• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

F*** yeah! Controversial *something*!! (Pokemon edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrymidfields

Prime Minister of Shoyo 昇陽国内閣総理大臣
Reaction score
I've got this idea from one of the blogs from tumblr. You choose something Pokémon-related that everyone vents their hates about, but you either like it, or you think its just a huge whinge-fest from people being butt-hurt. You write an article defending that person, story trope, game, etc. Anything is fair game as long as it's Pokémon related - including stuff from Smash Brothers.

See here for the original thing: Fuck Yeah, Controversial Characters!

I'll start first. What I would defend first is the Pokémon speech.

Pokémon speech, I choose you!

(Source: TV Tropes)

So, a lot of people seem to hate the Pokémon speech that represent everything wrong with the anime. "Ugh, it's so unrealistic - no dog says "dog dog dog" all the time." Yeah right.

Firstly, it's not just the anime that has Pokémon speech. At least one manga that I read, which was Pokémon: Golden Boys had at least four characters that used Pokémon speech, and there may be some more that spoke their name.

98697-f-yeah-controversial-something-pokemon-edition-golden-boys-pokemon.gif

As you can see above, all of the Pokémon above use their Japanese name cries.​

Furthermore, there are two mangas that go beyond Poke-speech and actually have Pokémon speak the human language. The first one is the Pocket Monsters manga which features the bizzare and brainless Clefairy. In this, both humans and Pokémon speak the human language, with the Pokémon speech featured as the verbal tic.

98700-f-yeah-controversial-something-pokemon-edition-clefairy-manga-1.jpg
As we know, the Japanese name for Clefairy is Pippi ピッピ. It uses the ッピ tick at the end of the sentence. As for the Machamp, its Japanese name is Kairiki and uses the リキ as it's tic.

98701-f-yeah-controversial-something-pokemon-edition-clefairy-manga-2.jpg
The BW edition of this manga also features Gudurr?/Conkeldurr? yelling that he loves the idol singer group PKE48.​

The other two? It's Magical Pokémon Journey and its sequel, Chamo-Chamo Pretty which are so far the only shojo mangas within the Pokémon franchise. And that features some Poke-speak all displayed in its glory as below.

As with the Clefairy example, Torchic, or Achamo uses its -chamo as its verbal tic. Also Spinda uses it's Japanese tic too (-pachi).​

Finally, if you hate the speech so much...*takes a breath* No one is forcing you to watch the anime. I repeat, No one is forcing you to watch the anime. Exactly. Bulbapedia is not run by our Big Brother Joe Steele, and it does not have a Room numbered as 101 with a TV screen with the Pokémon anime constantly run 24/7. Given that the games and the anime are considered separate canons, there isn't really any reason why you should watch the anime - which is for the audiences younger than the average Bulbagardener anyway - Just play the games. Oh, so Pokémon XY has the Pikachu speak and you're not happy about it? Then choose a different Pokémon, there is the other 450+ of them in the Kalos Pokedex anyway. No one is forcing you to use Pikachu; use Helioptile instead.

As for me? Sure the Pokémon speech looks kinda silly. But I like it, to be honest, it seem to have it's strange charm. Besides, I've seen even more outrageous stuff within the Pokémon franchise, and stuff that are more cringeworthy in Nintendo.

Attachments

• Pikachu speech.jpg
    Pikachu speech.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Golden-Boys-Pokemon.gif
    Golden-Boys-Pokemon.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 395
  • Clefairy-manga-1.jpg
    Clefairy-manga-1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 354
  • Clefairy-manga-2.jpg
    Clefairy-manga-2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 422
  • Chamo-Chamo.jpg
    Chamo-Chamo.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 336
Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that everybody eventually runs into a Pikachu, either through wild battle, trainer battle or online and that cry is completely jarring, obnoxious and completely out of place. You have 720 pokemon using growls, roars and other animalistic sounds, but suddenly you have one saying its name? It's dumb and it should have never happened.

The other problem is that some people want the ingame cries to be the same as the anime cries - just no, a big fat, with a rounded o, no. I just find the whole pokemon saying their names to be really stupid, regardless if it is in the anime, manga or any other pokemon medium.

The problem is that everybody eventually runs into a Pikachu, either through wild battle, trainer battle or online and that cry is completely jarring, obnoxious and completely out of place. You have 720 pokemon using growls, roars and other animalistic sounds, but suddenly you have one saying its name? It's dumb and it should have never happened.

The other problem is that some people want the ingame cries to be the same as the anime cries - just no, a big fat, with a rounded o, no. I just find the whole pokemon saying their names to be really stupid, regardless if it is in the anime, manga or any other pokemon medium.

Gee, did you even read the beginning of my initiation post above? I thought I made this pretty clear, and I really did not intend this to be a discussion of the Pokemon cry (Which I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.) but to see if people have unpopular stuff in the entirety of the franchise that they don't mind defending.

Because this topic is basically a single user's rant rather than an invitation to discussion, it would be better taken to blogs. It also doesn't have much to do with the World of Pokemon anyway since it's primarily about the Anime. Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom