• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens" & "Pikachu and Eevee Friends"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
The sixteenth Pokemon movie opens in Japan today, set to star an "army" of five Genesect lead by a Shiny Genesect and a new Mewtwo who is capable of changing into a high speed forme.
The latest Pikachu short will also be released alongside it, and will be the debut the first Gen VI Pokemon in the anime; Sylveon.

If anyone sees this Please let me know how good this is because I will NOT be able to see pictures until some are released at all ok. And I really am excited for this, I have always liked the Pikachu Shorts because they are a bundle of fun and have usually NO Humans at all and I really like that.

PokéBeach has a list of plot points. Suffice to say that the movie has shaped up to be particularly disappointing in more ways than one. For starters, Ash does not know what a Mewtwo is despite not having his memory wiped out in Mewtwo Returns.

Apparently there's a scene that looks too much like 9/11. Even if TPCi dubs this scene, I can't see it making it onto Cartoon Network (They do cut scenes for commercial time anyway, so they might as well do it for this one).

PokéBeach has a list of plot points. Suffice to say that the movie has shaped up to be particularly disappointing in more ways than one. For starters, Ash does not know what a Mewtwo is despite not having his memory wiped out in Mewtwo Returns.

Seems like the previous Mewtwo was retconned out of existence then, which is dreadful if true. I mean I know that the director stated that this is a different Mewtwo and I was actually willing to tolerate the new one because it still seemed cool, but I didn't think he'd tamper with previously established events like this. I've heard only negative things about this movie so far: The other major disappointment is the ending (or lack thereof) of the Mewtwo vs. Genesect fight which seems to end with them staring at the sunrise and holding hands or something like that. Seems really anti-climactic for something that was hyped for months. Oh, and the blatant 9/11 reference also sounds kind of unnecessary, but that part will likely get edited in the dub anyway.

...I've heard only negative things about this movie so far: The other major disappointment is the ending (or lack thereof) of the Mewtwo vs. Genesect fight which seems to end with them staring at the sunrise and holding hands or something like that.

By the sound of that, I can only assume that Ash and his friends distract the friendly Genesect with candy, Eric drinks two of them under the table and Mewtwo flirts with the Red Genesect's love interest, causing it to go berserk, which ends with Mewtwo saying that they can work something out, causing Red to say "You would really help invaders?".

Was anyone able to catch when "The Mother of Rohta" (The mother and daughter that have appeared in every movie since Movie 8) appeared?

I've said it before: there was no way for them to write in a new Mewtwo character without pulling BS out of thin air. But it's even worse, this movie tries to retcon the original Mewtwo out of existence. Who was it that told me they wouldn't ruin my favorite character and that I shouldn't worry about it? Yeah, well, so much for that. Talk about disrespect to a dead writer and a character who had a respectable legacy within the fandom despite being part of the anime canon, which people often look down upon.

To make things worse, we get a clear indication that the director loves to make Satoshi look absolutely retarded. They clearly show him recognizing Mewtwo in the early trailers and aired the original Mewtwo story again on TV, showing that they didn't make Satoshi look stupid due to forgetfulness, because they remembered Satoshi had met a Mewtwo before (don't even tell me they didn't!). No. They will Satoshi into the state that he's in, and they have no respect for him as a likable main character. Satoshi had a great moment with Mewtwo in the original TV Special and they shouldn't have ruined that.

No disrespect intended to Reiko Takashima - she was simply doing her job by voicing the character, and she did it well. However, disrespect is intended for Kunihiko Yuyama. This man worked with Takeshi Shudo on many anime series, and it's hard to believe he would do something like this. So much for the "respecting Shudo's work" theory - he probably did this for shits and giggles, with no rhyme or reason for it. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the "Omae-sama" Shudo was referring to on his blog posts.

Seeing as how I'm not going to watch this movie whenever it comes CN, I have no compunctions about commenting on the synopsis. That's just sad, seemingly retconning the original Mewtwo for this one. I no longer have the capacity to even get mad, though. You do have a point, though, that it seems as if they're saying this is how things are now. Nothing but retcons and discontinuity. I will still attempt to give XY a chance, though. However, I now declare XY to have ONLY ONE chance. If it cannot show promise right away without mucking something up, it's all over for me.

This seems Ok unless I get some good info from someone if they can because when they had announced this Movie I was pretty excited and I want to know some Spoilers form somebody if they can Ok.

Considering how terribly disappointing the movie sounds, I'm kind of glad the old Mewtwo didn't show up. I think he deserves better.

That said, I think it's hilarious that the new Mewtwo has a very similar origin story to the old one according to Pokebeach. Were the writers that egotistical that they though they could write a better Mewtwo? Suffice to say, I feel a little justified for having stopped watching the anime a while ago.

The movie sounds like it's gonna be a disapointment. :( which if that's the case, Best wishes would be the first saga, that I disliked all of the movies. :(

Apparently there's a scene that looks too much like 9/11. Even if TPCi dubs this scene, I can't see it making it onto Cartoon Network (They do cut scenes for commercial time anyway, so they might as well do it for this one).

It probably won't get edited out because I imagine WPM and co. are exaggerating it.

Oh, look. If the manga is faithful to the movie, we get cameos of all sorts of past characters... except for Mewtwo.

The movie sounds interesting and intense. I'm expecting great animation and amazing action. Seeing the Genesect and the Mewtwo develop through their fighting should be cool too. By the looks of it, it doesn't sound like Ash, Iris and Cilan will do much, if anything at all, but I don't really mind. I just want to see the cool Genesect, Mewtwo and Pokemon.

I already like Douse Genesect, specially after looking at this picture gif of her:

QE7cnnh.gif

I don't think this movie will be a disappointment, at least not to me. I wasn't expecting much, to be honest, specially after knowing that Mewtwo would appear, I thought it would be mostly a fan-service-y movie, but since this Mewtwo isn't the same Mewtwo from M01. To be fair, I just wanted to see Genesect animated because I love this Pokémon. Also, I doubt it will be worse than that Reshiram/Zekrom movie or some of the DP ones.

This movie isn't even faithful to its own prologue. In the movie Mewtwo kills its creators, while in the prologue Danku says that he's been ordered by those creators to find Mewtwo, implying that they're still alive. In the movie Mewtwo collapses into a cave in the mountains and gets healed by the Pokémon in the cave, while in the prologue a completely different scene takes place where Mewtwo initially doesn't trust the Pokémon trying to help her (she scares Marill and Azumarill). Why would she act that way if she had already been through something similar before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom