• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Explore A Dramatic New World!

You don't call a game Whatever Ruby and Whatever Sapphire and don't include Hoenn. What sense would that make?

This. It should go without saying that a game that bears the name Ruby and Sapphire, has Groudon and Kyogre as mascots, and is touted as "a fresh take on Ruby/Sapphire" would take place in Hoenn. It's just common sense.

Agreeing it's definitely Hoenn, not a different region. The dramatic wordings, though, probably indicates new areas or some redesigns of Hoenn. I wish they kept the nature as it is - maybe with a more dramatic, beautiful design.

The key would in all of this is "world".

"World" probably just refers to Hoenn. It's the "new" part of that statement that is more crucial. Hoenn in and of itself is not "new", so that would be overselling it if it were just the same game with 6th gen graphics and mechanics. There's probably something added onto the existing game that makes it feel "new".

You don't call a game Whatever Ruby and Whatever Sapphire and don't include Hoenn. What sense would that make?

This. It should go without saying that a game that bears the name Ruby and Sapphire, has Groudon and Kyogre as mascots, and is touted as "a fresh take on Ruby/Sapphire" would take place in Hoenn. It's just common sense.

Agreeing it's definitely Hoenn, not a different region. The dramatic wordings, though, probably indicates new areas or some redesigns of Hoenn. I wish they kept the nature as it is - maybe with a more dramatic, beautiful design.

The key would in all of this is "world".

"World" probably just refers to Hoenn. It's the "new" part of that statement that is more crucial. Hoenn in and of itself is not "new", so that would be overselling it if it were just the same game with 6th gen graphics and mechanics. There's probably something added onto the existing game that makes it feel "new".

Good point. I did see a few forums users mention the small islands surrounding Hoenn, so maybe we will get to explore those islands.

C'mon... if they were REALLY gonna run with a whole new region, we'd be labeling this as a Gen. VII game. An introduction of a brand-new region usually comes with a host of new Pokemon and takes a lot longer than a year after the start of a previous generation to get started. They're not going to be making any new Pokemon (formes and Mega-Evos do not count), so why waste the effort making a new region?

Don't care which, how about you start in HOENN, then after elites,you can visit another new region with another league challenge at high levels?

So there's this: Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2014

Scroll down.

06.jpg

The announcement was made only yesterday, so we were unable to include them in the supplementary document for this financial briefing, but the latest installments from the Pokémon franchise, “Pokémon Omega Ruby” and “Pokémon Alpha Sapphire” will be released globally for Nintendo 3DS in November this year. They are full-remakes of the Game Boy Advance “Pokémon Ruby” and “Pokémon Sapphire” games, which sold more than 5.44 million units in Japan and more than 16.22 million units worldwide.

Scroll down.

06.jpg

The announcement was made only yesterday, so we were unable to include them in the supplementary document for this financial briefing, but the latest installments from the Pokémon franchise, “Pokémon Omega Ruby” and “Pokémon Alpha Sapphire” will be released globally for Nintendo 3DS in November this year. They are full-remakes of the Game Boy Advance “Pokémon Ruby” and “Pokémon Sapphire” games, which sold more than 5.44 million units in Japan and more than 16.22 million units worldwide.

Well, if Nintendo says it's a full-remake, I'll admit that I was wrong.

Don't care which, how about you start in HOENN, then after elites,you can visit another new region with another league challenge at high levels?

I've been waiting for Chugoku Confirmed for a long time. I'm not sure it will be done through ORAS, however; in fact, at this point I'm seriously considering whether they'll do it at all.

However, I suppose they could potentially pull off including the Chugoku region and thus allowing you to travel to Jouto and Kanto after the Hall of Fame. Really, it would make so little sense at this point to keep Houen isolated, but then again, that would seem to be what the decision to make remakes entails.

However, the Embedded Tower in HGSS (and by extension Routes 47 and 48) were full of hints as to a Pokemon version of the Japanese Chugoku/Shikoku region, so maybe they were hinting for the region's inclusion in ORAS 5 years prior to the latter's release, in the same way that FRLG made hints about HGSS 5 years prior to HGSS' release.

Last edited:

Scroll down.

06.jpg

@Silktree;

See? Remakes. The PR announcement was just full of PR fluff, as I said.

See? Remakes. The PR announcement was just full of PR fluff, as I said.
You don't have to be obnoxious about it. There was no reason for the PR pluff and many people got confused because of it. I was merely saying that the games weren't guaranteed to be remakes.

Well if it is just a full remake they better not pull any of that "whole new world, whole new story" stuff here in the UK, we have something call the trade descriptions act which could land Nintendo in a lot of trouble for false advertising and deceit in attempt to sell, (we're not as liberal as US and Japan when it comes to what people say in adverts) It'd be quite easy for any UK lawyer to make a fast buck by showing that it was in fact almost the same story and even set in the same place.

I'm very disappointed in Nintendo, first these false claims, and also the fact they would be so unorignal as to do remakes rather than a sequel.
This is clearly a "profits are down because of the Wii U, let's dust off an oldie, polish it up a bit and say it's new"

I'd say they can get away with the "new world" remarks considering a) It's been 12 years since their original debut and B) This will be the first time that Hoenn is a 3D world. Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos have all been 3D in some form, while Hoenn was last seen in a purely 2-D environment. Considering it's being rebuilt from the ground up to meet Gen VI standards (presumably), I'd give it the all-clear.

Though @Oras; that is a fair point. They are false claims, but I've already stated why I personally find them amicable, and second remakes are hardly less original than a sequel or third version since you have to re-build the game from the ground up - a sequel or remake is significantly easier to make because the groundwork is already done.

I'd say they can get away with the "new world" remarks considering a) It's been 12 years since their original debut and B) This will be the first time that Hoenn is a 3D world. Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos have all been 3D in some form, while Hoenn was last seen in a purely 2-D environment. Considering it's being rebuilt from the ground up to meet Gen VI standards (presumably), I'd give it the all-clear.

Though @Oras; that is a fair point. They are false claims, but I've already stated why I personally find them amicable, and second remakes are hardly less original than a sequel or third version since you have to re-build the game from the ground up - a sequel or remake is significantly easier to make because the groundwork is already done.

Similar to the game corner in Platinum, they will probably try and get away with it in countries with lax advertising laws like the US, (and Japan too it seems) but I really do not think they will be able to get away with this in the UK/EU. Like when they try and pass off formes as new Pokemon in Japan, I don't think I've ever seen them do this in the UK advertising, apart from Mega Mewtwo Y but they were able to establish actually it wasn't a new Pokemon, but a Mega Evo before the games comes out.

With over 63 million people in the UK, and 500 million across the EU, I am sure there is at least one enterprising individual who is both old enough to know the law and be able to pursue a case, as well as someone who plays/played/was aware well enough of Pokemon and could quite easily see Nintendo were lying/not being completely honest.

It is an interesting one, because while the "New World" stuff isn't really false advertising for the intended target audience, that target audience also isn't going to be the one reading press releases. Could we receive new post-game content and new areas? Or maybe by "new world" they mean "vastly improved to the point where it feels like new" (which they could have just said. It sounds fancier).

It's a bad choice of words that they could easily have avoided. On the other hand, I can't be mad at them for false advertising because it's going to get a lot more obvious whether this is old Hoenn or not (signs point to yes, at least in part).

Personally i'm doubting the sequel thing. Why would they sequel a game that is 11 years old - their target audience of 10 year olds weren't alive to play the originals! I get a feeling it's going to be like HG/SS in that it's a remake but a remake with added features, which I am happy about because, honestly, Hoenn is da best.

Honestly I would be content with either outcome: Remakes or sequels. Although I do believe that these newly announced games could still be possible sequels as opposed to remakes. The phrase 'explore a dramatic new world' has me thinking they could possibly be sequels. I would not want remakes to have such dramatic changes that they don't feel like actual remakes of the originals.

As would I - remake or sequel, I think these two will be awesome. (love your avatar and siggie, too!)

Thank you. As you can tell, I am a huge Avatar: The Last Airbender fan.

I guess it has been confirmed by Nintendo that they are indeed remakes, which I am completely fine with. I will not enjoy the wait, but I will enjoy the sparks of excitement every time new information is given/leaked to us.

Perhaps they deliberately chose those words because they knew it would cause controversy among the fans and thus drum up more attention?
heh, drum up. Fitting considering the RSE soundfont.

Maybe that new region that dude in the hotel talked about in X and Y will be the postgame or something...

Why would they add a new region as postgame? If they had one they would make a new game instead of R/S remakes.
The Sevii Islands was essentially a new region (albeit small) and partly post-game. Kanto was also post-game in GSC/HGSS, although it wasn't new at the time. But it's not impossible. I can see it happen, especially because we've been getting hints about a "new" region.

Maybe that new region that dude in the hotel talked about in X and Y will be the postgame or something...

Why would they add a new region as postgame? If they had one they would make a new game instead of R/S remakes.
The Sevii Islands was esentially a new region (albeit small) and partly post-game. Kanto was also post-game in GSC, although it wasn't new at the time. But it's not impossible. I can see it happen, especially because we've been getting hints about a "new" region.

They would earn more money making a plain new one. If someone talk about a new region I do not only think of a new geographic area, I think of new moves, abilities, pokemons, characters and features. They would not add all that in a remake. A new area will probably be found but a new region feels very unlikely.

I hope the upcoming Coro Coro will share some light into the story I mean I don't expect much but some essential parts of the story.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom