• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Exploring the tags and their use rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayi Rowling

*rules with cotton fist*
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! :ksmile:

As some of you might have already noticed, we now have a tag system on vB4 that allows us to automatically include/call someone into a thread or post. It's a very useful system, just like the automatic message you get when someone quotes your post, but it could also be a breeding ground for misbehavior, so we need a set of rules as to how to use it.

First, what can we use tags for?

Well, some writers have a dedicated fanbase, which want to be up-to-date with the newest chapter or story they post. This is usually handled through VMs or PMs to each reader, which can be quite exhausting to the writer if their list is long, or can be easy to miss among other VMs or PMs for the reader.

The tag system automatically notifies you when you're tagged in a post, just like when you receive a VM or a PM.

Second, how do you use the tags?

They're easier to pull off than a bunch of different VMs (and allow for more people than a PM), and are less advertising-looking:

In a new chapter or story post, at some point, include @[Username] ; to automatically tag a reader.

It's important to leave a space between the username and the ; sign, and for it to be the exact username. However, if done correctly, the user gets notified right away!

Third, which are the rules, then?

The rules for using the tags in the Workshop, the Block, the Atlas and the Archive are:
  1. The user must ask you to notify him/her, either in a review or a VM/PM between you two. At any moment, they can tell you to stop notifying them, and you must respect their decision. Failing to do so (that is, tagging them anyways) will result in an pointless post warning/infraction.
  2. The tags must only be present in a post that contains a fragment of a story (chapter), story collection (one-shot, drabble) or poem. If tags are done in any other type of post, it'll result in a wrong/banned topic warning/infraction, whether it was the author or not.
  3. Telling people to read your story by VM and/or PM is, from this moment on, a completely forbidden action if it's the first interaction you have with them. Failure to comply will result in an inappropriate content warning/infraction. However, if you're friends, and your story came up during a conversation, it's OK.

Finally, can you use it elsewhere in the forum?

Yes, you can. But please, don't abuse of the system; only use them when you're replying to someone and don't wish to quote their post.

If you're unsure about tags in the subforum you're exploring, don't hesitate to ask the local moderators about their use in that place.

And that's all, everyone. Have fun! :ksmile:

Telling people to read your story by VM and/or PM is, from this moment on, a completely forbidden action if it's the first interaction you have with them. Failure to comply will result in an inappropriate content warning/infraction. However, if you're friends, and your story came up during a conversation, it's OK.

I'm a little confused on this. It sounds like we aren't allowed to ask people to review our story through VM/PM anymore. But we're also not allowed to tag people who haven't asked to be tagged. So how do we ask people to read our stories?

I'm a little confused on this. It sounds like we aren't allowed to ask people to review our story through VM/PM anymore. But we're also not allowed to tag people who haven't asked to be tagged. So how do we ask people to read our stories?

They're supposed to come freely to read your story :)

But, if you want, you're allowed to advertise through your signature or your blog, or ask in the Reviewers thread here for a mutually-beneficial arrangement, or even talk about it outside of Bulbagarden. All those are valid means ;-)

These limitations are in place now (and have actually always been) given the high amount of activity the Workshop receives on a normal day. We don't want to swamp readers with requests, after all. And honestly, considering there have been cases in the past where the very first time the writer talked to the reader was through an advertisement, we're trying to increase respect toward them; they're not reviewing machines.

Ah, so doing it through the review exchange is allowed. I see, thanks!

I believe this is the first instance in which the Writer's Workshop uses v4b. Either way, what if people still want to get VM/PMed when a new chapter is posted?

I believe this is the first instance in which the Writer's Workshop uses v4b. Either way, what if people still want to get VM/PMed when a new chapter is posted?

If that is the case, and a warning/infraction is given, it can be appealed. We listen to reason, and are willing to review each case individually; we're not dictators or prone to want to punish you ;-) Still, once the tag system is explored, you'll see how much easier for everyone it is.

If that is the case, and a warning/infraction is given, it can be appealed. We listen to reason, and are willing to review each case individually; we're not dictators or prone to want to punish you ;-) Still, once the tag system is explored, you'll see how much easier for everyone it is.

I was actually about the readers, what if they don't like the tag system, and still wish to be VMed/PMed.

I was actually about the readers, what if they don't like the tag system, and still wish to be VMed/PMed.

They can tell the author themselves. Still, if a Workshop mod makes a mistake in such a case and warns/infracts, this point should be brought up, and the warning/infraction will be removed for the author.

So wait, with the brackets, necessarily?

Because I'd hate to accidentally tag somebody by typing an @ and then the word without the brackets.

That completely sucks. Now I can't use that as a reply tagger without pinging people and breaking the rules D: (Do you need the semicolon, by any chance?)

That completely sucks. Now I can't use that as a reply tagger without pinging people and breaking the rules D: (Do you need the semicolon, by any chance?)

The semicolon is needed for the tags to work, yes.

You can still do it without a semicolon to refer to people, or quote their posts, but the tag system has been chosen for sending alerts only.

The semicolon is needed for the tags to work, yes.

You can still do it without a semicolon to refer to people, or quote their posts, but the tag system has been chosen for sending alerts only.

Oh, that's good then. (I'll probably never use it, though... ¬_¬)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom