• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Famitsu gives Black and White perfect score: Generation V games to be first Pokémon g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Famitsu gives Black and White perfect score: Generation V games to be first Pokém

HGSS 39, right?

37, actually, which I think is bullshit that it scored so high... but that's another topic for another thread.

Re: Famitsu gives Black and White perfect score: Generation V games to be first Pokém

To my understanding, it's not really a "ninja" if the post was several hours ago.
I was stuck in honey.

And you have a very pessimistic view on reviewers out there. If you want straight-up honest reviews, then either check out the ones by X-Play at http://g4tv.com/games/xplay/ or go to http://www.giantbomb.com/ when the time comes.

Or just listen to some video game podcasts. Trust me, there are plenty of reviewers who still have the passion for writing a review in hopes that it'll be taken as noteworthy and insightful for those seeking guidance. It's not all business and bribes.
It's not pessimism, it's reality. I've spent hours researching the industry, and that's the way it is. Money is more valuable than an honest opinion to businesses. Most honest reviewers do it for free, or peanuts.

And yet, the majority sell themselves out. Look at the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine. The only Nintendo game they've given a bad score was Mario Party 8; practically everything heavily promoted gets an 80%+

It's not pessimism, it's reality. I've spent hours researching the industry, and that's the way it is. Money is more valuable than an honest opinion to businesses. Most honest reviewers do it for free, or peanuts.

And yet, the majority sell themselves out. Look at the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine. The only Nintendo game they've given a bad score was Mario Party 8; practically everything heavily promoted gets an 80%+
But your original question was "Can Reviews really be trusted?", and my reply to that is "Yes".

It would be foolish to say paid reviews don't exist, which is why I didn't say that. It's clear there are sources that have an affinity towards certain games. That's why you need to pick your battles (or in this case, reviewers). Hence why I listed places like X-Play and Giant Bomb, because they know exactly what goes on in the Industry and are actively avoiding ever being part of it. Even the newly brought back EGMi should be a good source since they've got good people working on the inside.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of this

http://kotaku.com/5520937/do-not-trust-this-magazines-review-scores

But, that works too.

While that is true, This still is the first pokemon game to score perfect, Nintendo had pleanty of chances to bribe them for Diamond, Pearl, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver.

They also didn't perfect Score Final Fantasy XIII which was screaming to be bribed to get one. (With the appearance of excellence, you can't really tell that games flaws unless you play it)

I'm just saying just because a person can cheat doesn't mean they did.

You know how hard it is to get paid to write reviews? The internet is so saturated with critics that the majority obviously aren't going to make anything. It isn't a I-am-above-getting-paid-for-my-opinions thing. It is a lack of demand for critics. Don't lay out blanket statements saying every critic is paid by the publisher and is never honest. It isn't some big conspiracy where every review is calculated and predetermined by whatever publisher is releasing the game.

You know how hard it is to get paid to write reviews? The internet is so saturated with critics that the majority obviously aren't going to make anything. It isn't a I-am-above-getting-paid-for-my-opinions thing. It is a lack of demand for critics. Don't lay out blanket statements saying every critic is paid by the publisher and is never honest. It isn't some big conspiracy where every review is calculated and predetermined by whatever publisher is releasing the game.
Didn't say every one is. However, in printed media (aka Newspapers, magazines etc), it's hard to see a review which can be seen as honest (Except for the old UK Nintendo Official Magazine giving Crazy Frog Racer 5%). Buy a magazine and look at a game that's got a lot of advertisements, then read that magazine's review.

The internet is different, because well...I doubt every youtuber who goes on about something they already love is getting paid to say they love it, or a small independent blog is getting paid. It's the larger things that more people read, because companies know Bigger Readership = Bigger Sales.

Just can't wait to play. Wish you can play as an NPC tho. :p

Didn't say every one is. However, in printed media (aka Newspapers, magazines etc), it's hard to see a review which can be seen as honest (Except for the old UK Nintendo Official Magazine giving Crazy Frog Racer 5%). Buy a magazine and look at a game that's got a lot of advertisements, then read that magazine's review.

The internet is different, because well...I doubt every youtuber who goes on about something they already love is getting paid to say they love it, or a small independent blog is getting paid. It's the larger things that more people read, because companies know Bigger Readership = Bigger Sales.

Except there are plenty of examples where this isn't the case. In film criticism, ads for movies that Roger Ebert gives bad reviews appear in the Chicago-Sun Times.

The big online video game critics, like the ones on IGN, GameSpot, G4, etc. have ran ads all over their homepage. Ads for games that have ended up getting mediocre-bad reviews.

Studios and publishers don't (typically) pay to get good reviews, they pay to get advertising on/in well known publications, websites and newspapers that are known for their criticism. Simple as that.

Except there are plenty of examples where this isn't the case. In film criticism, ads for movies that Roger Ebert gives bad reviews appear in the Chicago-Sun Times.

The big online video game critics, like the ones on IGN, GameSpot, G4, etc. have ran ads all over their homepage. Ads for games that have ended up getting mediocre-bad reviews.

Studios and publishers don't (typically) pay to get good reviews, they pay to get advertising on/in well known publications, websites and newspapers that are known for their criticism. Simple as that.
Writers' and Artists' Yearbook clearly states it's a common practice, and that's written by people in the publishing industry.
The problem is, we can't really know which reviews are fabricated or not, because we don't live with the reviewers.

As they're opinion pieces and everyone has their own opinions, people should look at reviews with a grain of salt as it is...but what's smaller than a grain of salt? Because that's what I look at reviews with.

Obviously advertising takes precedence over reviews, however, a lot of the time people will skip an advertisement, as for non-profit websites, they are mainly there to keep the site floating and don't require anyone to pay attention to them. However, if a marketing team can afford it, a good review would be another good push to sell their product.

Problem is, reviewing is a business, and businesses like money. As you said, there's loads of critics, and not everyone can make it. So, if someone wants to put bread on their table, it's understandable why they'd start ;selling their opinion' to make money.

Writers' and Artists' Yearbook clearly states it's a common practice, and that's written by people in the publishing industry.
The problem is, we can't really know which reviews are fabricated or not, because we don't live with the reviewers.

As they're opinion pieces and everyone has their own opinions, people should look at reviews with a grain of salt as it is...but what's smaller than a grain of salt? Because that's what I look at reviews with.

Obviously advertising takes precedence over reviews, however, a lot of the time people will skip an advertisement, as for non-profit websites, they are mainly there to keep the site floating and don't require anyone to pay attention to them. However, if a marketing team can afford it, a good review would be another good push to sell their product.

Problem is, reviewing is a business, and businesses like money. As you said, there's loads of critics, and not everyone can make it. So, if someone wants to put bread on their table, it's understandable why they'd start ;selling their opinion' to make money.

But it isn't that difficult to find critics who don't sell their opinion. X-Play has always been great. I trust the majority of the critics at IGN. When it comes to film, you rarely see critics selling their opinion... gaming is the only real industry with that problem. Still isn't too difficult to tell the difference between a honest and paid-off review. Especially if you look at the critic's history.

But it isn't that difficult to find critics who don't sell their opinion. X-Play has always been great. I trust the majority of the critics at IGN. When it comes to film, you rarely see critics selling their opinion... gaming is the only real industry with that problem. Still isn't too difficult to tell the difference between a honest and paid-off review. Especially if you look at the critic's history.

Or if you read every word of the review, to see where they were straining themselves xD

I still can't see how anyone could write a positive review for Transformers...sure, overall it got mixed reviews, but still...

You don't have to see eye-to-eye with a review for it to be a professionally well done and an acceptable review.

I fear the bigger problem is fans and game companies simply looking at the scores rather than reading the reviews.

Or if you read every word of the review, to see where they were straining themselves xD

I still can't see how anyone could write a positive review for Transformers...sure, overall it got mixed reviews, but still...

Well, you look at someone like Armond White, who obviously isn't getting paid by these studios... he is either the biggest troll in history of film criticism, or he has the worst taste in the history of film criticism.

But when it comes to Famitsu, I have serious doubts that every single 10 was a purchased 10. Especially since Game Freak/Nintendo have had the opportunity to buy a perfect score from Famitsu for years now.

EDIT:

I fear the bigger problem is fans and game companies simply looking at the scores rather than reading the reviews.

Exactly. People tend to just look at ratings and not read a review. Everything you really need to know is in the writing, not the rating. But at the same time, ratings are essential. At least to me. Because a 3-star review could read as a 4-star review (particularly when there is a critic who typically doesn't typically go above a certain rating for a specific genre). You need those ratings there.

And, as an aspiring critic myself, I use ratings to sort movies for later lists as well.

You don't have to see eye-to-eye with a review for it to be a professionally well done and an acceptable review.

To be honest, when I write reviews, I make it a habit to never give a perfect score, because simply, perfection is a delusion.

Looking at the list of games Famitsu have given 40/40, it's increased rapidly over the years, which is suspicious too...

Cool, 40/40? What's new?

>>-Anticipation increasing-<<

While that is true, This still is the first pokemon game to score perfect, Nintendo had pleanty of chances to bribe them for Diamond, Pearl, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver.

They also didn't perfect Score Final Fantasy XIII which was screaming to be bribed to get one. (With the appearance of excellence, you can't really tell that games flaws unless you play it)

I'm just saying just because a person can cheat doesn't mean they did.

This. Just outright saying "oh, it's Famitsu that gave this review, they MUST be being bribed/lying" can be just as bad/stupid as when Famitsu does get bribed... especially when you seriously don't know what or why they gave Black and White those scores, unless you were to dig deeper and read their reviews first.

Wow, this is fantastic! Once September 18th (or 17th due to timezones) I'll be watching Youtube like crazy!

Just because this was scored perfectly by Famitsu does not mean that the previous games (by comparison) weren't good.

Imo, all of the main series games I have played have been entertaining (some more than others [i.e. Platinum over D&P]).

I do seem to realize that Famitsu is scoring a lot of games "perfectly" recently. Is this part of the advertising spur, to make a certain game stand out by the "perfect" scores in relative to the other games (with lower scores)?

To be honest, when I write reviews, I make it a habit to never give a perfect score, because simply, perfection is a delusion.

Looking at the list of games Famitsu have given 40/40, it's increased rapidly over the years, which is suspicious too...
Oooh, that's a bad mentality to have.

Yes, no game is going to be perfect. Every game has its faults. But the reality of the situation is, games can ALWAYS be constantly improved upon. Iteration after iteration after iteration, especially for developers, there might be something that be tweaked or changed for the better. However, there is a point where the game needs to be released and sent out into the wild for the masses to play, whether the game company feels comfortable about it or not.

So never giving a game a perfect score or an A+ or whatever the highest grade is on your arbitrary scale just because it can't reach up to your lofty expectations is being a little misguided. There's nothing wrong with handing over a good review. You aren't going to damage a repuation or lose credibility over giving a game the praise it deserves. If it pushes all the right buttons and scratches all the itches, then you may as well call it a success.

As for Famitsu, I don't have enough information or clout to say if this review was their general feelings or not. It's not my place to disagree or agree with.

Oooh, that's a bad mentality to have.

Yes, no game is going to be perfect. Every game has its faults. But the reality of the situation is, games can ALWAYS be constantly improved upon. Iteration after iteration after iteration, especially for developers, there might be something that be tweaked or changed for the better. However, there is a point where the game needs to be released and sent out into the wild for the masses to play, whether the game company feels comfortable about it or not.

So never giving a game a perfect score or an A+ or whatever the highest grade is on your arbitrary scale just because it can't reach up to your lofty expectations is being a little misguided. There's nothing wrong with handing over a good review. You aren't going to damage a repuation or lose credibility over giving a game the praise it deserves. If it pushes all the right buttons and scratches all the itches, then you may as well call it a success.

As for Famitsu, I don't have enough information or clout to say if this review was their general feelings or not. It's not my place to disagree or agree with.

I'll never give a 100%. I could give a 99%, but not a 100%. I never said I'd never give anything a good or deserving review, just, I'd never give a perfect, because nothing is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom