the 7th that “Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver,” the second entry in the popular RPG series, originally released on the Gameboy system in November of 1999, will be remade for the Nintendo DS this autumn under the titles “HeartGold” and “SoulSilver.” New elements will be added in this tenth anniversary return to the Johto region.

A continuation of the original series (Pocket Monsters Red, Green, Blue, and Pikachu), Gold and Silver recorded remarkable sales of 23,000,000 copies worldwide. It introduced monsters that hadn’t appeared in the gameboy games, along with various new features.

Red and Green, the first games of the Pokemon series, were remade for the Gameboy Advance in 2004 as “Fire Red and Leaf Green,” making this the second set of remakes. While Red and Green had fantastic upgrades in their transition from Gameboy to Gameboy Advance, this time the games are skipping the Gameboy Advance and going directly from Gameboy to DS. So they will almost certainly have drastically upgraded graphics and sound. Details will be released on the official site shortly.

Currently in development for the Nintendo DS are the newest entries in the Pokemon series: “Pocket Monsters HeartGold and SoulSilver.” Taking place in the Johto region, the games will be upgraded with all of the series’ current features and will also be packed with brand new features. This year marks the tenth anniversary of “Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver’s” release on the original Gameboy, so its revival is only fitting. Since its release in 1999, the game has sold over 23,000,000 copies worldwide.

Nothing about a new world or story.

I was wrong then. :( But this is still trollfreak were talking about so the words could mean everything or nothing at all

hoennkd5.jpg

Just posting this for reference. There are plenty of islands in the southeast that are still unused. We could easily go there and find out it's a big nature reserve or zoo or something with tons of foreign pokemon living there.

So... Put the Friend Safari on one of them?

The thing is, the press release states that these games are a "fresh take" on Ruby and Sapphire. If you think about it, the only way remakes can be fresh takes on their original counterparts is through graphics (and I suppose generational gameplay upgrade), not the games as a whole as implied here. Kyogre and Groudon's alternate appearances already hint at some sort of story variation from the original games.

The "fresh take" thing definitely implies some sort of significant change, although I'm not exactly sure it's a sequel. I think at the very least, though, we can expect things like new areas, maybe revamps to older areas, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon added to the Hoenn Dex, new Mega Evolutions, a different storyline, things of that nature.

The wording is rather simple: They are a "fresh take" on Ruby & Sapphire, which is the same as saying "re-imagined". Ergo, a remake with some changes - an enhanced remake, just like Fire Red/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver. If they were anything else, it would have been in black and white. Are people really so petty as to pick at the exact wording of a press release and it's lack of the word "remake", compared to one written years ago when we don't even know that they were written and/or approved by the same person?

It's just fancy PR talk for "remake". I'd put money on it if I could.

The wording is rather simple: They are a "fresh take" on Ruby & Sapphire, which is the same as saying "re-imagined". Ergo, a remake with some changes - an enhanced remake, just like Fire Red/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver. If they were anything else, it would have been in black and white. Are people really so petty as to pick at the exact wording of a press release and it's lack of the word "remake", compared to one written years ago when we don't even know that they were written and/or approved by the same person?
What's so petty about it? As you can see from the two posts above yours, "fresh take" is ambiguous while "remakes" isn't, without even taking the "spectacular new world" and "new adventure" lines into consideration.

FRLG and HGSS were labeled as remakes from the get-go. B2W2, however, just had their titles announced with no explanation. While it is true that that the titles were a clear sign of sequels, there was still a lot of confusion which was only clarified weeks later. There is no precedent for a game that was clearly labeled as a sequel to begin with, but there is for two sets of remakes.

What's so petty about it? As you can see from the two posts above yours, "fresh take" is ambiguous while "remakes" isn't, without even taking the "spectacular new world" and "new adventure" lines into consideration.
"spectacular new world" and "new adventure" for Pokémon's target audience of 8-12 year olds. Who gives a damn if it doesn't jump in our face by shouting "Remake! Remake! Remake!" like Benny in The LEGO Movie? The marketing strategy for Pokémon has seen a drastic change since the launch of Black & White.

FRLG and HGSS were labeled as remakes from the get-go. B2W2, however, just had their titles announced with no explanation. While it is true that that the titles were a clear sign of sequels, there was still a lot of confusion which was only clarified weeks later. There is no precedent for a game that was clearly labeled as a sequel to begin with, but there is for two sets of remakes.
Please pray tell, how "fresh take on Ruby & Sapphire" can possibly mean sequels. A "Fresh Take" means to take something old and look at it from a new perspective or make it feel new again. A sequel is not something that's old.

"spectacular new world" and "new adventure" for Pokémon's target audience of 8-12 year olds.
There is no target audience for the games, at least not to such an extent where the rest of the players should get confused. Kids can feel excited about games they've never played even if they are presented as remakes.

The marketing strategy for Pokémon has seen a drastic change since the launch of Black & White.
The only thing that comes to mind is the lack of distinction between new Pokémon and alternate forms, but that has always been the case. And you can tell just from looking at a Pokémon if it is new or not. I have no idea why you thought Mega Mewtwo was a new Pokémon.

Please pray tell, how "fresh take on Ruby & Sapphire" can possibly mean sequels.
Anything to do with Hoenn would be a fresh take on the original games; the more original it is, the fresher it will feel. It doesn't have to be a repeat of the original story.

The "fresh take" thing definitely implies some sort of significant change, although I'm not exactly sure it's a sequel. I think at the very least, though, we can expect things like new areas, maybe revamps to older areas, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon added to the Hoenn Dex, new Mega Evolutions, a different storyline, things of that nature.

What does "explore a dramatic new world" mean, then? When I think of a remake, I don't think of something completely different than what the original was.

Personally i'm doubting the sequel thing. Why would they sequel a game that is 11 years old - their target audience of 10 year olds weren't alive to play the originals! I get a feeling it's going to be like HG/SS in that it's a remake but a remake with added features, which I am happy about because, honestly, Hoenn is da best.

The most likely scenario IMHO is a remake that has some storyline changes (which I primarily see as being Mega Evolutions, on the boxart of ORAS, worked in). Thus, it's more "new" than FR/LG and HG/SS were, but still a remake of R/S nonetheless.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom