• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Family Recipes

DCM

Man Skilled In All Ways of Contending
Reaction score
Traditionally,recipes are passed down throughout families, usually with one central recipe. I will be posting my families "Apple Pie" recipe when I can find a hard text copy. Do you have any family recipe?

I know........ how to make the most epic sandwich to exist.

Ingredients:
Ham (Preferably whole ham straight off the bone but sliced prepacked ham is fine as long as its nice and thick)
Mayo
Mustard
Lettuce (Or cabbage, spinach, something nice and green)
A Toaster
Bread
Cheese
Salt
Pepper
Parsley (VERY OPTIONAL ACQUIRED TASTE) I just like parsley ^^;
Oven or Microwave or Microwave oven

You toast the bread slices (2).
You warm up the ham slice
After nice and toasty quickly apply a fine coat of mustard and mayo to each individual bread slice.
You add your cheese of choice (I prefer pepperjack not American myself)
You slap on the ham slice. (Nice and thick remember)
You apply a correct amount of lettuce/spinach/cabbage so its not overwhelming but compliments the ham and cheese.
You apply your salt and pepper inside the sandwich so it nicely melds in. (If you have parsley apply now if you want or forever hold your peace)
Slap on the top bread.
Cut into 2 triangles.
Put on plate (Perhaps with some Dorritos and a coke)
EAT

My gramma's cornflake cookies. (Apparently, that is on of the few most bizzare recipes passed down in my family, aside from strawberry-flavored Jell-O with bananas on top!) Oh my Arceus. . . they taste so good. . . Sucks that I don't have the recipe, though :-<

This is a recipe my family uses quite often that we stole from my dad's coworker, and it's a great one if I do say so myself. :p

Mini-Cheesecakes
(For lack of a better name. xD)

Ingredients/Needed Items

2 packages of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (8 oz. package)
1 ¾ cup sugar
2 packages of Crescent Rolls (regular flavor)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick regular butter
Pam cooking spray
1 9x12 sheet pan

Instructions

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray the bottom and sides of the pan with Pam cooking spray.
3. Open and spread one package of Crescent Rolls onto the pan (pat down the dough and cover the entire bottom of the pan, gently pinching all the dough seams together if needed).
4. In a bowl, mix together the two 8 oz. packages of Cream Cheese and one cup sugar to create a cream cheese/sugar mixture.
5. Spread the cream cheese/sugar mixture evenly over the dough in the pan.
6. Open and spread the second package of Crescent Rolls over the cream cheese/sugar mixture in the pan.
7. Melt the stick of butter (in the microwave or on a stove top) and pour it evenly over the second package of Crescent Rolls in the pan.
8. Mix together the remaining ¾ cup of sugar and the one teaspoon of cinnamon in a separate container and sprinkle it evenly over the melted butter.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for ½ hour (rotate at 20 minutes, if necessary).
10. Serve immediately or refrigerate for coolness.

Color-coded for prettiness convenience~

Remind me to get the family's tomato/pasta soup from my grandmother mother. :D

Also my other grandmother's cheese eggplants.

Last edited:
Mainly the only thing passed down in my family is my Nana's super delicious Turkey Stuffing and Dressing :drool:
She makes it with the giblets and neck of the turkey/toasted bread/celery/onions/garlic/bell pepper and i think a little bit of ground beef though i don't personally have the recipe on hand D:
it is the most yummy thing in this world and will gladly pass on the leftover turkey meat for some bowls of stuffing and dressing :D

and the only other thing i can think of would be my mother's goulash, though i think it might be of the standard variety. i'm not sure, i haven't had anyone else's "version" of it to know :X

Remind me to get the family's tomato/pasta soup from my grandmother mother. :D

Also my other grandmother's cheese eggplants.
If I spam your inbox consistently with reminders, will I get an infraction :p

I keed I keed.
Mainly the only thing passed down in my family is my Nana's super delicious Turkey Stuffing and Dressing :drool:
She makes it with the giblets and neck of the turkey/toasted bread/celery/onions/garlic/bell pepper and i think a little bit of ground beef though i don't personally have the recipe on hand D:
it is the most yummy thing in this world and will gladly pass on the leftover turkey meat for some bowls of stuffing and dressing :D

and the only other thing i can think of would be my mother's goulash, though i think it might be of the standard variety. i'm not sure, i haven't had anyone else's "version" of it to know :X
....... forgive me for being ignorant but what is a goulash?

....... forgive me for being ignorant but what is a goulash?

Goulash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looking at that article now, i realize my mother makes it mostly the German/American way, though with lots of pasta noodles lol So ya, basically a thick stew of noodles, hamburger meat, paprika, sugar, onions, (sometimes potatoes), and other random items. It's kinda like the European's Gumbo :p

Goulash is also a slang term in some parts of the United States, particularly the South, for a dish made with miscellaneous left-overs. Noodles or potatoes are usually added thereafter.

@Endeavor ya it's very good, and goes by a few different names depending on where you are from. But it's easy to make and can serve a lot of ppl and be spread out for over a week so that's a plus :D

@Hide in Plain Sight for some reason I read that as marijuana sauce on first read. My family has a couple of great recipes, both traditional Jewish food and good everyday cooking. I'll try to dig up a few to share with everyone over the next few weeks--let me know, especially, if there's interest in the Jewish food. I'll have to ask around for that, but it is worth it.

My family has so many recipes that it's not even funny. Of course, the fact that my grandmother owned her own resturaunt and my parents worked there probably helped too.

But the best is a legendary rib sauce. There are no hard copies and no fixed amounts of ingredients so it cannot be replicated.

And another is my grandfather's dried pork belly. This is something that requires specialized equipment (mainly a type of rope made from banana fiber) AND the proper climate.

Of course, I added a new recipe: a highly complex lentil soup.

Oh god, you haven't lived until the day you've tased my mums baking and puddings.

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Apple Crumble/ Strawberry Curmble/ Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble

And I'm starting to already have my own signature dish....Flapjacks and Rasberry Buns xD (Not pancakes btw)

I have several family recipes. Mostly from my father and step father's side. Once I return home and get my camera working again, maybe I'll post a thread up in here detailing some of the recipes I make. I don't really have anything from my mother's side, since she doesn't really teach me them. It's a shame, really. I do enjoy a lot of those Filipino dishes.

As for the family recipes I know from what I've learned at all from my fathers, here's a list:

Dunn-made Honey Glaze
Holiday Eggnog
Spaghetti sauce
Raspberry Marinade Chicken
Cheddar Meatloaf
Shepherd's Pie
Lasagna
Asley's Chocolate Cake + Icing

Then there are several of my own recipes that I've come up with while living with my fiance. I'll probably get those done at some point in the thread I make later. :U

Vegetarian dishes, I'm lucky my mom cooks the best veggie dishes and I grew up loving them.
She said, her Vegetable curry has been a family tradition dish.

The only really family passed down recipe I know is our "Arthur Sauce" (Arthur is my last name). It's a caramel/toffee-ish sauce that we use on Christmas puddings. It's never been written down, so I'll try and get my mom to tell me the recipe to post it.

We have lots of cookies, but there is one that stand out in my mind. Dot's Chicken. This recipe is a doubled from the norm, by the way.

You'll need

8 kinless boneless chicken breasts
Two to three jars of salted beef
Two cans cream of mushroom soup
16oz sour cream

1. Layer glass baking pan or pans with salted beef

2. Place chicken breasts in pan on top of beef

3. In a suitably sized bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup and sour cream

3. Stir till it's well mixed

4. Pour over chicken breasts in pan

5. Place in a 350 degree oven for approx. 45 minutes

SERVE

It used to be one of my favorite dishes that my mom made. She got it from her mom. Who got it from a friend of the family. It's insanely good, easy, fairly fast, requiring little prep work and cooking it is as simple as setting the timer and waiting.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom