• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Famitsu gives Black and White perfect score: Generation V games to be first Pokémon g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Famitsu gives Black and White perfect score: Generation V games to be first Pokém

obviously GF didn't care. It would appear they've been improving anyways.

Re: Famitsu gives Black and White perfect score: Generation V games to be first Pokém

Wow, so... this is awesome! I think people tend to be skeptical of famitsu's reviews, but it's a pretty big deal (bragging rights anyways)
I'm definitely anticipating next week!

Well, this is good news. Makes me want to buy the Japanese version even more now (my Japanese knowledge is only basic so I wasn't planning on getting it).

Last edited:

Not surprised....
Same. Pretty much any established and massively popular series born in Japan that has a game come out receives a perfect score these days, despite obvious flaws and features that could be polished.

Though with what's been seen I wouldn't be surprised if it got a very high, if not perfect, score from a "reputable"* source.

* opinion

All I hope is that these games break the records when they become available.

Well, they're off to a good start.

So I guess you guys don't realize that Famitsu is a pretty unreliable source these days and that a 40/40 score from them means nothing?

I'm sure the games are great fun. But I don't need a magazine with a reputation for accepting money from publishers for giving out better review scores to tell me that.

I don't care about reviews at all. I'll buy the game when it comes out, play it as much as I can and then give it my own rating but not immediately. Instead, I'll wait for a while and see if it still feels as great/bad when I first played it.

So I guess you guys don't realize that Famitsu is a pretty unreliable source these days and that a 40/40 score from them means nothing?

I'm sure the games are great fun. But I don't need a magazine with a reputation for accepting money from publishers for giving out better review scores to tell me that.

I'm sure most of us realized it. And if not:

http://kotaku.com/222494/famitsu-for-beginners

Though I do miss the times when people would go nuts over hearing a game (like Wind Waker) get a perfect 40.

^ Ah, so it's probably just a score for those who are already fans.

Still, :)

Meh, Famitsu 40/40s have suffered massive inflation.

I'm as cynical a guy you are going to find, and I know many big review publications accept money from publishers, but I tend to believe at least one of those 10s came from a critic who legitimately dug it that much.

I can accept the "courtesy scores" argument. They have to keep the fanboys and girls buying their product. But to say they are giving good scores to games simply because they have a shitload of advertisements is silly. Is there some chart somewhere that shows every single game ever advertised in Famitsu, and the corresponding score of that game? Because I'd like to see it.

And the other argument is the because publishers pay them to review their games they can't be trusted. In fact, this argument can be made about nearly every publication, website, or newspaper that has ever had written, audio or video criticism, and has a sizable following. Doesn't mean it is true every time. I seriously doubt every single game to get large ad campaigns in Famitsu got a glowing review...

Studios and publishers swaying reviews has always happened, and it always will. If you don't trust Famitsu because they are all corrupt, then whoever you trust, unless this group isn't making any money, is also corrupt.

I don't base my opinion on whether a review is swayed on the score. I base it on what is written. It is easy to tell if a writer is forcing himself to write a good review. It is also easy to tell if what was written sounds like a 9 review, but a 10 was slapped on anyway. To simply label a review as one not to be trusted, without even taking into account what was written, is absolutely ridiculous.

The fact that those scores for the 4th Gen games are SPOT ON is reason enough to assume that Black/White is a great leap forward.
Though, video game critics are the least reputable critics.

The reason why I'm a bit suprised is because gaming magazines like Famitsu, more often than not, very rarily gives scores above a 6 to the games that I'm usually buying. If I didn't make it clear enough though, I seriously don't care what score Famitsu or anybody else gives certain games. All that matters is if I enjoy playing the game(s) myself or not.

Out of curiosity, what WAS written about the games? Has someone translated it? If so, are the reviews spoiler-ific?

Companies pay magazines and stuff to write reviews the way they want (and yes, they do commission negative reviews to make the positive look more realistic), so can reviews really be trusted?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Dogasu. But yeah, it isn't just Famitsu; it's the industry in general.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Dogasu. But yeah, it isn't just Famitsu; it's the industry in general.
To my understanding, it's not really a "ninja" if the post was several hours ago.

And you have a very pessimistic view on reviewers out there. If you want straight-up honest reviews, then either check out the ones by X-Play at http://g4tv.com/games/xplay/ or go to http://www.giantbomb.com/ when the time comes.

Or just listen to some video game podcasts. Trust me, there are plenty of reviewers who still have the passion for writing a review in hopes that it'll be taken as noteworthy and insightful for those seeking guidance. It's not all business and bribes.

RS got 33/40. DP got 3., I believe Platinum got 37, HGSS 39, right? And people complain about the games getting worse. Numbers don't lie, and from the looks of these scores they're getting better. And I agree with 'em.

But how can the 3rd version on 3DS can be better than perfect? As impossible as that sounds, Game Freak will somehow find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom