• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fallout: Hyper Training

Falconwing

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
According to the main Sun and Moon site

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, you can draw forth a Pokémon’s power to its utmost limit with Hyper Training.

Pokémon grow stronger by raising their levels and increasing their base stats. However, their power is still affected by the individual strengths innate to each Pokémon. Now, with Hyper Training, Pokémon that have grown to Lv. 100 will be able to increase their individual strengths, which has never been possible before.

With Hyper Training, you can increase the strength of the Lv. 100 Pokémon you’ve been adventuring with!

After breaking this down, our best understanding is that this is a way to increase a Pokemon's IVs once they reach level 100. For all of you out there (like me) who spend way too much time breeding to get 31s in every stat, what do you think about this and why are you excited?

One thing I've seen brought up is that the currency spent to use Hyper Training (bottle caps) may be in limited quantities. Magearna is listed as coming with one and that is treated as something special. Perhaps we may be seeing microtransactions in Pokemon Sun and Moon in order to purchase more bottle caps for easy IV raising?

NO, I AM NOT STATING MICROTRANSACTIONS WILL DEFINITELY BE IN GAME

As a reminder, the Bravely Series also features microtransactions and I've never once seen anyone complain about those. For most players Hyper Training will likely never be used. But for competitive players.... Well, that is another matter.

It sounds like if the IV's aren't perfect even if you hit level 100 it's stats can be changed cause you did some hyper training. I bet you can use it freely in other circumstances.

Micro transactions ain't happening though, bottle caps probably are an in game currency for Super hard stuff.

I actually think Bottle Caps will simply be very rare and you have to think very carefully on how to use them. Like you only get five in the whole game and sometimes they come with Event Pokémon, so you can only use it so many times. I very much doubt they're gonna do micro transactions in a game you've already paid for, though you never know with game companies...

Or maybe you can buy them with a lot of BP, like Ability Capsules?

I really...REALLY hope there are no microtransactions. I would, however, be fine if the collection of bottlecaps is done through, say, a battle facility where those bottle caps are the reward instead of/in addition to BP. Or simply bought with BP.

For reference, this is the quote that has me wondering about the mechanic

The Magearna you’ll be able to get will be holding a Bottle Cap, a precious item needed for Hyper Training.

This was given its own section on the site, so it's likely important. And any time a video game calls something precious, it's not going to be commonly found.

EDIT: Serebii made a point on Twitter that on the Japanese site they list Magearna's bottle cap as specifically silver. So perhaps there's different levels and we're simply getting uneasy based on vague wording and industry trends. Here's hoping!

Last edited:
For reference, this is the quote that has me wondering about the mechanic

This was given its own section on the site, so it's likely important. And any time a video game calls something precious, it's not going to be commonly found.

EDIT: Serebii made a point on Twitter that on the Japanese site they list Magearna's bottle cap as specifically silver. So perhaps there's different levels and we're simply getting uneasy based on vague wording and industry trends. Here's hoping!
It's game freak. 3rd versions likely got the axe because DLC makes them inexcusable in this day and age and Madura is heavily against meaningless DLC, Micro transactions are never, and I repeat NEVER are coming to Pokemon. It's one aspect I respect a out the company and if they ever break their word in this department is the day I back down from the franchise.

I think depending on the bottle cap level you get access to a higher training regimen mini game, so unlike ST which would have you unlock levels by beating the previous ones, if you have high enough bottle caps you can get those +12 mini game gains.

It's game freak. 3rd versions likely got the axe because DLC makes them inexcusable in this day and age and Madura is heavily against meaningless DLC, Micro transactions are never, and I repeat NEVER are coming to Pokemon. It's one aspect I respect a out the company and if they ever break their word in this department is the day I back down from the franchise.
I think we have to not praise Masuda as a bastion against useless DLC. He defended third versions over DLC because he wants to "bring a full gaming experience" even though he is essentially charging full price for additional features that would cost a fraction of what he's charging if it was implemented as DLC. Now we have games like Fire Emblem providing an entirely new game at a fraction of the cost Game Freak sells its games. That's why Game Freak can't justify third versions--because another Nintendo company unintentionally called them out with a superior gaming model.

And as for things Masuda says....he literally seems to just say anything to defend his current stance. No hats? That's because you're the protagonist! Never mind that other people wear hats and are NPC! We don't provide DLC because third versions provide a full gaming experience! (read: we can charge you full price for minor changes that DLC's make!). There's no conflict in Pokemon! (says this right after releasing various Pokemon games with real conflict). Now we're going with "we'll never have microtransactions!"

DLC can be a good thing. Mario Kart and Fire Emblem has shown how they can be responsibly used. Pokemon though? Considering how the franchise handles free downloads? I doubt they'd handle DLC well so I'm hoping hyper training isn't relegated to that.

I wonder how it will work. Will one Bottle Cap max a particular stat or will it just increase it by one each time? It could be useful to get particular Hidden Powers if there's some level of control over it.

I do hope it's not a completely horrible method though, I would really like to see competitive open up and be more accessible for all players because it can be incredibly fun and IVs seem to be a particular sticking point for a lot of people not bothering with it/having the time for it. Although the feature already requires a level 100 Pokemon + some items we get through unknown means, so maybe it'll be just as time consuming as breeding except requiring a little less luck for the IV placements.

Mixed on it. This'd be great for Pokemon I already own that are already high-leveled, but not for new Pokemon. Having to wait until the Pokemon is level 100 is a huge annoyance, since I'd have to grind constantly. With Pokemon that level up super slow, I'd be tempted to just go back to the Eugenics Simulator model and breed for quick-and-easy IVs.

I hope we get the option to reduce IVs, too. I know my Trick Room teams and Ferrothorn would benefit so much from this.

Just gotta hope that the caps aren't hard to come back. Although level 100 is still effort anyway XD

Another good addition though

Making the Pokémon level 100 and having to have a rare items seems like a bit much. Outside of legendary event Pokémon level 100 is already a pretty big task.

I'm so excited for this, and I am over the moon in general with the feature. I loved super training, but didn't use it as much and this is an even better idea. I usually always grind my Pokémon to 100 anyway, doing constant run throughs of the league to train the ones I love. This just amplifies that for me, and I really really love this idea. I wasn't big on super training as I enjoyed EV training the normal way, but I always hated breeding for IVs, this changes things for the better, for me at least.

I hope they are like max revives or max elixer where they are unbuyable but not completely limited.

Pokemiles or BP would be the best system.

But yeah raisible IV's WOOOOO!

Edit: Wait a second the items used are fucking bottlecaps how could they possibly not be available via pickup?

Yeah no I doubt I'll be bothering with this. I barley have the patience to level up my competitive teams to level 50. If they think I have enough time to do it for another 50 levels then they've really underestimated their players, especially considering a large majority are kids (who have never been known to be the most patient bunch).

I think that this is a great idea. While the sixth generation made it a bit easier to do IV breeding, it's still time consuming as heck from what I understand and I would not have the patience for it at all. Plus, I never liked the idea of hatching a ton of Pokemon and potentially releasing them to make more room just for perfect IVs. I think it's a good way for people who might be interested in IVs, but not wanting to spend all that time breeding for the best ones or they don't want to give up on a Pokemon they really like just because it has poor IVs.

It might be a bit much to wait until a Pokemon gets to level one hundred to do Hyper Training, but I can see why they'd want to wait until that stage since IVs are the natural strengths of Pokemon instead of something that can be more easily influenced like EVs. It does help that they've made level grinding a bit easier with the previous generation and they'll hopefully introduce some other ways to level grind in Sun/Moon too. I just hope that Hyper Training being introduced also means that Super Training is still available.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom