• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fake Malware Detections...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

is against stoning.
Reaction score
*Wasn't sure if this should've gone here or not... Move as you please, if need be.

I'd like to bring this to the mods attention that, since yesterday, I've run into three fake virus infection announcements in my browser when I have entered Bulbapedia's home page. I ran McAfee every time, and the scans every time would show no threats. I, personally find this annoying, and for everyone else, those who do not know how to react to the situation may download the possibly harmful protection service that shows up as a result of the "infection."

This is pretty much how it went down:

I clicked on "Bulbapedia" in my favorites section. Just as I got there, my browser would switch to a page saying that my computer has been infected with (insert # here) of viruses, trojan horses, and worms. Then, my browser would ask me if I would like to be protected. I click to be protected, and this thing comes up on my browser for me approve installation of, as I am my computer's administrator. That would be when I click on McAfee in the bar across the bottom of the screen. When the scan is done, it shows as "Threats: 0" and "Items Quarantined: 0."

It should be noted that you can navigate a away from the page, but you have to close the page first and open a new tab/browser. I perform the latter.

If someone out there that holds authority in BMG could look into this, that would be great.

*Also, I encountered the same problem using Google's website, which is why I now have the Bing toolbar.

Last edited:
Re: Fake Virus Infections...

I have gotten this as well except on the 'news.

Same here.

Yeah, I got it a while back too. On my PS3 at that. I thought it was only recent, but apparently not. I'd like to reiterate how the ad thinks everyone who sees it is running some version of Windows Vista with a slave drive. That's just so assumptive that it isn't funny. And it's only barely worthy of the "so bad it's good" label!

I haven't ever gotten this, I have a mac ^_^

We'd prefer you didn't use adblock. We don't get any money if you block the ads, and then where would that leave us as far as running the server goes?

We're currently looking into this issue, however let me say again that if you're going to report something like this, we need screenshots. We can't locate which ad has gotten into our rotation with malicious code and bring it up with our ad company unless we know what it is. Just saying you've got a problem without giving us any details doesn't help anyone.

We'd prefer you didn't use adblock. We don't get any money if you block the ads, and then where would that leave us as far as running the server goes?
I prefer not to be bothered by spyware and/or malware ads.
Also me using it won't kill your server budget.

I'm still getting the fake virus infection.

Yeah, I got it a while back too. On my PS3 at that. I thought it was only recent, but apparently not. I'd like to reiterate how the ad thinks everyone who sees it is running some version of Windows Vista with a slave drive. That's just so assumptive that it isn't funny. And it's only barely worthy of the "so bad it's good" label!

We're currently looking into this issue, however let me say again that if you're going to report something like this, we need screenshots. We can't locate which ad has gotten into our rotation with malicious code and bring it up with our ad company unless we know what it is. Just saying you've got a problem without giving us any details doesn't help anyone.

It just occurred again as I was browsing the article on the move Draco Meteor. Here's a screenshot I took, and just as well, a URL that appeared in my History that led to this page:

View attachment 12892

FVI

Last edited:

I really hate these things... They get really annoying after a while.

And lol at the "Virus Scanner" opening Windows XP in Windows Vista XD

Also me using it won't kill your server budget.

If everyone had that attitude, Bulbapedia wouldn't be running, Insomiac. That's why many things in life, such as less energy consumption, do not happen.

On a MUCH lesser scale, some people don't vote for their favourite act on a talent show, thinking "Oh, they'll win anyway"... Only to find that don't win, leaving them raging about how this guy should have won and that guy shouldn't have.

On a larger scale - Politics. Same thing applies, though. "I won't vote; This party will win, anyway". Only to be fucked off when the party they wanted in lost.

See my point? That attitude is just silly, to be perfectly honest. If you don't want the virus, or whatever it is, then that's fair enough and understandable. But using AdBlock constantly on Bulbapedia really does dent their income and therefore dents the amount of money put into server maintainance, thus making more downtime as the site becomes more and more known.

One person can make a difference. Over used phrase, I know, but that's not the point. Enough individual thoughts of "It's only me; it won't make a difference" ruins it for everybody.

Last edited:

Doesn't having an account get rid of the ads altogether...?

Hikaru, what we need is a screenshot of the ad itself, not the virus infection that we don't know the origin off.

Nevertheless, you'be given me a URL, so I'll pass it on.

I'm not exactly sure what ad, if there is one, that is causing this. It really just shows up at random. You click to go to a new page, and I'm to assume at this point that it doesn't matter what page, and it just shows up.

If everyone had that attitude, Bulbapedia wouldn't be running, Insomiac. That's why many things in life, such as less energy consumption, do not happen.

On a MUCH lesser scale, some people don't vote for their favourite act on a talent show, thinking "Oh, they'll win anyway"... Only to find that don't win, leaving them raging about how this guy should have won and that guy shouldn't have.

On a larger scale - Politics. Same thing applies, though. "I won't vote; This party will win, anyway". Only to be fucked off when the party they wanted in lost.

See my point? That attitude is just silly, to be perfectly honest. If you don't want the virus, or whatever it is, then that's fair enough and understandable. But using AdBlock constantly on Bulbapedia really does dent their income and therefore dents the amount of money put into server maintainance, thus making more downtime as the site becomes more and more known.

One person can make a difference. Over used phrase, I know, but that's not the point. Enough individual thoughts of "It's only me; it won't make a difference" ruins it for everybody.

Please don't SPAM my thread with this. Go to the Soap Box if you want to talk about things like these, please.

Please don't SPAM my thread with this. Go to the Soap Box if you want to talk about things like these, please.

In all fairness, it's not really spamming "Your" thread. It was a singular post about how AdBlocker can give a negative effect on Bulbapedia, even if only used to block adverts that may or may not grant a virus-warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom