• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Faith (PG-13, Original/AU)

Maybe Wednesday

~green~
Reaction score
This is a pretty safe fanfic, but there may be a bit of violence later on, and some characters may well become more than friends, so I rated it PG-13 just to be safe. This is mostly Original, with cameos from canon characters later on. I welcome constructive criticism, comments and questions, whether they are posted here, PMed, or left on my user profile. Without further ado, here we go!

Faith
Episode One: Where to start?

Hey all! I’m Kenji Sasaki, and this is the story of how I became the great Pokémon Trainer that I am today.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many pairs of feet drummed the bricks of Prosperity Square that fateful day in Mizu City. I had spent almost the whole morning here, sitting on the rim of the famous Fountain of Prosperity, and I was getting annoyed. As I sat with my laptop, waiting for him to arrive, I contemplated my surroundings for about the fiftieth time that morning.

The Fountain of Prosperity itself stood in the centre of Prosperity Square, a bustling marketplace all year round. The square was pedestrians-only, except on special occasions, like the annual Parade Day, where multicoloured floats entered one side of the square, orbited slowly around the fountain, and exited on the other side, amid many cheers and much celebration; Parade Day was the biggest non-traditional festival in Mizu City.

The Fountain of Prosperity was a work of magnificent architecture in its own right; it was a beautiful structure, with sweeping curves, like the ocean, being the dominant motif. Around the base was carved a sleeping stone Milotic, incredibly lifelike, almost seeming as if it would awaken at any moment. Ironically, however, the Fountain of Prosperity was one of the least prosperous things in the city at the moment; there was a water shortage, the worst drought in living memory, so the city’s board of governors had elected to put the fountain out of order indefinitely.

Ironic, really, I thought, considering that Mizu was a port city. But the governors had come up with some feeble excuse involving salt water versus fresh water, and pipes damaging Water Pokémon habitats, et cetera ad nauseum.

I was distracted by the arrival of my contact, a slim, bookish man with heavy glasses, bleach-blond hair that stuck out at odd angles, and a white lab coat with what looked like coffee spilled down the front. All this, combined with the confused, slightly vacant expression on his face, was gaining him many funny looks from passers-by. I snapped shut my laptop, slid it into my bag, and walked over to him.

“Good morning,” I said politely. “Dr Jonah, I presume?”
“Oh, hello,” he said, blinking owlishly. “Yes, that’s me. I take it you have not been waiting long?” I laughed hollowly.

“Well, Doctor,” I said, “The Professor said you would be here ‘this morning’. Only after he had left did I realise he had not specified when exactly you intended to be here. I therefore had no option but to arrive here at eight’ o’clock this morning. Trust me, Doctor, the last three and a half hours of my life were most enjoyable indeed,” I said this last through gritted teeth, trying to hide my frustration.”

“Oh? Well, that’s all right then!” he said happily, bouncing on the balls of his feet. “Let’s be off, then! Don’t want to keep the Professor waiting, eh?” I rolled my eyes at the sky and followed him and his coffee stain to the other side of Mizu City.

Fifteen minutes’ walk later, we came to the lab, an unassuming red-brick building on the outskirts of the city. I entered cautiously; several bird Pokémon were flapping around the rafters, squawking and twittering loudly.

“Ah, here’s the man himself!” boomed a jovial voice. I turned to look. The speaker was a short, squat, balding man with a neatly clipped white beard, fighting his way through a cloud of Starly and Pidgey to get to us. “Blasted birds!” he muttered under his breath as he reached us. “Well, m’boy, here y’are. I do hope you’re familiar with the, er, uh...” he appeared to be having trouble finding the right word.

“Procedure, Professor?” I suggested quietly.

“By Tom, Dick’n Harry! You’re right, m’boy!” Professor Kauri, no matter how absent or playful he may seem, was a respected Pokémon researcher of worldwide renown, often described as being in the league of such famous names as Oak, Ivy, Elm, Birch, and Rowan, among others. He was also a good friend of my mother’s, and he had kindly agreed to start me off as a Pokémon Trainer.

“And yes, Professor, I am quite familiar with the procedure.” I was. Here in the Hakaito region, people could become Trainers only after my thirteenth birthday. I had heard that, in other parts of the world, you could become a Trainer aged ten, but that was prosperous. Kids that young weren’t even allowed to own Pokémon here, let alone battle with them. Aspiring Trainers here had to pass a knowledge, skills and personality test, to prove that they were responsible enough to own Pokémon.

I won’t go into all the details of the test, but it took nearly an hour of being grilled by Professor Kauri to finish. There were questions on topics such as habitats of common Pokémon, types of PokéBalls, descriptions of commonly used moves, and other such boring stuff. Finally, Professor Kauri declared that I had an excellent knowledge of Pokémon, and he would have no qualms in signing my Trainer’s license.

“Now, m’boy!” Why did he always have to call me that? “It’s time for you to choose a Pokémon to begin your adventure with!” I said nothing. I didn’t need to. Kauri pulled out a tray with several PokéBalls on it, and began describing the first one, something called a Squirtle, but I stopped him, passing my hand slowly over the tray, closing my eyes as I did so. I passed over several PokéBalls silently, but one in particular caused me to pause. I clamped my hand down on it firmly. Yes, it felt...right.

“I’ll take this one,” I told the Professor, my eyes still closed.

“A wise choice, m’boy, albeit an unusual way of choosing it,” said the Professor’s voice from my left elbow.

“Hm,” I smiled, preferring not to comment. I simply thanked the Professor, received the standard equipment (Bag, PokéBalls, PokéDex, PokéNav, TM Case, Berry Bag, Town Map etc), listened patiently to his lecture on being a responsible Trainer, and took my leave. I decided that I was going to drop by home, touch base with my mum, and then leave in the morning on my great adventure. I was getting excited in spite of myself!

My mum, Sasuke, was very much overwhelmed by the whole affair. She was very impressed by my new Pokémon, (“It’s so cute!”) but seemed to be trying not to cry. On the contrary, my little brother, Tomasu, was pleased to see me go!

The next morning, I gave my mum my PokéNav number, told her not to cry, told Tomasu to be good, and hit the road without further ado. It was a very emotional farewell on my mum’s part, and even I felt a strange sensation in my gut as I headed off. I wasn’t sure when I would see them in person again, but I knew it would not be for a long time indeed. Once I was out of sight of home, I paused and looked back, my gut churning. This was the place where I had grown up, where I had learned everything I knew. So many happy memories; at that moment, I vowed to treasure those happy memories forever.

I pulled out my Town Map, and scanned it through blurred eyes. It even had the Gyms marked on it, six in total, scattered throughout the Hakaito region. There was one here in Mizu Town, I already knew, but I was nowhere strong enough for a Gym challenge yet. I decided to hit the east road, and come back to Mizu Gym later. Slipping on my favourite sunglasses, I walked off, into the sunrise.

End of Episode One
Episode Two coming soon!

Last edited:
This fic is very well-written in my opinion. There is enough of third-person description instead of the usual, omniscient ,outright telling of the setting, although a little more wouldn't hurt.

I'll hazard a guess that you'll be doing a battle scene soon. Some people can write beautiful scenes, but don't know how to describe a battle scene smoothly. So I'll just say I'll be looking forward to your battle-writing style ;-).

That Professor Kauri seems really annoying, like the anime Mr. Backlot. Good to see that different characters have different personalities, even having different speech patterns to boot.

And, ah, an unusual explanation to how trainers get their starters. Usually, there would be no explanation at all. You actually bothered to cover the loose ends, which is quite an achievement itself.

Last edited:
Thankyou!

Thanks Jayc, that sort of positive feedback really means a lot to me!
You're right, there will be a battle scene in the next episode, but only vs a wild...something, not saying what. I will keep your comments in mind!

DISCLAIMER: This is not related to my contest fic, I just liked the character name and the title. But I may well rewrite that fateful battle into this fic later on.

Last edited:
That was very well-written! I must say, I'm absolutely jealous. . =( I need to improve. .

Congratulations! I'm very impressed by the flow of your story and by the way you write. =] I knew I spotted a winner when we first started to RP! Keep up the marvelous work.

Episode Two-All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Just a brief note, I go by anime physics in this fic, hammerspace included. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------

Episode Two-All That Glitters Is Not Gold

By the end of that first day, I had come a long way. Looking back, I could not even see Mizu City. I stood silently on the road, looking back towards home and the sunset; as I did so, my new Pokémon released itself from its PokéBall.

“What do you think, Eevee? Have we come far enough for today?” Eevee, a small, brown, fox-like Pokémon with a large ruff, squeaked her agreement, then promptly lay down in the middle of the road and pretended to fall asleep. I laughed and picked her up. “Come on, Eevee, you can’t sleep there! Let’s find somewhere better,” I suggested. In a few minutes, Eevee spotted a sheltered spot underneath a large oak. It was a clear night, so I didn’t bother with the tent, sleeping under the stars in my sleeping bag.

The next morning, I woke very suddenly for no apparent reason. I looked around, trying to figure out what had caused this. I didn’t have to look far; not far from my bag, Eevee was facing off with a little black bird Pokémon. The strange Pokémon had a selection of small, shiny items from my pack scattered around its feet, and it was watching Eevee warily.

“Eevee!” I said in surprise, “It seems like you’ve caught a thief red-handed!” I examined the Pokémon carefully; I didn’t recognize it immediately. I was struck by a sudden thought. The PokéDex! I pointed at the strange Pokémon, and an LED on the top flashed, the device bleeped, and it said,
“Murkrow – the Darkness Pokémon. It is believed that seeing this Pokémon at night will bring about ominous occurrences.” I blinked.

“Sounds interesting!” I said. “Go get ‘em, Eevee! Use Tackle!” Eevee shot toward the Murkrow, but she wasn’t fast enough. The Murkrow squawked and took off, flapping around us, beating its wings against my head and being a general nuisance. “Again, Eevee!” I cried. Eevee leapt into the air, slamming into the Murkrow, sending it flying into a tree.

The Darkness Pokémon recovered quickly. Circling around, its beak glowed a brilliant white. It then flew at Eevee like a bullet. The PokéDex bleeped in my pocket.

“Peck,” it said, “A basic Flying-type attack.”

“Shut up,” I told it, “Eevee, get out of the way!” Eevee turned tail and ran. Murkrow’s beak stopped glowing, but it was suddenly surrounded by an eerie purple aura; it then flew after Eevee at double the speed it had been going before. It slammed into Eevee, sending her tumbling head over tail.

“Whoa!” I exclaimed. “What was that?” Again, the PokéDex supplied the answer.

“Pursuit,” it said, somewhat loftily, I imagined, “A basic Dark-type attack that inflicts double damage on a fleeing opponent.”

“So that’s why Eevee was hit so hard! That is such a cool move!” It was then that I decided that I had to have this Pokémon. I pulled a PokéBall from my bag, and tossed it at the Murkrow. It turned to red light and was sucked inside. The PokéBall fell to the ground. “Yes!” I shouted.

But it was not going to be that easy, it seemed. The ball rocked a few times, before bursting open and returning to me, leaving me with an empty PokéBall and a very irritated Murkrow. What was it I had learned from Professor Kauri? A wild Pokémon must be weakened before capture, or else it will probably break out of its PokéBall. That was it! I cursed my forgetfulness.

“The amnesia must be coming on early,” I muttered, then realised that I still had a Pokémon to catch, or at the very least, a battle to win. “Eevee, use Tackle again!” It was risky, as it was so predictable, but it was worth a shot. It worked like a charm. Murkrow had been swooping around, preparing itself for another Peck, by the looks of it, when it was hit full force by Eevee’s attack. For the second time that morning, the Darkness Pokémon collided headfirst with a tree. I winced. That had to hurt. The Murkrow was now stumbling around on the ground.

“Now! Go, PokéBall!” came a voice. A PokéBall flew in from the side, capturing the Murkrow. I looked up in shock, my own PokéBall in my hand; I had been about to throw it. A boy not much older than me with a shock of blond hair was standing there, smirking.

“Looks like I got me a Murkrow,” he sneered aggressively, “Oh, and thanks for doing all the work for me!” He swaggered over, picked up the PokéBall and clipped it to his belt.

“Hey! You can’t do that!” I said incredulously. The boy, who had been about to leave, tossed his head arrogantly and said,

“Watch me.” I glared at him. Now that the disbelief was over, I was beginning to get angry, and believe me, I don’t get angry easily.

“Now look here, moron! I fought that battle; I did all the work-”

“Terribly considerate of you, it was, too,” he snickered, interrupting me rudely.

“So I should get the Pokémon!” I steamrollered over the top of him. “Battle time!” I said, pulling Eevee’s PokéBall from my belt. She was weak after her battle with Murkrow, but I had no choice. The kid grinned, and his eyes lit up maliciously.

“You’re on!” he said, throwing a PokéBall. “Go, Machop!” I winced. Now Eevee had a type disadvantage, as well as being weakened. But still, I had no choice. I called her out. When Eevee saw who her opponent was, she looked round at me uncertainly. I nodded reassuringly.

“I have faith in you, Eevee,” I told her. The kid laughed, and called a Karate Chop. “Dodge it, Eevee!” I called. Eevee was fast, but Machop kept raining down Karate Chops, and I was sure that one of them would hit eventually if I didn’t do something fast. “Eevee, use Tackle!” Eevee hit Machop with a Tackle, knocking it down, but not doing much damage.

It was then that Eevee did something odd. Turning around, she used her back paws to kick up copious amounts of dust into Machop’s face. She then turned back and used Tackle of her own volition. Machop went down hard, spitting dust and rubbing its eyes.

“Eevee! You learned Sand-Attack!” Eevee squeaked happily. “Well done! Now finish this off with another Tackle!” Eevee gladly obliged, sending Machop skidding, out of the battle.

The rude kid appeared to be in a state of shock. He returned his Pokémon and walked over to me as if in a daze. He took Murkrow’s PokéBall from his belt, and with sudden vehemence, threw it on the ground at my feet, spitting after it.
“Keep it!” he said angrily. “And if we ever meet again, the name’s Bert.” He turned and stormed off.

“I’m Kenji!” I called after him. “I can’t say it was nice to meet you, because it wasn’t, but see you round anyhow!”

I turned and walked back to the road, letting both my Pokémon out and crouching down to their level.

“He was such a loser, eh guys?” Eevee squeaked agreement, and Murkrow squawked and flapped its wings, which I took to mean yes. “Welcome to the gang, Murkrow!” I said, standing up and pointing east along the road. “Next stop, Asu City!”

End of Episode Two

Episode Three coming soon!

So true, E-man. I kind of forgot about that after Episode One; I tend to do that sort of thing. And sure, I'll read your fic as soon as I post EP003

I stood silently on the road, looking back towards home and the sunset; as I did so, my new Pokémon released itself from its PokéBall.

This is an example of a sentence that could do with more description. How did your Pokémon escape from its Pokéball? You could have gotten an opportunity to slip some humour into the description as well.

“The Darkness Pokémon recovered quickly. Circling around, its beak glowed a brilliant white. It then flew at Eevee like a bullet. The PokéDex bleeped in my pocket.

“Peck,” it said, “A basic Flying-type attack.”

“Shut up,” I told it,

I lol'd at this one.

“Eevee! You learned Sand-Attack!”

I think it would have been more appropriate if the PokéDex had told you that. Probably just me nitpicking, but still...

Before you post a chapter, it is generally very useful to read and reread it. What sounds awkward? Is there anything I missed? How can I improve on this sentence? Sometimes, you will be surprised at how something that sounded nice at first can turned out to be highly dissatisfactory after rereading a few times.

Before you post a chapter, it is generally very useful to read and reread it. What sounds awkward? Is there anything I missed? How can I improve on this sentence? Sometimes, you will be surprised at how something that sounded nice at first can turned out to be highly dissatisfactory after rereading a few times.

That's what I'm doing with EP003-My Bulbabuds all told me I wasn't using enough detail. EP002 was a bit rushed. As always, thankyou for your feedback. =D

Episode Three-A Contest Master

Episode Three-A Contest Master

Once I arrived in Asu City, my first priority was, of course, my Pokémon. For that, I needed a Pokémon Centre. However, I was totally lost. As I had never been to Asu City before, I didn’t know where anything was, and there appeared to be nobody around to ask for directions. I ran along empty street after empty street, desperately searching for someone, anyone to ask.

Eventually, I slowed down, running out of breath. It was only then that I started looking around. I decided to walk slowly; after all, there was no hurry. The more I looked at Asu City, the more I appreciated its beauty. I had thought that the Fountain of Prosperity was a work of architecture, but this...this was something else, a whole new level. Everywhere I looked, I saw sweeping walls, mock turrets, beautiful old-style bricks, and in one instance, a house in a tree; just like the ones I had heard that people had in Fortree City in Hoenn.

The city was very well presented in general, with no high-rise buildings, lots of parks, lakes and bright, colourful boulevards. I was walking through one of these beautiful parks, admiring the neatly trimmed flowerbeds, when I spied a large, red ‘P’ poking up over the trees. Wondering what this could mean, I hastened toward it. What I saw once I cleared the trees was a large, pink building with people hurrying in and out of it busily. It had the words “Pokémon Centre” written in large black letters on the front.

The Pokémon Centre, I noticed as I made a beeline for it, was situated on a verdant lakefront, with trees and flowers planted all around. As I got closer, I saw scores of Combee and Butterfree buzzing and flitting around, lending the place a natural feel, as if it had stayed like this, untouched, since the dawn of time. As I drew nearer still, I noticed an enormous crowd gathered around something on the opposite side of the lake. I squinted, but could not make out what it was. I made a mental note to go and check it out later.

I pushed through the glass double doors of the Pokémon Centre, and was met by a welcoming foyer, coloured in soft yellows and pinks. Altogether, it was quite a pleasant effect. I approached the nurse behind the counter and said,

“Excuse me? Is this the place where I can leave my Pokémon to be healed?”

“Oh, hello,” she said, smiling, “You must be a new Trainer. I’m one of the Nurse Joys! And yes, this is the place.” I was about to ask her what exactly she meant by being ‘one of the Nurse Joys’, but I was more worried about my Pokémon.

“I have an Eevee and a Murkrow,” I said, “And they’re both pretty beat. Can I leave them with you?” Nurse Joy smiled.

“Of course! That’s what we’re here for!” I handed over my PokéBalls, thanked her, and then sank into a chair tiredly.

I was so glad that I had finally made it. I now knew that my Pokémon were in good hands, which was a weight off my mind. I felt like I was drifting off to sleep when Nurse Joy spoke again.

“You’re from out of town, right?” she asked. I opened my eyes slowly and blinked at her.

“Yes...how could you tell?” She laughed.

“If you were a local, you’d be down at the lakefront. Everyone in town is there! I would be, if I didn’t have to hold down the fort here. Even Chansey went...” She trailed off, staring out of the window wistfully towards the lake.

“But...why?” I asked. Nurse Joy continued to gaze dreamily at the crowd of people on the other side of the lake, until I cleared my throat sharply, my curiosity piqued.

“Oh!” she exclaimed, blushing. “The famous Pokémon Coordinator Wallace is making a public appearance to announce something.” I was curious.

“Pokémon...Coordinator?” I queried. Nurse Joy looked puzzled. “I’ve never heard the term before,” I explained.

“A Pokémon Coordinator is someone who competes in Pokémon Contests,” she said. “In a Contest, you show off your Pokémon’s appearance, not its strength.” Personally, I thought it sounded like an utter waste of time and effort, but I didn’t think it would be wise to say that.

“And Wallace?” I asked. I was curious as to who this guy was. He sounded interesting.

“Only the best Pokémon Coordinator in the world,” said Nurse Joy dreamily, “Who sponsors the biggest Pokémon Contest in the world – the Wallace Cup!” Bigheaded bozo, I thought. Name it after yourself, why don’t you. “Not only that, but he is the handsomest, most charming gentleman you could ever find!” I had my doubts about that, too. “Everybody says that the location of the next Wallace Cup is what he’s going to be announcing today, and the money is on it being right here in Asu City!” Oh, joy, I thought to myself, and then chuckled at the irony of that thought.

Nurse Joy seemed to realise what she had been saying at this point. She blushed crimson, and quickly handed me back my two PokéBalls. I started to thank her when Eevee released herself from her PokéBall again. She chased her tail in circles on the floor, squeaking hyperactively.

“How to you do that?” I marvelled. I picked her up, tucked her firmly under my arm, thanked Nurse Joy (In full this time) and left, still trying to work out how Eevee managed to get out of her PokéBall on her own. I decided to go around the lake to see this Wallace character.

Halfway there, though, I was distracted by a ruckus down an alleyway. I heard several voices raised angrily. The prelude to a battle? I peered down the alleyway cautiously, and what I saw was very strange. A young man, dressed in an elaborate suit of green and white, complete with cape, was backed up against a wall by half-a-dozen or so angry-looking men and women in identical uniforms – black with a red ‘R’ on it. One of the strange men stepped forward, pointing at the man in the cape, and spoke.

“Hand over your Pokémon, Wallace! I won’t tell you again!”

“I told you idiots, they’re all at the Pokémon Centre!” complained Wallace.

“You’re lying!” snarled the man aggressively. “The Team Rocket boss wants your Pokémon and he’s gonna get them, no matter what you say!” I didn’t know what the situation was, but these goons that called themselves ‘Team Rocket’ appeared to be trying to steal this Wallace’s Pokémon, and I knew that couldn’t be right. I had to do something. The lead goon had just sent out his Nidoking and was menacing Wallace with it.

“Eevee, use Tackle!” The goons looked around in surprise, just in time to see Eevee go crashing into the Nidoking. The other five immediately called out their own Pokémon; a Nidoqueen, a Skuntank, a Drapion, a Muk, and a Seviper. Nidoking hadn’t been hurt much, and Eevee couldn’t fight six of them at once. I called out to her, and she came to stand just in front of me, ready to fight.

My heart sank in dismay as the six Poison-types loomed over Eevee. We were way out of our league here, I could tell. But before I could do anything, Wallace made his move, taking advantage of Team Rocket’s distraction to push past them, eventually coming to stand next to me in a swirl of his cape.

“You were telling the truth, weren’t you?” I muttered to him. “You don’t have any Pokémon with you at all, right?”

“Right,” he replied ruefully, “But if we can just get to the Pokémon Centre, I can collect them and destroy these fools!” He seemed rather pleased with this idea.

“You can battle, too?” I asked him, “I thought you were into Contests?”

“My dear boy, one does not become a Pokémon Champion without having a few battles,” he said coolly. I looked at him with newfound respect. Nurse Joy hadn’t mentioned that! “So shall we go?” he asked, with the air of someone suggesting a stroll in the park. I nodded firmly, and we both turned and ran.

To Be Continued...

End of Episode Three

Episode Four coming soon!

There's a bit more description in this one, good.

BUT!

Where the heck is everybody if they're not in the streets, in the Pokémon Centre nor fawning over Wallace?!

EDIT: Never mind. When I reread the chapter a few more times, I figured that everyone would probably at the lakeside, waiting for Wallace.

And now after rereading, I get even more confused.

Dragon user X said:
My heart sank in dismay as the six Poison-types loomed over Eevee. We were way out of our league here, I could tell. But before I could do anything, Wallace made his move, taking advantage of Team Rocket’s distraction to push past them, eventually coming to stand next to me in a swirl of his cape.

“You were telling the truth, weren’t you?” I muttered to him. “You don’t have any Pokémon with you at all, right?”

“Right,” he replied ruefully, “But if we can just get to the Pokémon Centre, I can collect them and destroy these fools!” He seemed rather pleased with this idea.

“You can battle, too?” I asked him, “I thought you were into Contests?”

“My dear boy, one does not become a Pokémon Champion without having a few battles,” he said coolly. I looked at him with newfound respect. Nurse Joy hadn’t mentioned that! “So shall we go?” he asked, with the air of someone suggesting a stroll in the park. I nodded firmly, and we both turned and ran.

Wait, so you and Wallace ran away with six Poison-Types still looming over Eevee? And they didn't do a thing to stop you?

Last edited:
Wait, so you and Wallace ran away with six Poison-Types still looming over Eevee? And they didn't do a thing to stop you?

This is Team Rocket we're talking about. They're not that smart! Besides, I just took it for granted that Eevee ran for it too.

Well, then, you'll have to be a lot more descriptive than that. Besides, I don't think everyone in Team Rocket is that slow-witted.

Sorry about constantly nitpicking. Though you know, if you've been rereading one chapter for the eleventh time and still manage to find enough dissastisfactory work to merit a complete overhaul, well, that's what your brain would naturally do.

Yes, I'm working on a fic too. Probably why I'm in my nitpicking mode, subjecting every piece of work that I see to the same treatment as my own. Again, sorry. It's just something I can't help doing.

Last edited:
Episode Four-Don’t Talk to Strangers

That's no problem! Here's the continuation!

------------------------------------

Episode Four-Don’t Talk to Strangers

Wallace and I ran hard. He was taller, so he ran faster, but he slowed his pace a little to let me keep up. My mind was buzzing with questions, but I didn’t have enough breath to ask them all now, so I just put my head down and kept running. We reached the Pokémon Centre quickly, but the Team Rocket grunts were right behind us. Thinking fast, I pushed Wallace through the glass doors, and then turned to face the incoming attack. Detaching both PokéBalls from my belt, I tossed them in the air. Eevee and Murkrow appeared, apparently ready for anything. I just hoped they could hold out for long enough.

The grunts pulled up in front of me, releasing their Pokémon again. They spread out into a semicircle. The only place I could go was into the Pokémon Centre, and I wasn’t letting these losers in there, that was for sure. The grunt who had spoken before stepped forward again, with his Nidoking by his side.

“Move it, kid!” he growled. “If you get your sorry little butt out of the way now, we won’t hurt you. If you keep trying to stop us, we’ll grind you and your,” he glanced disdainfully at Eevee and Murkrow, “pathetic little Pokémon to a pulp!” I returned his angry gaze coolly. Playing for time, I asked,

“So who are you guys, anyway? You call yourself Team Rocket, but I’ve never heard of you. Are you some kind of football club, or something?”

“Hey!” the woman with the Nidoqueen said angrily. “We of Team Rocket are an organized crime syndicate, operating throughout the world. We steal rare and valuable Pokémon and sell them for tons of cash! It’s pure genius! And you call us a football club...” She glared at me sulkily.

“Er...Josie?” said the first grunt. “Why did you tell him that?” Josie went bright red and clapped a hand over her mouth. “I’m surrounded by imbeciles,” he muttered. “Never mind! We’ll just have to get rid of all witnesses! Nidoking, Hyper Beam!” Nidoking began to charge, drawing power into its mouth. I started to panic. Where was-

“Hold it right there!” commanded Wallace, bursting through the front door of the Pokémon Centre and taking a stance in front of me, PokéBall in hand. As a matter of fact, the PokéBall was the only thing about him that I was pleased to see.

“Lose the pose!” I hissed. Wallace ignored me. I didn’t really blame him, I suppose.

“Go! Milotic!” he cried. I stared as the most beautiful Pokémon I had ever seen appeared, sending Team Rocket scurrying back several metres. The serpentine Milotic threw back her elegant head, and sang a single note, high and clear. I rolled my eyes. I could so tell that this Pokémon had been bred for showing off. But I could not deny that it was effective. Milotic’s scales shone like the sun, and had the lustre of pearls. Her pink-and-blue tail swished gracefully as she somehow managed to float in midair.

The Nidoking’s Hyper Beam shot towards Milotic, as did attacks from all the rest of the Pokémon.

“Dragon Pulse, Milotic!” Wallace commanded magnificently with an elaborate sweeping gesture. I noticed that people were beginning to trickle around from the other side of the lake; presumably, Wallace was performing for their benefit. I shook my head in exasperation, but I was glad him and his Milotic were there to help. Milotic sang another note as it began to spin. It span faster and faster, and then stopped stock still, sending a wave of purple energy surging outward, vaporizing all six attacks, and sending the Pokémon flying back, crashing into their trainers.

“Now, Milotic! Show them what your Twister can do!” Milotic summoned up a swirling tornado, which she sent flying at Team Rocket, singing happily all the while. The goons were all sucked into the Twister, and then deposited in an undignified pile on the ground. Josie and the leader extricated themselves hurriedly and recalled their Pokémon. Josie turned to point at the two of us angrily.

“You won’t get away with this!” she screamed. “You’ll pay, you twerps will both pay!” The leader was tugging urgently on her arm, looking nervously around at the ever-growing crowd, but to no avail. “I swear I’ll get you both back, if it’s the last thing I ever do!” she screeched. “This humiliation will not go by without retaliation! Team Rocket is merciless to those who oppose it!” Having said her piece, she allowed herself to be dragged away by the other goon, who pushed a way through the crowd.

The other grunts got to their feet, looking wildly around for an escape route, but the crowd was now incredibly thick, and seconds later, an Arcanine and several Growlithe appeared, followed by half a dozen police officers, who had presumably been providing crowd control on the other side of the lake. Looking at the crowd, I could tell that Wallace was very popular. I saw Wallace hats, Wallace T-shirts, Milotic balloons, and even a sign that said, “Wallace, can you please Coordinate a date with me?” I laughed.

The officer who owned the Arcanine, a young woman with green hair, was dishing out orders to the other five policemen, who promptly handcuffed the Rocket grunts, confiscated their Pokémon, and frogmarched them off. The officer approached us, followed by her Arcanine. She seemed a little nervous around Wallace, but addressed him anyway.

“The Asu City Police Force thanks you, Wallace, for your assistance in apprehending these criminals. We are truly most grateful!” Wallace smiled.

“Not at all, Officer Jenny,” he said.

“You know my name?” she asked, looking both surprised and a little overcome.

“You, and every other Officer Jenny in the world,” he said drily.

“Oh, of course!” she said bashfully. “Again, thank you for all your help!”

“It wasn’t only me,” said Wallace, indicating me. “This young man was instrumental. Those Rockets had me cornered, and he diverted their attention until I could escape. And then, he held them up while I retrieved my Pokémon.”

“Oh, did he really?” asked Officer Jenny, shaking my hand energetically. “Well done, young sir, and thank you as well!” I noticed that she hadn’t shaken Wallace’s hand, but given her nervousness, it wasn’t really surprising. But as she walked off, I saw her Arcanine give Wallace a small wink, and I could have sworn that Wallace returned it. But I was still puzzling over something.

“Wallace, what did you mean by ‘every other Officer Jenny in the world’?” Wallace laughed.

“Officer Jenny has many sisters, all identical, all named Jenny, all police officers who are spread throughout Hakaito. She also has many identical Jenny-cousins in other parts of the world, like Hoenn and Kanto. It’s the same as with all the Nurse Joys,” he indicated the Pokémon Centre behind him, “Her sisters and cousins are all named Joy, and they all run Pokémon Centres in different places.” I digested this information for a minute, trying to make sense of it, but I came up with nothing.

“Weird,” I muttered.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I may as well make my announcement now,” he said. He took a few steps forward, and Milotic, seeming to know what he wanted, landed gently, having been hovering nearby, and Wallace climbed onto her back; she then rose into the air. The crowd fell silent, at a gesture from Wallace.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls,” he began, “I have something to tell you. It is my very real pleasure to announce that in eight months time, this year’s Wallace Cup will be held right here, in Asu City, hosted by yours truly!” The crowd went wild. Obviously, this was exactly what they had been hoping to hear. Wallace raised his voice, and the crowd quieted once more. “The venue will be built specially for this competition, right across the lake there.” He pointed to where he was supposed to be making his speech. “I’ll see you all there! Thank you, Asu City!”

And with this proclamation, he flew away on his Milotic, leaving a trail of shimmering dust behind them. I laughed, and headed for the Pokémon Gym.

End of Episode Four

Episode Five coming soon!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom