• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Extended Storyline/Areas

As for the Distortion World versus the ruins...the ruins have an otherworldly feel to them, don't they? And the anime did show that the Unown come from a different dimension and/or universe,

Anime =/= games

In game canon Unown ARE from this world, they're just mysteryous, but still they belong in our world/dimension. Distortion World is an alternate dimension in which only Giratina lives. The Unown are ancient and strange, and that's why they are mythical, but it is never (not even a litte) implied that they come from another world, at least not in Johto folklore.

They're OK at the ruins, it should just be expanded with a better plot.

Although I agree in that they came before writing.

If you had taken the time to read the stuff you deleted, you would have noticed that I acknowledged that fact. That doesn't stop occasional references to the anime being made in the games, and vice-versa.

Yes, I read it, but I did write that anyway because you seem to be a little contradictory. Movie characters having cameos as trainers in the games, Riley having a Lucario and looking like Sir Aron are occasional references; basing the whole backstory of an entire species on what a Movie said, is not.

It is established in Platinum that Giratina is the only living being that inhabits the Distortion World. Considering that Unown is included in the Sinnoh Dex, Game Freak would have made its presence known if that had been the intention.

and it seems to me like it's been implied that whoever lived there created them, or at least shaped them into their forms.
No. It is directly stated in the games that the ruins were built by an ancient civilization as a habitat for Unown and possibly some other Pokémon (the one depicted in the statues whose identity is unknown).

The RUINS appear to have been built as a habitat for Pokémon.
The RUINS are about 1500 years old. But it's not known why they were built--or by whom.

The Tanoby Ruins were built around the same time, whereas the Solaceon Ruins seem to have little in the way of interesting history. The actual site of the Ruins of Alph might have very well been connected to Unown since before the ruins were built. Based on the fact that Unown are summoned to the Ruins of Alph and Tanoby Ruins, it is indeed possible that they roam some kind of wormhole connecting different parts of the world. I suspect that the ruins were built as a sanctuary for them. The following message appears in Crystal:

They possess great insight and refuse the outside world. We humans must learn to walk in harmony with them.

Unown obviously can't stay in the world unless protected by the ruins. They might be constantly moving between the different ruins, but that motion requires a wormhole if the outside world is off-limits. This still begs the question of what happened to Unown before the ruins were built, and to that end I propose that they could (and still can) remain inside the wormhole for an unlimited amount of time. Of course, they must have been in the outside world at some point to appreciate the danger that it poses to them.

Last edited:
Unown obviously can't stay in the world unless protected by the ruins. They might be constantly moving between the different ruins, but that motion requires a wormhole if the outside world is off-limits. This still begs the question of what happened to Unown before the ruins were built, and to that end I propose that they could (and still can) remain inside the wormhole for an unlimited amount of time. Of course, they must have been in the outside world at some point to appreciate the danger that it poses to them.

They're limbless, one-eyed, floating, featureless, living alphabet letters whose only known abilities in the games comprise of levitating and shooting out piddly balls of light with nigh-random effects. It's probably not a matter of dimensional stability as the fact that anything else in the world could massacre them if they ever floated outside of the ruins.

It's probably not a matter of dimensional stability as the fact that anything else in the world could massacre them if they ever floated outside of the ruins.
I didn't imply otherwise. That's exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned "danger", although I do believe there is more story to this than you seem to think.

The whole Unown situation makes little to no sense at all.

If they don't take this opportunity to expand upon their history or purpose, then they have either abandoned their plans for them or plan to use them to a greater extent in a future generation (when they'll be able to introduce a new Pokemon to tie in with them, essentially).

The whole Unown situation makes little to no sense at all.

If they don't take this opportunity to expand upon their history or purpose, then they have either abandoned their plans for them or plan to use them to a greater extent in a future generation (when they'll be able to introduce a new Pokemon to tie in with them, essentially).

They've had 10 years and numerous opportunities to make them interesting or relevant already.

Then I suppose ours is but to weep and wonder, as they say.

Zeta said:
They've had 10 years and numerous opportunities to make them interesting or relevant already.
They made them more interesting in the Crystal sidequest, but failed to reach any sort of resolution. The same had happened with Mewtwo in the previous generation, but there was definite progress in that the ruins were filled with references, as opposed to Pokémon Mansion which only had four journal entries (none of the people there alluded to Mewtwo). With the advent of a new generation, the games went back three years in time; Unown was one of the many Pokémon that didn't make it to Ruby and Sapphire, with the Regis being given their own mystery and sidequest focusing on Braille.

Come FireRed and LeafGreen, two new Unown forms were revealed (though hackers had made their existence known beforehand), and we came to learn that there is a connection between the Ruins of Alph and the Tanoby Ruins. Should we have learned more? Possibly, but you could the same for Giovanni's hinted parenthood of Silver; it is crystal-clear that Game Freak had already thought of remaking Gold and Silver for the following generation. The Sevii Islands segment of FireRed and LeafGreen was in part about reminding players that Johto existed, that the events of Generation II hadn't yet unfolded, and that there was room to explore that region in the future.

Diamond and Pearl made Unown readily available via the Solaceon Ruins, and for good reason: Transferring 28 Unown forms would have been a hassle to Pokédex completionists. Beyond that, Game Freak were about to start developing HeartGold and SoulSilver; why would they have spoiled the potential of connecting the dots so early? Granted, assocating Unown with Seals was counter-productive in terms of intesifying the mystery, but unlike Kanto, Sinnoh isn't connected to Johto in any meaningful way; the plots are entirely independent.

The only thing that arguably should have been done in preparation for the remakes was to add the Pokémon of the statue as a hidden event-exclusive critter - in a similar fashion to Ruby and Sapphire's handling of Deoxys. It is important to remember in this regard that HeartGold and SoulSilver are being released three years after Diamond and Pearl; Arceus itself might have been testing the fans' patience, being unveiled more than two years after the games' release. Knowing about something over three years in advance is the very epitome of being spoiled, and it has been very made clear that Game Freak want to surprise all of their fans, be they veterans or newcomers, with this particular set of games.

I am not fooling myself that things can't go wrong - that perhaps the story isn't so important to the powers-that-be. After all, nothing happened with the Regis in Generation IV, even though Diamond and Pearl introduced Regigigas and Platinum gave them Sinnoh habitats. But those games focused on the Galactic plot that involved as many as six legendary Pokémon, which were all connected to a previously-obscured Pokémon only referred to as the "Original One" up until now. That took a toll on other avenues of story-telling, but admittedly, Game Freak just weren't interested. Nevertheless, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
Honestly, I hope you're right, Unown Lord. "Cautiously optimistic" sounds about right.

The only thing that arguably should have been done in preparation for the remakes was to add the Pokémon of the statue as a hidden event-exclusive critter - in a similar fashion to Ruby and Sapphire's handling of Deoxys. It is important to remember in this regard that HeartGold and SoulSilver are being released three years after Diamond and Pearl; Arceus itself might have been testing the fans' patience, being unveiled more than two years after the games' release. Knowing about something over three years in advance is the very epitome of being spoiled, and it has been very made clear that Game Freak want to surprise all of their fans, be they veterans or newcomers, with this particular set of games.

Yeah I feel that from the release of D/P to remakes would have been too long for a hidden pokemon to remain hidden. They don't have to always have a new pokemon for remakes, NEP can disprove that, new looks on a pokemon can do this just as well and if we see how everything goes when remakes are out. Arceus was hidden for a very long time, but ended up everyone knew about it, but the movie one was kinda surprising for most people as not many (if any) knew about what it unlocked. No one yet knows how movie 13 will be, or even if its based on remakes at all, but if it is, I'm sure they will find a good way of representing the games. Maybe they already did this with NEP/PCP and the Johto starters instead of waiting until after release. Showing these things early enough could get fans interested in these new games to come, if they know about them, which I am safe to assume now many do.

I am not fooling myself that things can't go wrong - that perhaps the story isn't so important to the powers-that-be. After all, nothing happened with the Regis in Generation IV, even though Diamond and Pearl introduced Regigigas and Platinum gave them Sinnoh habitats. But those games focused on the Galactic plot that involved as many as six legendary Pokémon, which were all connected to a previously-obscured Pokémon only referred to as the "Original One" up until now. That took a toll on other avenues of story-telling, but admittedly, Game Freak just weren't interested. Nevertheless, I remain cautiously optimistic.

You have a lot of ideas about what could be in games with storyline, but you have to remember they won't go into it as much detail as you said and this isn't crystal too, so maybe they will leave out the crystal things added in crystal like Euisune. I know in D/P?pt you have to bring regis to Regigigas to activate it so you can battle it, but I never understood the point of having to have a regigigas to unlock regis as its the regis that do that, Brendan in Anime coming to snowpoint kinda proves that point. For the sake of a movie event pokemon, I never thought it that good to be honest, its idea was backwards. They could have gave us three special regis and use those to unlock a special regigigas instead of other way around, but I guess since we were focusing on regigigas and not the 3 regis, it happened the other way around.

Last edited:
Actually, doesn't the gen III timeline happen the same as gen I? and gen II had a different timeline than gen I, So Gen III storyline would have already happened about a few years before the events of gen II. I don't see that happening

If you talk to a person in the Pokemon Center in Pedalberg City in RS, He will say that your family moved from *Drum Roll* Johto which means that the Hoenn story probably happened AFTER Johto.

Um,that makes no sense.

Johto could still exist 3 years ago you know. Why would it not? :/

I agree Raine -Johto is a place, not an era or timeline.

I don't think Johto was created the day Gold got his started and then a meteorite destroyed it just after he beat Red...

Back
Top Bottom