• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Douse Drive Genesect, the Genesect storyline in general sounds pretty interesting but that one in particular sounds like such a touching moment in the movie that I'd love to see that play out.

I'll have to hear that 「おまえは」 myself in order to judge.

The Mewtwo appeared, but for all we know the actual events of the movie didn't happen. Or wait, did it appear other than when he was beating the crap out of Shigeru? But I honestly wouldn't be very surprised if they don't consider it canon. It probably is canon, but eh, the writers have fucked up so badly before I just can't react to anything they do anymore.

Well, there's this one scene along with three other scenes that seem to "coincidentally" resemble scenes from the movie. Must be another GS Ball incident!

Mewtwo Strikes Back:

rgiORZr.png

IfI7nkn.png

TV series:

Lzk4yPN.png

R9k96Ic.png

This and the fact that the Mewtwo TV special is treated as part of the Jouto saga (as in, regular [albeit extra long] episode(s) complete with the corresponding opening and ending sequence), someone would have to be in a good amount of denial to say they're not canon.

The first movie/TV Special was much more directly connected to the main series canon than this movie. This contradicts with its own prologue, and it's surprising that N didn't even investigate Project G all the way through as alluded to in Episode N.

In regards to disrespecting Shudo's work - if anything, this is honouring it. It has been said many times that the director was close to Shudo, so imagine how stressful it would have been to have to go back to Shudo's characters and themes and have to build on them?
Honoring him? Like how they mishandle the Rocket trio in the anime episodes? By not at least throwing the original Mewtwo a bone by making a direct reference or two? After the few caped cameos Mewtwo made in AG-DP, they didn't even bother to do that in the credits? (Heck, the manga adaptation didn't even do that - a series of visions included a random filler character with a Windy, Kasumi and Takeshi, Purin cuddling up to some kid, but the author didn't even bother showing Mewtwo himself.)

It's not hard to honor the original Mewtwos' story by showing the culmination of his character development in a respectful manner. He's found his purpose and place in the world, and showing him willing to help another group of Pokemon find theirs isn't hard at all. It's not like there's much plot to offer in the ACTUAL movie to begin with - it wouldn't have taken away anything if they added a plot that was an extension of the real Mewtwo saga. Yuyama promised us a "Mewtwo that has gone out into the world and expanded its worldview." That's basically what the old Mewtwo already was. In my honest opinion, ignoring his character and acting as if he no longer has a place to be revisited is not honoring his work *in the slightest*.

Considering how bad this movie supposedly was, judging by comments from the Japanese fans, part of me is glad that the original Mewtwo isn't part of this debacle, but there wasn't any reason not to have him here in the first place either.

Think of it like this: A reboot of the Batman film franchise is inevitable, especially with DC's plans for a Justice League movie and Nolan stating that his films will not be connecting to it. This is the same as all of you moaning that the next Batman film franchise will be disrespectful to Nolan's films, because they offer different interpretations to the same character and mythos.
Faulty comparison. This movie comes from the same mythos as the original Mewtwo's story. The logic works with the multiple Pokemon canon universes like Pokemon Special or "Diamond and Pearl Adventure", but these movies are supposedly in the same universe and series. Why do you think Batman Forever was hated so much? It ruined Batman 1989 by extension of being a sequel set in the same storyline!

Like, crap. It makes sense to use that logic and say it's OK to make an entirely new Pokemon anime following a completely different interpretation of Red or another protagonist (which every anime fan is somehow against), but it certainly doesn't work here.

Last edited:
Will Douse Drive Genesect keep a child like voice in the dub? Or will they give it an awkward manly voice like Red Genesect(I wonder who would voice the Genesect in the first place)

Will Douse Drive Genesect keep a child like voice in the dub? Or will they give it an awkward manly voice like Red Genesect(I wonder who would voice the Genesect in the first place)
If the voice director has any sense, most likely they'll have a kid or a female voice it.

I'll laugh if they somehow manage to get Dan Green (I know, I know) to voice the Takashima Mewtwo. Then the uninformed people who still think this is the same Mewtwo will be even more confused.

Last edited:
Hideki Sonoda, the scriptwriter of the movie, was asked about the creation of the second Mewtwo. Here's the translation courtesy of FANG-TAN:

@tomorin0326: If this different individual is a different individual, who created it and how?
@sonodahideki: Bothersome. Use ki. (ki, mood, spirit, energy, air)
@tomorin0326: To be frank, I did not think - sorry! But as a Mewtwo fan, I'm just curious/anxious! Because I like Mewtwo!
@sonodahideki: Compliments are fine. Praise.

This speaks volumes. Tomorin asked a completely acceptable question and was scolded for being rude, with no answer being given.

Last edited:
Hideki Sonoda, the scriptwriter of the movie, was asked about the creation of the second Mewtwo. Here's the translation courtesy of FANG-TAN:

@tomorin0326: If this different individual is a different individual, who created it and how?
@sonodahideki: Bothersome. I used ki. (ki, mood, spirit, energy)
@tomorin0326: To be frank, I did not think - sorry! But as a Mewtwo fan, I'm just curious/anxious! Because I like Mewtwo!

This speaks volumes. Tomorin asked a completely acceptable question and was scolded for being rude, with no answer being given.

He was scolded? It was more like he was avoiding to answer.

The question was, not the person. It's scolding only when he's insulting the person directly. Right now he's saying the question is troublesome. It could be a translation issue though.........maybe it was like what you said, but this translated version doesn't seem to give me direct explanations.

@sonodahideki: Bothersome. I used ki. (ki, mood, spirit, energy)

He was scolded? It was more like he was avoiding to answer.

that is the weirdest twitter conversation ever. i think its a joke. those two must know each other or something, nobody in japan talks like that to random people they don't know. it's weird. he basically replied to the person, "shut up! watch your mouth" and they replied "didnt know you were looking at this". no way the director would talk to a random fan that way.

anyway, just hope everyone can be more open to there being two mewtwos and stop being so angry... i had no idea mewtwo could cause so much arguing across the entire internet.

that is the weirdest twitter conversation ever. i think its a joke. those two must know each other or something, nobody in japan talks like that to random people they don't know. it's weird. he basically replied to the person, "shut up! watch your mouth" and they replied "didnt know you were looking at this". no way the director would talk to a random fan that way.
Does it matter? It isn't a private conversation, so obviously fans can read it and get that impression. Plenty of people are wondering about the existence of a second Mewtwo, so this just makes them feel bad for being naturally curious.

Does it matter? It isn't a private conversation, so obviously fans can read it and get that impression. Plenty of people are wondering about the existence of a second Mewtwo, so this just makes them feel bad for being naturally curious.

i just said it's weird, not that it doesn't matter. though personally i guess it would matter if he was rude to a random fan or not for just asking a simple question on their own twitter. what you guys are thinking is he actually went around twitter looking for people talking about mewtwo (that tweet was not @ him) and bitched at them in an extremely rude way. anyway, this is tiring. back to XY for me i think XD

Last edited:

My translation said:
@sonodahideki: Bothersome (alt: Shut up). Watch your mouth! (ki o tsukae? o_O)
@tomorin0326: To be frank, I did not think you were looking at this (ore no miteru to omotte deshita saasen, note to self: さーせん =/= サーセン)! But as a first generation Mewtwo fan, I'm just curious/anxious! Because I like Mewtwo!

Ah, makes more sense now. Thanks for that.

I honestly didn't expect Sonoda to be this... er, "informal" with a random fan. It is strange.

Last edited:
i just said it's weird, not that it doesn't matter. though personally i guess it would matter if he was rude to a random fan or not for just asking a simple question on their own twitter. what you guys are thinking is he actually went around twitter looking for people talking about mewtwo (that tweet was not @ him) and bitched at them in an extremely rude way. anyway, this is tiring. back to XY for me i think XD
I hadn't realized that the question wasn't even directed at Sonoda. That just makes it far worse, be it a joke or not (and there is no evidence that it is). Perception is what matters here, and it looks really bad. By the way, Tomorin's blog indicates that he's 20 years old; I somehow doubt that he and Sonoda are best buddies.

Next thing you know Sonoda will show up here and scold us for criticizing the movie. Or has he already done that?

Last edited:
I hadn't realized that the question wasn't even directed at Sonoda. That just makes it far worse, be it a joke or not (and there is no evidence that it is). Perception is what matters here, and it looks really bad. By the way, Tomorin's blog indicates that he's 20 years old; I somehow doubt that he and Sonoda are best buddies.

Next thing you know Sonoda will show up here and scold us for criticizing the movie. Or has he already done that?

Now let's not go that far. They could be friends through twitter. Age doesn't matter on the internet right?

The other guy's reply suggest this more and more that they knew each other, if not friends.

Now let's not go that far. They could be friends through twitter. Age doesn't matter on the internet right?
There is no evidence of that. Go ahead and look for previous tweets.

Have you looked? Just asking, not interrogating.

EDIT: FANG-TAN's wall seems to have an explanation for you silktree. Not sure if he posted for you because it's on his wall :3

FANG-TAN said:
I'm going to sleep soon, so I only skimmed his twitter, but this came up:

そういえばツイッターで園田さんと絡んだの初めてな気がする

"Come to think of it, it feels like that was the first time I picked a fight with Sonoda-san on Twitter."

https://twitter.com/tomorin0326/status/355308787076308992

It also seems like Sonoda is one of his followers.
So they know each other, apparently since Tomorin tweeted Sonoda in February about the movie. The fight still wasn't a joke.

So they know each other, apparently since Tomorin tweeted Sonoda in February about the movie. The fight still wasn't a joke.

He may or may not know Sonoda - as a person who uses Twitter, people tend to follow back. At the very least they have communicated through Twitter.

So there are two possibilities:

1. Sonoda was being a total jackass to someone who praised him in the past and whose only sin was to express interest in Mewtwo.
2. They were both parodying fans on Twitter.

Which one is even worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom