• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Family Guy should have ended already?

Should Family Guy have ended already?

• Yes, it's long past it's prime

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No, it should continue!

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo-Floatzel

Jacen the Robot Floatzel
Reaction score
While a lot of people heard the rumor of Simpsons cancellation, this was recently announced in a recent interview with Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane:

(EndPlay Staff Reports) - Hollywood it comes to the unstoppable Seth MacFarlane, one would expect him never to want one of his successful series to end. However, MacFarlane revealed to The Hollywood Reporter that his biggest hit, "Family Guy," should have ended years ago.

The multi-talented 37-year-old explained that he thinks seven seasons is a good run for a television series, and that "Family Guy," now in its tenth season, should end while it's going strong. His fans disagree with him.

"I talk to the fans and in a way I'm kind of secretly hoping for them to say, 'We're done with it.' And there are plenty of people who say the show is kind of over the hill … but still the vast majority go pale in the face when I mention the possibility," MacFarlane explained.

MacFarlane, who is also the creator of the successful series "American Dad" and "The Cleveland Show," both of which he isn't looking to end, would instead like to release "Family Guy" movies every few years after leaving fans with a great final television episode.

"Creatively, that would be the way to do it for me. Do a really fantastic final episode while the show is still strong," he said.

Besides his cartoon trifecta on FOX, MacFarlane is busy getting ready to launch other projects. One of which is a reboot of "The Flinstones" that will tentatively come out in 2013.

MacFarlane's dream, though, would be to bring "Star Trek" back to TV.

The Emmy winner told the Hollywood Reporter, "I don't know who would give me the keys to that car. But I'd love to see that franchise revived for television in the way that it was in the 1990s: very thoughtful, smartly written stories that transcend the science fiction audience."

MacFarlane is also staying busy with the release of his album – that's right, he sings too.

A departure from the over-the-top humor on his animated series, "Music is Better than Words" is a compilation of Big Band songs, NPR reported.

"It's almost like you need the reverse of a Parental Advisory sticker," MacFarlane said. "It's just relaxed, great old music."

Source: Seth MacFarlane: Maybe 'Family Guy' Should Have Ended Already

I found this to be, needless to say, suprising that MacFarlane wanted Family Guy to end.

Strange, I thought the majority wanted Family Guy to end seeing how tiresome and repetitive the jokes are, not to mention too many 80s references.

I'm not surprised at all really. Any show can get dull after going on too long. Some writers can pull it of for longer, but sometimes these shows can get a bit too popular.
I can think of two examples at the top of my head, one being Dragonball, the other some anime named Pokèmon, maybe you've heard of them. Both of these had a planned ending at some point, Pokèmon at the end of season 1 and Dragonball right after the Freeza saga.
Dragonball went downhill pretty quickly IMO, I hate the most of Dragonball Z and feel they could easily just have quit after the original series ended. But it was so popular and still making money, so the executives demanded Toriyama continued making it. Thankfully he decided to actually end it after the Buu-saga, what did the "bosses" do? They made Dragonball GT, seemingly planning to go on until every single fan got bored of it.
Pokèmon in the meantime is currently just repeating old plots in half their episodes.

A good writer knows when to end their shows. Having it continue indefinitely just because someone's still watching is a bad idea.

I'm not surprised at all really. Any show can get dull after going on too long. Some writers can pull it of for longer, but sometimes these shows can get a bit too popular.
I can think of two examples at the top of my head, one being Dragonball, the other some anime named Pokèmon, maybe you've heard of them. Both of these had a planned ending at some point, Pokèmon at the end of season 1 and Dragonball right after the Freeza saga.
Dragonball went downhill pretty quickly IMO, I hate the most of Dragonball Z and feel they could easily just have quit after the original series ended. But it was so popular and still making money, so the executives demanded Toriyama continued making it. Thankfully he decided to actually end it after the Buu-saga, what did the "bosses" do? They made Dragonball GT, seemingly planning to go on until every single fan got bored of it.
Pokèmon in the meantime is currently just repeating old plots in half their episodes.

A good writer knows when to end their shows. Having it continue indefinitely just because someone's still watching is a bad idea.

It was actually the fans that wanted DBZ to continue after the Freiza saga, and the whole same plot in Pokemon could've been solved by using a different protagonist.

As much as I think Family Guy should get it over with, American Dad is still entertaining. The Cleveland Show was a bad idea to begin with.

I don't like any of Seth MacFarlane's shows. It would be nice if Family Guy got cancelled. Also cancel the Cleveland Show.
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to cancel King of the Hill for the Cleveland show.

Yes, Family Guy should have ended a while ago. I stopped watching new episodes a few months into Season 8 because it was so bad, and based on what I know, it's just getting worse. (For the record, I don't watch it anymore at all.)

Probably, but who really cares? It's just a cartoon series. Let them run it to the ground as long as it remains profitable, they'll continue to have the occasional funny joke and episode. It's Fox, it's not like they have better programming ideas to replace it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom