• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Facadeverse Lore, Headcanons, and Other Things (+ Fankids)

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
The new thread for Welkamo Headcanons! I need a single place where I can gather my worlbuilding stuff, and... a lot of my worlbuilding has changed since I first started my last blog. So This will be a more comprehensive, more organized compilation of stuff.

Table of Contents and such pending ~

Education
  • Staff
Education in the Pokémon World
Starting off by reposting + updating some old headcanon info. I might update this post with more headcanons as time goes on.

In Hinode, kids ages 5-10 are required to go to school, although many kids ages 3-5 go to preschool. At elementary grade levels, students learn basic subjects like language arts, math, social studies, and science. After completing elementary school, many children then take a year off to go on a journey (this year is known as Trainer's Leave). This is when they take on the Gym Challenge and, albeit rarely, the Elite Four. Most kids don't get very far in the Gym Challenge, and return to school once Trainer's Leave is over. They then go to lower and upper secondary school. Although education is only compulsory up to Grade 9, the vast, vast majority of students complete secondary school, and most go on to university.

Trainer’s schools are secondary schools that primarily focus on Pokémon and battling, though they also have general education courses, as required by the government. These schools are popular among families of Trainers, or students who want to pursue being a Trainer even after their Trainer's Leave.

Journeys starting at age 10 are much less common in regions like Unova and Kalos. Instead, Trainers usually start their journeys during or after high school.

• Kanto students have some of the highest grades in the Pokémon world, although they’re five times more likely to drop out and join crime gangs. Cram schools are common, and Trainer's schools are incredibly popular.

• Johto’s education is comparable to Kanto’s, albeit with a much lower dropout rate. While college students in Kanto are more likely to major in science, math, and engineering fields, college students in Johto are more likely to major in art, literature, and history fields.

• Hoenn has the highest number of college graduates out of any Kantonian region, but things like apprenticeships are certainly still a thing, especially the Grande Archipelago and especially in Sootopolis City. Business and science majors are very common. Hoennian schools are much more likely to offer foreign language classes (besides Galarian, which is mandatory in all Hinode schools), with typical languages including Wusean (Chinese), Paldean, and Kalosian.

• Sinnoh has a rapidly increasing number of students, foreign exchange and not, studying mythology and theology, although technology and engineering are also popular. There are also many online class courses trainers take on their Pokétech, and they are becoming increasingly popular as a way to extend one's journey while continuing education. Celestican and Sinoyath (the language of the Diamond and Pearl clans) is commonly taught in schools.

• Unova’s biggest majors include social sciences, psychology, and philosophy. Teaching degrees are very popular. Hinodego is increasingly common as a mandatory course, and other languages offered include Paldean, Kalosian, Edelhugan, Wusean, and Balgeunese.

• Kalos has many private and religious schools. Schools of the arts are very common, in addition to exchange programs with Hinode and Paldean schools.

• Alola has a strong focus on Pokémon studies and Pokémon battles. Both the traditions of Alola and the innovations of the modern world are studied. The school system operates with a structure similar to Hinode, though kids go on Trainer's Leave at 11 rather than 10. Galarian, Hinodego, and Alolan are all mandatory languages.

• Galar emphasizes sports and Pokémon studies. Students from all over the world compete to study at Hammerlocke University. STEM subjects are pretty common for majors.

• The crown jewel of Paldea is La Academia. The large academy is actually split into two schools, though this is more in class schedules than in geography: Naranja Academy, the elementary, middle, and high school, and Uva Academy, the university. Naranja has classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, while Uva has classes Tuesdays and Thursdays. Many teachers overlap between the two programs.

Draconic Language New
  • Staff
As some of you may know, I'm a big fan of linguistics. Often that manifests as learning languages, but I also love making languages. Draconic is one of those languages. Originally, I was going to use DnD's Draconic language as a little easter egg of sorts, but the thing is that DnD Draconic is a cipher, which means that it replaces English words with Draconic words. Same grammar and all that (albeit with some different phonology). That's probably more efficient for a tabletop campaign, but it's boring for me. (And way too uncomplicated for someone who likes to overcomplicate things). So over the past few months, I have been developing a Draconic language for my fanfiction stuff. (If this conlang interests you, feel free to use it too! For non-commercial use only.)

Background
While Flying type Pokemon have carried people from one end of the region to another, it was Dragon types who first travelled around the world. Because of Dragon types' strength and difficulty to befriend, many Dragon clans sprung up around the world, and because of their ability to travel long distances, these Dragon clans have come in contact. As such, these clans have developed a shared language, phonetically distinct from surrounding languages, but grammatically simple so it's easy to learn. The language is rich with figurative language and words specifically for dragons.

Phonology
Pulmonic consonants
BilabialAveolarPostaveolarVelarUvularGlottal
Plosivep b(2)t dkqʔ
Nasalm n
Trill ʀ
Tap or Flap
Fricatives ʒx(1) ɣ
Lateral fricative
Approximant

Other consonants

Dental click /ǀ/

Postaveolar click /!/(3)

Voiceless labial-velar fricative /ʍ/

Ejectives /p'/, /k'/, /t'/, /q'/

Vowels
FrontCentralBack
Closeiu
Close-mido
Open-mid
Openɑ

(1) /x/ may sometimes be realized as /χ/ in some areas, such as Paldea, before /o/ and /u/. It may also be realized as /h/ across dialects.

(2) /b/ may be realized as /ʙ/ at the start of words in Johtonian dialects.

(3) Click consonants are typically found in words originating from areas with dragons such as Swablu and Altaria.

(4) Most consonants can also be palatalized (/◌ʲ/), except for /x/, /ɣ/, and /ʔ/.
Draconic favours open syllables, and /n/ is the only consonant that can serve as a coda. /ʔ/ can only appear in between a vowel and a consonant/vowel. Stress is almost always on the penultimate syllable.
Romanization
/p/ - p
/b/ - b
/t/ - t
/d/ - d
/k/ - k
/q/ - q
/ʔ/ - -
/m/ - m
/n/ - n
/ʀ/ - r
/s/ - s
/ʒ/ - z
/x/ - x
/ɣ/ - g
/ǀ/ - c

/!/ - !

/ʍ/ - w

/p'/ - p'

/k'/ k'

/t'/ t'

/q'/ q'

Palatalization is romanized as "y" (ex. ny)

Grammar

Draconic follows a SOV structure (i.e. “Mary apple ate.”).

The definite article is “ni”, and the indefinite article is “so”. Either one can be used for both singular and plural nouns.

For plural nouns: If the noun ends in -a or -an, it is replaced with -asa. If the noun ends with -n, --asa (with a glottal stop) is attached to the end. For all other nouns, the -asa is attached to the end.

In the singular form, all adjectives end in -o or -on. In the plural form, all adjectives end in -oso. Adjectives come before the noun they modify.

The comparative is expressed with the prefix da- attached to the adjective. The superlative is expressed with the prefix ka- instead of da-, and the word “titimi” (lit. “greater”) before the greater noun.

Politeness is a pretty important part of Draconic. There are four levels of politeness: for those below you, for those who are your equal, for those who are above you, and leaders/dragons.

Subject pronouns are i (I/me), oti (you below), ti (you equal), timi (you above), timia (you leader), zhio/bio (he/she)(1), iati (we), and piati (they all).

Possessive pronouns are io (my), otio (your below), tio (your equal), timio (your above), timiano (your leader), zhiono/biono (his/sherhe), iatio (our), and piatio (their).
Verb infinitives end in -ano. Conjugations include:

1. Present tense (-ana)
  2. Past tense (-anota)
  3. Imperfect past tense (-anada)
  4. Pluperfect (-anada)
  5. Conditional (-atono)
  6. Imperative (-aba)(2)

Adverbs end in -ni (except tagigi, “completely”) and come after the verb they modify.

Stress usually falls on the second to last syllable (the exception being accented vowels).

For adjectives, the negative is expressed with the prefix ach-.

(1)For singular "they", gender neutral third person pronouns, there's been a few proposals for neopronouns, with the most popular being "rio".

(2) There are a few irregular verbs (note to self: expand on those later).

Back
Top Bottom